Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to build the ULTIMATE arcade machine? Please help!!  (Read 2485 times)

Alanv89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2018, 02:16:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How to build the ULTIMATE arcade machine? Please help!!
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:28:26 am »
Hi,

I’m looking to build an arcade cabinet that has the normal two player control panel with trackwheel, two steering wheels, two light guns on the sides, two pedals, and pinball buttons on the side. Is there anyway someone could provide plans or instructions? This would be an arcade cabinet that allows the user to play normal games, plus shooting and driving. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thank you!

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:13:46 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: How to build the ULTIMATE arcade machine? Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:12:12 am »
"Dont" - Mike A

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:04:12 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 10:20:27 am »
"Dont" - Mike A

:lol 

I'll also say don't do it.

Any good project should have focus.  Trying to accommodate "everything" is the opposite of that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:24:13 am by javeryh »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:10:14 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:49:52 am »
Welcome aboard, Alanv89.   ;D

I understand the urge to look for a "one cab to play them all" design, but think about the layout for the controls you mentioned.

How do you plan to position the steering wheels, joysticks, and buttons so all of them are comfortably accessible?   :dizzy:

More controls ==> more compromises.

The general consensus is to avoid excessive compromises that will make a cab less fun to play.

I suggest that you go through the "What type of build meets my needs?" process in the FAQ.

Once you have a reasonable can't-live-without-it gamelist, it will be easier to see which controls you need.

You may decide that more than one cab is better for your situation -- a stand-up horizontal-monitor joystick/buttons/trackball/guns cab, maybe a vertical-monitor cab for classics/SHMUPS, a pincab with a portrait widescreen for the playfield, a sit-down driving cab . . .

Scott
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:22:14 am by PL1 »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 11:19:33 am »
Pick a cabinet you like. Think about how you can incorporate mame to play more games of similar genre.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 11:22:50 am »
Dudes speak the truth ^

Ive incorporated 2 light guns on my cab but to try and incorporate steering wheels and pedals as well you are setting yaself up for a hard time.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:45:20 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 12:50:34 pm »
 I appreciate you guys making my job easier. ;D

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 01:06:20 pm »
Just say no to driving controls.

There are two common types of steering wheel controls. 270 and 360. Games either use one or the other and are essentially unplayable with the wrong one.

270 degree wheel games can need up to 5 buttons on the wheel.

Driving games require shifters that are either 2 position digital, 4 position digital, 6 position digital and 2 position analog shifters, which may or may not be required to return to center or have a button on them.

Driving games require either 1, 2 or 3 pedals which may have to be analog or have to be digital.

If you want to drive just buy a driving arcade game, they are incredibly common and a $200-$400 budget will bring you one home to sit next to your Mame cabinet.

If you want to build your own then build for PC driving games, not for arcade driving emulation.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 01:44:42 pm »
Just say no to driving controls.

There are two common types of steering wheel controls. 270 and 360. Games either use one or the other and are essentially unplayable with the wrong one.

270 degree wheel games can need up to 5 buttons on the wheel.

Driving games require shifters that are either 2 position digital, 4 position digital, 6 position digital and 2 position analog shifters, which may or may not be required to return to center or have a button on them.

Driving games require either 1, 2 or 3 pedals which may have to be analog or have to be digital.

If you want to drive just buy a driving arcade game, they are incredibly common and a $200-$400 budget will bring you one home to sit next to your Mame cabinet.

If you want to build your own then build for PC driving games, not for arcade driving emulation.
Great advice/argumentation!