Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]  (Read 122876 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"] (ARTWORK!)
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2018, 06:45:25 pm »
^i'm with Mike.

I'd also change his right arm pose so he's not pulling a Micheal Jackson crotch-grab.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2018, 12:46:02 pm »
This is sweet. I hear what you’re saying about the blue, and like you I’m drawn to that one. I like the border, but the bottom draft without the cabinet profile and border seems to flow best. Maybe it’s because the robot is popping out so much (which was something that you liked, so just ignore me if you want). I wonder what it would look like if it were zoomed out a bit. Either way I love it so far!

Interesting thought regarding the border.  The reason I asked for it was (1) because I wanted the art to look like it was specifically made for the profile and (2) because I loved how it looked on your Star Wars cab!  Without the border I'm worried it will look like some random pic off the internet that I slap on there.  I've given t some thought and I think I'm going to ask to see the border in WHITE which will match my t-molding, buttons and balltop.  That might make it look like it belongs the most. 

In the back of my head I am thinking the border might make it very difficult to install once it is printed - I'd have to be extremely precise.  Something else to consider...

I think I like the one on the left the most too. And I agree about the laser rings. Dont like the green. I think I would just delete the rings, but IDK, your call.
That artist you have online is pretty good.
I have never vested much in artwork on my cabs, probably should, and seeing this guys work has me thinking.

Thanks... everyone has me thinking about whether the rings are needed as well.  The ones shown are just placeholders - they would be more detailed and in line with the rest of the art.  I wanted something to fill the space in the bottom-front part of the profile and the rings kind of do the job.  I definitely think green is the wrong color.  Not sure what would work - I'm doing this on the fly!

1000 percent better than a video game character mashup. I still prefer it without the border. The colors are fantastic. No laser rings.

Thanks. When I decided to do this project I wanted to (1) incorporate my son's name in the theme, (2) avoid standard clip art and (3) make it unique.  I think I'm getting there. 

I also agree that the colors are fantastic - not what I initially pictured but it is so bright and will be impossible to ignore on the finished cab when it is in my son's room or the basement or wherever it ends up.

^i'm with Mike.

I'd also change his right arm pose so he's not pulling a Micheal Jackson crotch-grab.

LOL.  I didn't see the crotch grab but I think the final coloring and detail will avoid that look and if not, my son always has his hands in his pants so I'll call it a tribute.   :cheers:

I did get some clarity from the artist - the yellow shown on the robot is actually the setting sun reflecting off of the gray metal of the robot (he also mentioned maybe giving the robot a slight chrome effect too but I'm not so sure about that).

So what I'm thinking is (1) go with the blue background over the purple one, (2) ask to see a WHITE border to match the t-molding, buttons and balltop I'll be using and (3) ask to see the laser rings in a different color.  I'm leaning towards a bright neon red or bright neon orange.  My only concerns are that red being used for the cape so there will be a lot of red in that area (especially since the there will be a reflection from the lasers back onto the robot).  I also want to see it without the border.

Other than that I think I'm ready to finalize this piece.  I'm a little scared since it is much brighter than I had envisioned but at the end of the day this is an arcade cabinet and they are supposed to draw your eye.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:01:00 pm by javeryh »

krangbrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2018, 02:56:57 pm »
When we’re purposfully analyzing details from the artwork we probably see a lot of things things that we wouldn’t normally criticize at a casual glance. Even if you went with either the blue or purple drafts as the final product this would be one sick build.

Without the border I'm worried it will look like some random pic off the internet that I slap on there.  I've given t some thought and I think I'm going to ask to see the border in WHITE which will match my t-molding, buttons and balltop.  That might make it look like it belongs the most. 

I totally agree with you on that. The border does customize it to your cab’s profile. In the end I say you go with the border whichever color you decide on.

In the back of my head I am thinking the border might make it very difficult to install once it is printed - I'd have to be extremely precise.  Something else to consider...

True, but you’ll be able to get it. And even if it’s a tad off you’ll probably forget it after a month. Lol

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2018, 03:32:43 pm »
When we’re purposfully analyzing details from the artwork we probably see a lot of things things that we wouldn’t normally criticize at a casual glance. Even if you went with either the blue or purple drafts as the final product this would be one sick build.

Without the border I'm worried it will look like some random pic off the internet that I slap on there.  I've given t some thought and I think I'm going to ask to see the border in WHITE which will match my t-molding, buttons and balltop.  That might make it look like it belongs the most. 

I totally agree with you on that. The border does customize it to your cab’s profile. In the end I say you go with the border whichever color you decide on.

True, but you’ll be able to get it. And even if it’s a tad off you’ll probably forget it after a month. Lol

Haha you are probably right.  I tend to get obsessive over the details which is why things take me 10x as long as they should.   :cheers:

After thinking about it for the last 2 hours, I'm going to go with PURPLE for the lasers.  Something similar to Mace Windu's lightsaber.  RED overlaps with the robot's cape too much and GREEN doesn't look right to me for whatever reason.  I think PURPLE will actually compliment the blues that are already present in the piece (plus purple is cool!). 

Now I really need to focus on the marquee - this is the thing giving me the biggest headache and I need some help.  Initially the artist suggested something like this:

That would be placed in the center of something like this:

I sort of rejected this out of hand.  Given the narrow dimensions of the marquee I thought for sure it should be spelled out with the two words in a line and not one word on top of or in front of the other.  Maybe I should have given it more thought.  After researching fonts for hours and putting together the collage a few posts back and sending it to the artist he/she sent me this and asked if this is more what I had in mind:

Sort of?  Not really?  I don't know!  The artist used almost the same variety of colors as the "Queen of Outer Space" font that I liked so that the letters stand out from the background but he/she is open to ideas. The letters are still in draft quality to just show the layout.

Maybe it is the coloring here but I don't think it works with the side art.  Does it?  If it was blue/purple/red and the UFO was drawn to match the one on the side do you think it would work?  Or am I better off trying to go with the artist's original suggestion?  I could really use some help here as the marquee will be the centerpiece of the entire design so I want to get it right.

:cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2018, 03:51:07 pm »
For some reason I assumed you’d be using the same font as the movie:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2018, 04:55:16 pm »
Javeryh. Thanks for the tip on Duratex. It worked great with the crappy leftover plywood I used. I had to spackle the crap out of every surface. I am almost finished with my son's bass speaker cab. I just need to fix the front grill and add the corner protectors. Some of the seams need some more love too.
Thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2018, 08:14:46 am »
Javeryh. Thanks for the tip on Duratex. It worked great with the crappy leftover plywood I used. I had to spackle the crap out of every surface. I am almost finished with my son's bass speaker cab. I just need to fix the front grill and add the corner protectors. Some of the seams need some more love too.
Thanks again.

Glad it worked out.  That stuff will cover up just about anything and it is almost impossible to put on a bad coat.  The speaker looks good - do you have a kit inside or is it just a new enclosure for an old one?

For some reason I assumed you’d be using the same font as the movie:

You know, now that I'm looking at it again I think that font is something that would work and I liked it initially so I should probably go with my gut.  I don't have to do red either.  We could make it blue or purple to match the side art.  Or maybe go with a blue background and a smaller version of the same UFO with the rocks and stuff near the bottom and the lettering in red to match the cape on the robot?  Maybe instead of a black border it could be white to match the border around the side art?  Not sure.  I think I'm going to tell the artist to draw it up that way. 

Anyone else have an opinion?

Arimack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2021, 02:38:40 pm
  • OFNQ - Old Farts Never Quit -
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157605.0.html
Re: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2018, 08:57:18 am »
Here is a close-up of how the marquee retainer will sit.  Assuming the entire area behind the marquee will be lit, the retainer will be where the cut off is for what is viewable instead of the top of the MDF speaker panel, which I think would create a 1/8" strip of the marquee that would not be lit but would be viewable and would look weird.  I'll have to do the same thing to the top panel as well.

I'm just checking out this project, Javeryh, and it is brilliant. Did not realize that you had already done this bevel when I posted mine afterwards.  Would have given you credit if I had seen yours first.  I am chalking it up to great minds...

I agree with you on the border for the sideart.  Really like the artwork.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:24:20 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2018, 12:09:20 pm »

Sort of?  Not really?  I don't know!  The artist used almost the same variety of colors as the "Queen of Outer Space" font that I liked so that the letters stand out from the background but he/she is open to ideas. The letters are still in draft quality to just show the layout.

Maybe it is the coloring here but I don't think it works with the side art.  Does it?  If it was blue/purple/red and the UFO was drawn to match the one on the side do you think it would work?  Or am I better off trying to go with the artist's original suggestion?  I could really use some help here as the marquee will be the centerpiece of the entire design so I want to get it right.

This coloring of the logo doesn't look bad, HOWEVER if you go with the marquee's landscape and color it the same way as in the sideart, the logo will have the same colors as the background.

So, if you go with a dark sky, you probably should choose brighter colors for the logo.

I have added a logo with the 'mars attacks' font, but I think the artist's font looks better.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2018, 02:08:06 pm »
At first blush, I like the warmer colors and think they would look better. I have a couple questions, are the LED's that light the marquee box 2700-3000k or 5000+k? If it's 5000, I'd definitely go with the blue font and use blue controls too. If they are 2700-3000k, and the controls are going to be warm (yellow/orange) I'd say the yellow/orange font is the way to go.

But after thinking about it for a second, I think they both look good and either will look great. Not a real loser here. Except the Mars Attack font. It's a loser. I thought I'd like it more, but I don't.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2018, 11:09:56 am »
I'm just checking out this project, Javeryh, and it is brilliant. Did not realize that you had already done this bevel when I posted mine afterwards.  Would have given you credit if I had seen yours first.  I am chalking it up to great minds...

Ha!  I saw your pic a while back and I remember thinking dammit I didn't bevel mine enough!

I agree with you on the border for the sideart.  Really like the artwork.

Thanks.  I have thought the border was the way to go for a while now and I'm sticking to it!  Maybe.

This coloring of the logo doesn't look bad, HOWEVER if you go with the marquee's landscape and color it the same way as in the sideart, the logo will have the same colors as the background.

So, if you go with a dark sky, you probably should choose brighter colors for the logo.

I have added a logo with the 'mars attacks' font, but I think the artist's font looks better.

WOW.   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thanks so much for this.  Makes it MUCH easier to communicate my ideas to the artist now and also figure out exactly what I want.  I have a ton of things I want to see now haha.  The background the artist provided actually looks great with the lettering.  The color of the letting is what I'm not so sure of - should it be GRAY like the robot itself? Or maybe the lettering should be RED like the robot's cape.  I like the BLUE better than the yellow (I think) but you are right in that if the background is blue to match the side art I'm going to need a different color for the lettering.  This is fantastic!  Thanks so much.

The "Mars Attack!" font I initially liked isn't showing as good.  Is it because of the font itself or does it just need a thicker black border or something to maker it pop?  I'm open to suggestions on the font - could be something completely different than what I've proposed.

At first blush, I like the warmer colors and think they would look better. I have a couple questions, are the LED's that light the marquee box 2700-3000k or 5000+k? If it's 5000, I'd definitely go with the blue font and use blue controls too. If they are 2700-3000k, and the controls are going to be warm (yellow/orange) I'd say the yellow/orange font is the way to go.

But after thinking about it for a second, I think they both look good and either will look great. Not a real loser here. Except the Mars Attack font. It's a loser. I thought I'd like it more, but I don't.

The LEDs are "Cool White (6000-6500K)" but I could always get something else if it will look better.  Not even something I was thinking about so it's good to know now.

I also don't like the Mars Attack! font - at least the way it is showing here.  Any recommendations for other fonts I'm not thinking of?  The one the artist provided is nice but I'm not 100% sure it matches the style seen in the side art.  I'm probably over-analyzing now though.   :cheers:

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2018, 12:43:16 pm »
What's cool about the artists' logo is that is isn't just a cookie-cutter font... each of the letters looks individually drawn. 

If you're looking to tweak, I would go a little more 50's sci-fi...

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:07 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2018, 01:16:19 pm »
Wow - I love this thing!

Artwork looks great. I like the way it's actually portable too. I have some pi bits and an 8" screen that I'm going to use for something similar (but not as cool)

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2018, 01:44:55 pm »
Thanks so much for this.  Makes it MUCH easier to communicate my ideas to the artist now and also figure out exactly what I want.  I have a ton of things I want to see now haha.  The background the artist provided actually looks great with the lettering.  The color of the letting is what I'm not so sure of - should it be GRAY like the robot itself? Or maybe the lettering should be RED like the robot's cape.  I like the BLUE better than the yellow (I think) but you are right in that if the background is blue to match the side art I'm going to need a different color for the lettering.  This is fantastic!  Thanks so much.

I'd say let the artist color the marquee and then start worrying about the logo color. As fonts go, I could imagine using 'Eastwood' plus a drop shadow, but I like the artist's font best.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2018, 06:08:49 pm »
What's cool about the artists' logo is that is isn't just a cookie-cutter font... each of the letters looks individually drawn. 

If you're looking to tweak, I would go a little more 50's sci-fi...

Thanks - I specifically asked the artist to hand draw the letters.  The 50s pulp/sci-fi font is exactly what I was going for.  I think it matches the robot's style.

Wow - I love this thing!

Artwork looks great. I like the way it's actually portable too. I have some pi bits and an 8" screen that I'm going to use for something similar (but not as cool)

Thanks!  I'm not quite finished yet... plenty of time to screw it up!

I'd say let the artist color the marquee and then start worrying about the logo color. As fonts go, I could imagine using 'Eastwood' plus a drop shadow, but I like the artist's font best.

Wow - I like that too!  Maybe with a black outline and hand drawn?  I don't think I can screw it up too much but the marquee is the focal point so I want to get it right.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2018, 12:03:43 pm »
One more (small) step closer to finalizing the artwork.  A background was added to the marquee so I can decide on final colors for the logo.  The background was just cut and pasted from the side art and will not be the final design.

I think I like the first one best actually.  It is the one that stands out the most to me and pops off of the background.

We also put together a few different mock-ups for the laser beam shooting out of the ray gun and I'm not sure any of them look quite right but surprisingly the yellow is the closest. 

What I'm thinking now is to match the laser to the color of the logo so it would be yellow/orange.  This would tie the two pieces together because even though the yellow/orange logo looks the best, those colors don't yet tie into the side art.  I guess could scrap the laser altogether but leaving the area by the CP barren doesn't look right to me either.  I like the laser - I just don't think we have found the right color yet but I think we are close.

Thoughts?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2018, 02:18:48 pm »
I agree with the Marquee color choice upper left.  I also like the yellow laser, but in all of he laser shots the glow of the laser color on the robot seems too much to me.  If your going to have it, seems like it might be better to dial down the glow....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2018, 03:29:59 pm »
I like the top-left or top-right for the marquee.  Leaning towards top-left though.  Those are the colours that will be backlit nicer than the rest.

As for the laser, I wouldn't match the colour of the laser with the marquee at all. I'd actually do a completely different colour, something that stands out and is a departure from the character and background. Something like the green from the mid-left marquee, or do a blue/cyan plasma looking scheme. But the key is to have the laser stand-out rather than be matchy-matchy with the rest of the image or marquee art.

The philosophy is: Lasers should look like energy. Something intangible, that isn't tied to physical elements of your images.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2018, 05:45:13 pm »
The philosophy is: Lasers should look like energy. Something intangible, that isn't tied to physical elements of your images.

See. That is the artsy fartsy stuff I am talking about.

Artists know when to match everything up and when not to.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2018, 06:16:28 pm »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2018, 10:07:20 am »
I agree with the Marquee color choice upper left.  I also like the yellow laser, but in all of he laser shots the glow of the laser color on the robot seems too much to me.  If your going to have it, seems like it might be better to dial down the glow....

I agree with the upper left.  It is the one that initially jumped out at me and the colors are classic.  I have a concern about this thing looking too bright so the other neon colors are probably out.  This leads me to the laser - I definitely see your point.  There are TWO reflections on the robot - one from the "setting sun" that is cropped due to the dimensions of the cabinet and the other on top of that is the reflection from the laser.  The sun casting a yellow glow so I think you are right in that another yellow glow from the laser wouldn't work.  Hmmm...

I like the top-left or top-right for the marquee.  Leaning towards top-left though.  Those are the colours that will be backlit nicer than the rest.

As for the laser, I wouldn't match the colour of the laser with the marquee at all. I'd actually do a completely different colour, something that stands out and is a departure from the character and background. Something like the green from the mid-left marquee, or do a blue/cyan plasma looking scheme. But the key is to have the laser stand-out rather than be matchy-matchy with the rest of the image or marquee art.

This is an interesting line of thought and something that I wouldn't necessarily see myself.  The artist's initial rendering of the laser was GREEN... maybe because that is what pops the most? To me, it seems out of place to have the green in the laser but nowhere else on the cab but I understand why.  BLUE/CYAN could work too (and would go with the sky in the background a little more). 

I think at this point I'm nitpicking - whatever the choice, I'm sure it will look great so I'm making the call - YELLOW/ORANGE (upper left version) for the logo colors and (gulp) GREEN for the lasers, eyes and ears.

I also requested to see the side art with a WHITE border as well as removing the border entirely.

I think the white border looks great.  I have white t-molding, buttons and the balltop for the joystick so the white accent on the art will look great.  The borderless version looks good too but like I've been saying, it loses its uniqueness without something tying it directly to this cabinet.  So another call - WHITE border.

The artist also sent over a version with the sunlight slightly altered so that it looked a little more yellow/orange, respecting the blue color of the sky. He/she also put together a complete presentation including the side panel with the amber colors, the yellow logo to match, and the white border.

I'm not sure that this isn't too red - the cape doesn't pop as much here either.  It also lost the wavy light coming out of the bottom of the UFO for some reason.  I actually think I liked the old version better so I'm going to ask to revert to the prior draft.  It does look good all together though.  The laser will be the finishing touch giving the lower right of the panel something interesting.

Thoughts?   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2018, 10:21:46 am »

Thoughts?   :cheers:

Probably should just let the artists chime in, but for some reason I see a dark grey/black for the cape to make it stand out.  Other than that I think it looks awesome.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2018, 10:22:38 am »
I don't have any particular thoughts on the artwork at this point. It all looks good.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:20 pm »
Alright thanks guys.  I'm going for this:

SIDE ART:
- White border
- Green laser (with reflection on robot toned down/more subtle)
- Revert to original darker background

MARQUEE:
- Yellow/orange lettering for logo

Getting there!   :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »
I don't think the white border works, tbh. Your cab has less art area to work with, and because of the small size you'll get that "bordering" effect with t-molding. Besides, with the graphics so rich and detailed, it makes the image look more cluttered. Borders should be used on artwork that is more simplified, IMO.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2018, 03:04:42 pm »
I don't think the white border works, tbh. Your cab has less art area to work with, and because of the small size you'll get that "bordering" effect with t-molding. Besides, with the graphics so rich and detailed, it makes the image look more cluttered. Borders should be used on artwork that is more simplified, IMO.

OK... I always have the option to remove it if I print it all out and it doesn't look quite right.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
Sooo ... Time to tackle the CP art  ;D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2018, 10:08:11 am »
I don't think the white border works, tbh.

I agree but for a different reason. The border adds a 3D effect (that is actually pretty cool. However, that makes it look like the UFO is either right above the robot, or in front of it, which means the UFO is super tiny. Without the border the UFO looks like its pretty far back in the background and is HUGE.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2018, 10:18:13 am »
I agree but for a different reason. The border adds a 3D effect (that is actually pretty cool. However, that makes it look like the UFO is either right above the robot, or in front of it, which means the UFO is super tiny. Without the border the UFO looks like its pretty far back in the background and is HUGE.

For this reason the UFO should probably actually be placed behind the border rather on top of it - to give the illusion it is further back near the mountains instead of directly above the robot.

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2018, 10:38:47 pm »
I really like the border.  This thing is cool.
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
I hate you guys.  ;D  Never would have seen the "small" UFO so now I'm rethinking the border.  Putting it behind won't look right, will it?  It will drop it to the background but then there will be too much border.  Maybe?  I may just say F it though and keep it as is.  It doesn't bother me at all but I can see it.   :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2018, 08:18:26 pm »
The border sucks. Nuke it.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2018, 10:18:04 pm »
Why not drop the border and use use white t-molding...the T-molding acting as a defacto border.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2018, 07:15:32 am »
The border sucks. Nuke it.

Thinking about it...

Why not drop the border and use use white t-molding...the T-molding acting as a defacto border.

I am using white t-molding.  The reason I am so set on the border is to tie the art to the cabinet profile.  Otherwise it looks like any image that could have been printed from the internet and not something specifically designed for the space.  I don't know.  Once the art is done I'm going to test print both so I can make the call from actually seeing how it would look.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:10 am »
I like the border. I just think the UFO should be behind it.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2018, 02:28:04 pm »
Totally agree!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2018, 02:50:55 pm »
Totally agree!

Thanks guys.  I'm going to ask to see it like that.  Hopefully that is the right answer!

While I'm waiting to finalize the art I thought I'd try and finish up a few things that have been lingering.  I'm really dead in the water until I get the art done - I am waiting to drill out the holes for the buttons until I get the CP art finalized, printed and applied.  Next time I'll start that process right away (next time LOL my wife is going to kill me!).

I touched up the inside edges of the speaker holes with some black paint and now I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the grilles.  I am thinking of using clear super glue but there's not much surface area for the grills to attach to.  I could use the bezel the grill came with and spray it black but I don't like how far it sticks out.  The grill alone looks really clean - I don't want them to be seen.

Any ideas on the best way to attach these things?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:04:16 pm by javeryh »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2018, 03:44:01 pm »
Perhaps route out a slightly larger circle from behind the panel leaving just a small thin amount of the existing circle in the panel and press them into the panel from the back and hot glue into place
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:47:12 pm by JDFan »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2018, 04:32:55 pm »
Perhaps route out a slightly larger circle from behind the panel leaving just a small thin amount of the existing circle in the panel and press them into the panel from the back and hot glue into place

Unfortunately I think I'm past the point where that is a viable solution.  I think that clear super glue that bond to anything is going to be my best bet but I'm worried about making a mess with it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2018, 06:27:18 pm »
Eh... I just went for it.  It seems to be holding but the fumes from the glue are sticking to the metal and showing around the edges LOL.  I had a minor heart attack but it was nothing a Sharpie couldn't fix.  I am consciously trying to just do stuff instead of pondering things for days on end.  I get hung up easily on the small tasks making it hard to ever finish.

The left is the "before" and the right is "after" cleaning it up with the Sharpie.  Looks great (the white specks on the right is actually reflection of light and not glue spots).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:37:10 pm by javeryh »