Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joychoose only works after restarting Mala  (Read 5345 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Joychoose only works after restarting Mala
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:45:43 am »
Hey folks. I recently put together a cabinet with Mala and 2 Servo sticks. I have the Joychoose plugin setup and working. One weird thing though is that when I first start up the cabinet, Mala auto starts but then when I choose a game, Joychoose does not change the servosticks to either position. It isn't until I exit Mala and then restart Mala and then Joychoose works as expected.

It's Win 7 x64, Mala 1.7.4 and Joychoose 1.0.2.

I've reached out to Oldman about it but I figured I'd post it here too just incase anyone has also encountered this. Anyone got any clues on how to troubleshoot this? It's either Joychoose having issues or maybe it's Mala not firing the events properly?

Thanks,

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
Re: Joychoose only works after restarting Mala
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:09:01 am »
I was never ever able to solve this. Anyone have any ideas?

Last night I deleted all my Mala .ini's and .log files and the Joychoose .ini and re-setup everything. But the result was the same.

When I first boot Windows and Mala starts up, Joychoose will not change when selecting games. If I exit Mala and then start it again, then Joychoose works correctly.

The TEST buttons in the Joychoose config window work fine either way.

I also have Joytray.exe starting up with Windows and it is running in the taskbar tray as well. Not sure if this has something to do with it? At Windows startup I can hear the servo's moving when Joytray.exe starts.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:07:15 pm »
Did you try taking joytray.exe out of the windows startup routine?

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 02:28:24 am »
I solved the issue. Will post what I did to fix it here for anyone else's benefit.

Up to this point, in the Mala Options I had it set to Startup automatically when Windows started. I turned this off and turned off Joytray.exe from starting with Windows as well. I rebooted the PC.

When Windows booted back up I manually started Mala and .... Joychoose worked immediately. So one step in the right direction.

Next I added a Mala Shortcut to the Start Menu > Startup Folder (instead of choosing it to start with windows automatically via the Mala Options). I rebooted the PC.

When Windows booted back up Mala Started automatically and it Joychoose worked! Awesome! I have no idea why but the Mala option for starting with Windows was the root of the problem somehow. Using the Windows Startup Folder worked instead.

I went ahead and left Joychoose to NOT start up with Windows but I don't think that really makes a difference. It get's started immediately when Joychoose first runs it anyways.