Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: need some advice, am i doing things right  (Read 3260 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
need some advice, am i doing things right
« on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:25 pm »
Hey thanks for reading, so im building this cabinet with a crt i believe its an k7000 welds garner 25 monitor ,windows 7x64 GM 197 no nag no savestate mesagges compiled by myself,hyperspin, emudriver 2.0 and an ati hd 7450 i believe.
I followed the guide i found here and all went smooth , as the picturs in the guide, i get 15 modelines installed. And most games look nice with some eceptions like mortal kombat that had chopped feet, or pacman games that look way to distorded and missing top and bottom lines.
So before posting i read alot, and found that some guys install up to 120 video modes from mame, so i did the same and to be honest , nothing seems to change but instead hyperspin gets broke, with the 15 video modes, hyperspin works just fine, and with the 120 video modes, hyperspin wont even start, so i get back to the 15 video modes  to be able to run hyperspin.
The way i install the 120 video modes its like in tthe guide, on step 3 ,the only diference is i check the listing modes from XML  option to get the info from the mame xml, and then install modes.
I have tried the generic 15khz, the arcade extended resolutions, the k7000 omde and all give me the same result. Even Calamity ofered a solution for the pacman games to another guy on another topic but it didnt worked out for me, so i wonder if i even making things right or theres another way to install video modes in order for GM to work just right alltogether with hyperspin. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:00:17 pm by abispac »

Edglaf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2018, 05:25:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: need some advice, am i doing things right
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 05:56:04 am »
With that arcade monitor you’d better off using superresolutions so that with 15-20 modes you are done for your entire games collection. If you encounter problems with superresolutions and your roms collection is limited, not too huge, you can do as I eventually did for my vertical cab: add those otherwise  missing or conflictive  modes manually and install them to the ATI driver (attachment) with vvmaker  tool. With most of them you will not have problems, almost surely.
For example, I had some problems finding a proper mode for galaxian driver games. They ‘ve been assigned  a weird horizontal resolution in my groovymame version, so I decided to add it manually at the end of the file and it worked:
768 x 224 @ 60.000000 aux
My advice: try first without using frontends to make sure that groovymame runs okay. Just use command line or its built-in frontend to discard interferences.
I Got rid of Gamex and Hyperspin because of lack of reliability in terms of performance and  weird emulator behavior…

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:22:35 pm »
Hyperspin used to have a problem where it couldn't handle a modelist with more than 100 entries, IRRC. Maybe it still does.

Either way, you're better off with super resolutions.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:10:25 pm »
With that arcade monitor you’d better off using superresolutions so that with 15-20 modes you are done for your entire games collection. If you encounter problems with superresolutions and your roms collection is limited, not too huge, you can do as I eventually did for my vertical cab: add those otherwise  missing or conflictive  modes manually and install them to the ATI driver (attachment) with vvmaker  tool. With most of them you will not have problems, almost surely.
For example, I had some problems finding a proper mode for galaxian driver games. They ‘ve been assigned  a weird horizontal resolution in my groovymame version, so I decided to add it manually at the end of the file and it worked:
My advice: try first without using frontends to make sure that groovymame runs okay. Just use command line or its built-in frontend to discard interferences.
I Got rid of Gamex and Hyperspin because of lack of reliability in terms of performance and  weird emulator behavior…
Thanks for the advice, so with this user mode all games work , but i notice pacman games run at 640x480, and they don look quite right, hope ill find a way to make them look better. Thanks alot again.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:11:42 pm »
Hyperspin used to have a problem where it couldn't handle a modelist with more than 100 entries, IRRC. Maybe it still does.

Either way, you're better off with super resolutions.
That might be it, i will stick with super resolutions and perhaps personalised inis for pacman games. Any idea for the mk games what it would  be the best option?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:41 pm »
Any idea for the mk games what it would  be the best option?

No, I don't play them. They're known to be tricky though, i can't remember if anyone's got a perfect solution for them.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:41:45 am »
Calamity ofered a solution for the pacman games to another guy on another topic but it didnt worked out for me, so i wonder if i even making things right or theres another way to install video modes in order for GM to work just right alltogether with hyperspin. Thanks for any help.

It doesn't matter the way you install the modes, the limitation is in your monitor. Anything above 248-256 lines is pushing the limits of a 15 kHz monitor.

This has been explained a thousand times. You can get the picture fit the screen by using the potentiometers in the monitor's chassis. MK should be fine because it's 256p@54Hz, but you still need to adjust v-size potentiometer. Yes, if you want perfection you NEED to do this each time you switch from a 240p game to a 256p one. With GM you become an arcade operator, act like one. If you're lazy then just find a compromise setting that more or less fits 240p and 256p.

You can still do 288p@50Hz on a standard arcade monitor, but expect having to adjust v-size even more. If you don't want to do that for pacman, either run it on an interlaced mode or use a vertical monitor. The important idea here is there's no good way of playing pacman (and most other vertical games) on a horizontal monitor.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 11:29:49 pm »
Hey calamity,thanks for the tips, i didnt wanted to bother but to be honest theres lots of information on google or even on your original website that its hard to find precesly information, im not a perfectionist,so i think ill go with per game inis and the best resolutions i can find, i found one for pacman games plus i use GM to fix the vertical horizontal ratio on the menu and now the look good, hope ill find a nice reolution for MK, i just want to thank you for your effort and for sharing all fo you knoledge with us. Gracias amigo

Edglaf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2018, 05:25:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 05:03:44 am »

Sorry, i had to change things again. Just to note down some corrections related to wrongly added modes that cause my TV go out of range.The value for vertical resolution higher than 256 is the cause. I have deleted those modes
Sorry about that...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:44:24 pm by Edglaf »