Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The dreaded "Can I have some advice" questions  (Read 1419 times)

GG10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2018, 12:44:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
The dreaded "Can I have some advice" questions
« on: May 29, 2018, 12:09:36 pm »
Hello all,
I hope I don't bore you with some questions below (probably basic and stupid), and that somebody might take the time to respond if possible.

Over the years I've been running various versions of MAME, predominantly windows-based and the old XP days. A few years ago I found this site and its associated GroovyMAME (Thank you Calamity), and since then have been trying to understand/create the best setup for my purposes. I initially gravitated towards groovymame due to the inadequicies in my setup - specifically horizontal game tearing, dodgy timings etc.

I have a cabinet with a K7000 CRT, ipac and a Core2 Duo-based PC. I have used both ArcadeVGA 3000, and currently AVGA5000 card. Presently I'm running GroovyLinux 2016, which I got to a stable setup after lots and lots of mistakes, work and question asking. However my mc is bust, and looking at upgrading again my setup, and my questions are as follows - again please forgive any stupidity in them...

1. I initially used GroovyLinux as I was under the impression it was the only option for custom resolutions when using an ArcadeVGA5000 card. I know basic Linux, which has improved somewhat (by necessity) in getting to a stable situation with the above, but I'm not sure if it is the way forward, and would personally be more comfortable with Linux. So, am I better served ditching the AVGA card and Linux, getting a HD5450 or HD6450, Windows 7 with CRT Emudriver?

I'm essentially trying to work out whats best today - Windows or Linux, AVGA or ATI HD card?

I've read lots of threads on this great forum, but for an inexperienced user, the wealth of information and options is probably overwhelming. Hence I hope somebody can set me straight pretty quickly...

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: The dreaded "Can I have some advice" questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:32:27 pm »
Someone else will have to answer the hard stuff for linux, but i know it has no lag issues compared to windows, and vice versa.

On windows the right Radeon card and Win 10 or Win 7 is the better option. GM works best with crt_emudriver, and i think switchres clags without it, so you can't have modelines modified for perfect refresh each time you launch a game. And VMM's best bits certainly won't work without crt_emudriver. Lower-end Radeon cards from the HD 5000 series get all the features of crt_emudriver and VMM. But if you want to run newer titles you'll want some grunt. I'm running Tekken 7 at 800x600@50i, for example, and no way would a 6450 handle that.

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: The dreaded "Can I have some advice" questions
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:02:17 am »
I'm essentially trying to work out whats best today - Windows or Linux, AVGA or ATI HD card?

Windows or Linux? Performance and latency-wise they're the same. If you're already on Linux, there's no reason change. I prefer Windows myself because it's the OS I use for everything (work, etc.). But Windows requires a layer of complexity (special drivers, patches) that's simply unnecessary on Linux. On the other hand Linux is terrible on trivial things like supporting input devices, wifi cards, etc. that just work on Windows.

AVGA or AMD? If you don't have any, get an AMD. If you already have an AVGA5000, which on Linux is basically an HD5450, and only plan on using MAME, then stick with it.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi