Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Good news for anyone with a MAME Asteroids / Asteroids Deluxe cocktail cab.  (Read 2954 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:16:00 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Just confirmed that MAME v0.198 has working cocktail P2 screen flipping for Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe, just like the original PCB.    :w00t

- In the MAME "Machine Configuration" menu set Cabinet to Cocktail.

- In the MAME "Video Options" menu select any video option EXCEPT Cocktail.

Special thanks to MAME Dev ajrhacker who added this feature and thanks to Haze for relaying the info to him.   :applaud:

Scott

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
that's great news for cocktail builders.  Does it flip the overlay, too?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
that's great news for cocktail builders.  Does it flip the overlay, too?

Cocktail shouldn't have an overlay.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
Does it flip the overlay, too?
I assume you mean the wood-grain cocktail bezel from the layout (.LAY) file, right?

The artwork from the Mr. Do's In-Game Arcade Artwork or Other Artwork layout file doesn't flip, only the vector display.

In the Video Options menu, you can select any option, but beware that the "Cocktail" option is just a fake vertical WS cocktail display with one screen at the top oriented to P2's POV.

It should be possible to make a custom vertical WS layout with 2 screens with the same orientation.
(For some reason, MAME can't do 2 screens with different orientations for vector games.   :banghead:)

Scott
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:37:54 pm by PL1 »

spisi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 05:20:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I can't seem to find a rom that says "Machine Configuration" I've downloaded all the different revisions.  They all say "Machine Information". 

spisi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 05:20:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
OK.  Just needed a newer version of MAME!

rdagger

Is there a version of Asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe that supports separate controls for player 1 and 2?
I'm setting up a cocktail and wondering how others are handling it, thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
Is there a version of Asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe that supports separate controls for player 1 and 2?
Unfortunately, they haven't added that yet.

When they added cocktail screen flipping in v0.198, they only hooked up the jumper from pin 19 to pin 7.

They didn't add separate P2 inputs in the MAME Inputs menu, add the P23B connector for P2 controls, add the 10 blocking diodes, and change where each player gets the grounds for their player controls.

There are more details in this recent thread.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,168028.0.html

I'm setting up a cocktail and wondering how others are handling it, thanks!
1. Double-map the P1 and P2 controls to these P1 inputs in Asteroids. (MAME/IPac defaults shown)
- Button 1 (Left) Left + D
- Button 2 (Right) Right + G
- Button 3 (Fire) L. Ctrl. + A
- Button 4 (Thrust) L. Alt. + S
- Button 5 (Hyperspace) Space Bar + Q

To double-map the controls:
- Highlight the input.
- Press ENTER.
- Press the first button. (input mapped to the first button)
- Press ENTER.
- Press the second button. (input mapped to the first button or second button i.e. "kbd Left or kbd D")

2. In the Machine Configuration menu, set Cabinet to "Cocktail".

3. DO NOT use "Cocktail" in Video Options menu.

Scott

rdagger

@PL1 thanks that is super helpful!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

Just dropped a PM to Haze asking him to relay the six suggested corrections and schematics from the other thread to ajrhacker.

He's the MAME Dev who did the Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe cocktail video flipping changes for v0.198 so it seems like sharing the neatly organized and summarized research info with him might be our best chance for getting these corrections.   ;D

Scott

rdagger

Glad to assist.   :cheers:

Just dropped a PM to Haze asking him to relay the six suggested corrections and schematics from the other thread to ajrhacker.

He's the MAME Dev who did the Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe cocktail video flipping changes for v0.198 so it seems like sharing the neatly organized and summarized research info with him might be our best chance for getting these corrections.   ;D

Scott

Mame 2003 Plus now supports cocktail mode and separate player 2 controls for both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe.