Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) & Outrun 2006 (PSP) network working!  (Read 5901 times)

nugarp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) & Outrun 2006 (PSP) network working!
« on: May 26, 2018, 10:32:01 pm »
Looking at the 1.6 changelog got me interested in exploring PPSSPP's github. While nothing in 1.6 was fixed that would fix ridge racer networking, I did stumble upon this wonderful issue report on github from just two months ago: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/10698, which seem proposed a workaround to get RR2 adhoc working (?!). I have now tried this and this fix works for both Ridge Racer 2 & Outrun 2006 C2C! I have not tested others.

TL;DR: go to memstick/PSP/system/ppsspp.ini and set "WlanAdhocChannel = 1" (it is by default 0) on your multiple machines.

On machine 1, go to settings and ensure Ad-hoc PRO server is checked; put in the lan IP (127.0.0.1 might work just as well) for the PRO ad-hoc server address and hit "change MAC address."
On machine 2, go to settings and ensure Ad-hoc PRO server is /not/ checked; put in the lan IP (e.g. 192.168.1.2) of the machine running the server. hit "change MAC address" (just need to make sure it is different from machine #1).

Machine 1 must be used to host the wireless battle game (ridge racer 2) ---- or machine 1 must at least have network initialized (by going to the wireless play screen) & anyone can then host the lobby (outrun 2006).
Start the lobby before your slave machines search for the game.

RR2 supports 8 players, OR2006 supports 6.

I've tested both with up to 4 and they work fine.
RR2 is a bit annoying in that it is kind of finicky. Machine 1 must host, then machine 2 should search, try to join, and wait for acceptance. Then machine 3 should search, try to join, and wait for acceptance, etc. It's kind of a PITA, but it's all we've got for networked ridge racer and is far better than no networking. If you do anything more than "retry" you will need to repeat the process! OR2 is not like this and lets you change track, cars, etc. without having to re-create a lobby.

It should be possible to also race online instead of just LAN using coldbird.net, but I haven't tried this. It requires forwarding a bunch of ports -- more info is on ppsspp forums from what I've seen.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:00:01 am by nugarp »
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Anyone tried Ridge Racer 2 (2006) ad-hoc networking on PPSSPP?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:20:44 pm »
Looking at the 1.6 changelog got me interested in exploring PPSSPP's github. While nothing in 1.6 was fixed that would fix ridge racer networking, I did stumble upon this wonderful issue report on github from just two months ago: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/10698, which seems to propose a workaround to get RR2 adhoc working (?!). I'm not home for a couple of days and am not able to get my hands on RR2 at the moment.

Anyone else want to try?

TL;DR: go to memstick/PSP/system/ppsspp.ini and set "WlanAdhocChannel = 1" (it is by default 0) on your multiple machines (or multiple instances on same PC I suppose) and give ad-hoc a try!

Great post nugarp! I've been wondering about this myself, but I'm unclear about one thing.....assuming emulated ad-hoc does work, would that theoretically allow us to play online or does it have to be local machines only? I've been dreaming of someday being able to play this game via ppsspp online with someone without too much lag. If this is now possible then that's fantastic news!

Oh and just to confirm, if I recall correctly RR2 supports up to what.....12 or 16 players or something around that number via ad-hoc, correct?

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 11:30:17 pm »
Great post nugarp! I've been wondering about this myself, but I'm unclear about one thing.....assuming emulated ad-hoc does work, would that theoretically allow us to play online or does it have to be local machines only? I've been dreaming of someday being able to play this game via ppsspp online with someone without too much lag. If this is now possible then that's fantastic news!

Oh and just to confirm, if I recall correctly RR2 supports up to what.....12 or 16 players or something around that number via ad-hoc, correct?

AdHoc would work online if this works; not sure of the game's tolerance on latency, though. People already play other games online w/PPSSPP.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 11:41:49 pm »

AdHoc would work online if this works; not sure of the game's tolerance on latency, though. People already play other games online w/PPSSPP.

Suite!

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 11:50:28 pm »
Check your discord PMs!

Also, according to http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/158932-ridge-racer-2-psp-back-cover.jpg , wireless play is 2-8 players. Granted, I have no idea if this fixes the game though.

Also, if this works with RR2, it may work as a holdover for networked outrun until it gets added to teknoparrot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:26:24 am by nugarp »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 09:00:03 am »
Check your discord PMs!

Also, according to http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/158932-ridge-racer-2-psp-back-cover.jpg , wireless play is 2-8 players. Granted, I have no idea if this fixes the game though.

Also, if this works with RR2, it may work as a holdover for networked outrun until it gets added to teknoparrot.

Or you could just the PC version of Outrun 2006's . Aside from having a pre-existing network it requires literally no setup. Admittedly though, the network in the PC version is a bit dodgy...

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 09:31:01 am »
Check your discord PMs!

Or you could just the PC version of Outrun 2006's . Aside from having a pre-existing network it requires literally no setup. Admittedly though, the network in the PC version is a bit dodgy...
A bit dodgy is a huge understatement when roads start disappearing lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nugarp

• Offline Offline
Re: Ridge Racer 2 & Outrun 2006 (PSP) network working!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:41:27 pm »
Updated first post to indicate that I have now confirmed that both games ad-hoc mode works with this fix!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Ridge Racer 2 & Outrun 2006 (PSP) network working!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 07:55:44 pm »
Great testing! Been busy at work but sent you a pm at discord. If you figure out how to get it working over internet I'll be happy to test it out if I get time tomorrow.

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
Re: Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) & Outrun 2006 (PSP) network working!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 04:38:26 am »
how nice it would be to play outrun 2 and sega racing classic online as they do with initial d, teknoparrot has the power, it's a dream that seems like it's never going to be fulfilled! imagine model 1,2,3 in online game with guaranteed fun.
sometimes I think if these big companies slow development (devs) with bribes (money)

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 04:44:36 am »

I do not know if it's a coincidence that when they find how 100% of the system works in emulation, the developers disappear :dunno

seam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 10:16:02 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 11:26:44 pm »
my mistake, feel free to delete this post
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:40:35 pm by seam »