Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help on urethane sanding?  (Read 3032 times)

Fonkybeachbum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2023, 12:10:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help on urethane sanding?
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:47:04 am »
Hello, So I had painted my boxes and put on the first coat of urethane and came home and put some 220 sand paper on and it totally f'd it up.  400 did the same thing where white came out and totally ruined the job.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7cOqFss

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
Re: Help on urethane sanding?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:33:29 am »
Whats the question?
It looks from the picture that you have a bit of orange peel.  Sand with the 220 grit until smooth and the scratch pattern is uniform.  You need to use a sanding block for this.. 
Once the pattern is even, put on another coat of paint..  the idea is for it to be smooth of course..
The finish coat should not be sanded.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Fonkybeachbum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:39 am »
Thanks for the reply.   So I do what you say and then put on another coat of URETHANE and the scratches will go away?  I was a couple drinks deep when I wrote last night.  To be clear I had already painted, sanded, painted, put on the first coat of urethane, and then started to sand with 220 when this happened.  The box actually had looked pretty good before I sanded the urethane coat, but was trying to get it perfect and just following all the instructions I had read.  I wasn't expecting the urethane to scratch up so much when sanding, but I'm a complete novice at finish painting. 

Fonkybeachbum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 11:35:52 am »
To answer my own question, I put a little urethane over the sanding and the orange peel went away.  Thought I was messing all the work up, but all looks like it will be ok...thanks for the help.