Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"] (ARTWORK IS *NOT* FINAL!)  (Read 13488 times)

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Budgets are boring
Forced me to get off my @$$ and get a new version of Photoshop - so probably should be thanking you :cheers:

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
    • Bella's Arcade
Forced me to get off my @$$ and get a new version of Photoshop - so probably should be thanking you :cheers:

Haha - either way I'm really grateful for the assist.   :cheers:

So this afternoon I managed to make a little more progress on the CP.  Takes me 3 hours to do something that in my head feels like a 20 minute job.  Anyway, here's what I did:

• Added some bondo to a corner that had gotten chipped when I made the panels way back when.  I mixed up a batch, slapped it on and awaited 30 minutes for it to dry.
  • Sanded the entire CP smooth. 
  • Hit it with 2 coats of BIN Zinsser primer from a rattle can
  • Sanded the entire CP smooth.  It's not perfectly flat but I don't think it has to be because the CPO material is so thick it will hide any small imperfections in the panels.  I am using the good stuff from GameOn Grafix.
  • Wiped down the entire thing with a damp rag to remove dust and let it dry.
  • Used my trusty Awl to punch the holes in the CPO where the buttons and joystick will go.
  • Used a few spring clamps to hold the CPO down in the right place using the holes to line everything up (I had previously marked the hole locations on the control panel).
  • Very carefully peeled back the bottom half of the CPO and cut off the plastic backing with some scissors.  It is worth noting that I cut the backing oss above the bend in the CP.  I thought it would be best if I had the top part stick down in place at least a little bit right away.
  • Slowly pressed the CPO to the CP working from the bend in the middle down to the bottom to make sure there were no air bubbles
  • Removed the clamps and peeled off the remaining plastic backing to the CPO
  • Slowly pressed the CPO to the CP working from the bend in the middle up to the top to make sure there were no air bubbles
  • Used a razor to trim away the overhang (the CPO was about 1/2" larger than the CP all the way around on purpose).  This was BY FAR the hardest part.  I had a fresh razor but still didn't get an absolutely **perfect** line.  Close enough so that no one will notice but still...  This is a great reminder why I would NEVER make a cab to sell to someone.

Here we go:

Chipped corner:

Bondo!

Sanded:

Primed:

Ready for Art!

Clamped:

Finished!

I hope to drill out the holes tomorrow.  The plan is to cover the areas to be drilled with painters tape to avoid any tearing.  Going to be tricky because the front panel is 3/4" thick so I need to remove extra material from the back so that the Japanese buttons can clip into the holes.   :cheers:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"] (ARTWORK IS *NOT* FINAL!)
« Reply #322 on: October 20, 2018, 05:36:55 pm »
Good job.  I have all this fun to come...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2018, 06:32:39 pm »
Good job.  I have all this fun to come...

Thanks.  It is fun.  But stressful somehow. I know it won't come out perfect and I know I'll see the imperfections from now until the end of time but it should be good enough to fool most everyone else!  I am a little worried about the buttons fitting.  I measured a ton but I have feeling there is some dremel work in my future behind the front panel...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #324 on: November 12, 2018, 01:03:38 pm »
OK long time with no posts on this project but I have been doing stuff behind the scenes.  Well, Arroyo has been doing stuff for me behind the scenes heh...  He has been helping me tweak the artwork for the control panel (yes, I'm redoing it) in addition to his previous work on the side art. 

After living with the CPO for a few days as shown a few posts up, I decided I didn't really like the white area that covers the bend in the CP.  It wasn't aligned 100% on the curve and was really distracting to the overall design.  Also, due to poor measuring on my part the buttons on the front were about 7/32" (5.5mm) too high.  Any attempt at drilling out the holes meant I'd clip the top panel and getting the buttons nuts on seemed like it would be impossible without major dremel work as shown here:

Arroyo graciously redesigned the layout:

Before:

After:

The white line is gone and the top area blends nicely into the bottom area.  It's going to look great.

With the side art and CPO fixed Arroyo even created a Sketch-up model for me to show what (I hope) the finished product will look like. 

I'm motivated to finally finish this up.  I'm ordering the artwork this week and hoping it arrives before Thanksgiving weekend when I should have a few days to work on it. 

HUGE thanks to Arroyo.  He has gone above and beyond in helping me out.   Now it's up to me to get it over the finish line...  :cheers:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #325 on: November 12, 2018, 06:23:50 pm »
That looks sweet :)  Looking forward to seeing this finished... now stop making excuses and get off your a*** ;)

Arroyo's sketchup skills are clearly better than mine!  :notworthy:

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Budgets are boring
Getír done javery. :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2018, 03:33:35 pm »
Artwork has been ordered.  Hope to wrap this up before the holidays!   :cheers:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31