Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need some advice on downsizing my full size arcade machine....  (Read 1291 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
I have to try to make some room in my Arcade/Bar in my basement. Right now I have a modified Konami cab (I thinned it a bit so a 25" crt would look good in it). The bastard still takes up quite the footprint. I would like to still use the monitor and the guts, but shrink it all down to a single player machine. Do you guys have a favorite machine style on here that could incorporate a 25" monitor? I was looking at Pinup by Yam, is there any favorites you guys have out there style wise?

My bar has a throwback old school scotch cigar vibe, so nothing that looks very modern.

Thanks
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:06:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Need some advice on downsizing my full size arcade machine....
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:30:33 pm »
Do you have your heart set on a 25" monitor? Is it standard res? I have several 19 inch standard res monitors. We could swap. I need a 25 inch standard res monitor for my 4p Konami cab. You could use my 19 inch monitor and throw it in a Midway cab or a Williams cab. The proportions would be better with the smaller monitor.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 12:31:37 am »
I hate to break it to you, but you are not really going to be able to save a whole bunch of space rebuilding the cabinet.  Almost any game sitting there by itself takes up roughly the same chunk of floor space, doesn't matter if it is a little single player cabaret or a 25" cabinet. Any space savings would literally be measured in inches, not feet. The main body of a Konami 4 player cabinet is all of 3" wider and 4" deeper than than a single player Centipede cabinet, and most cabinets are about the same size as Centipede. I am assuming here that you already eliminated any sort of flying wing control panel jutting past the body of the cabinet in all directions.

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 10:24:31 am »
I hate to break it to you, but you are not really going to be able to save a whole bunch of space rebuilding the cabinet.  Almost any game sitting there by itself takes up roughly the same chunk of floor space, doesn't matter if it is a little single player cabaret or a 25" cabinet. Any space savings would literally be measured in inches, not feet. The main body of a Konami 4 player cabinet is all of 3" wider and 4" deeper than than a single player Centipede cabinet, and most cabinets are about the same size as Centipede. I am assuming here that you already eliminated any sort of flying wing control panel jutting past the body of the cabinet in all directions.

you are right....  :banghead:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 10:54:01 am »
Right monitor, wrong cab. Konami cabs are just huge in general. My Neo Geo with 25” monitor is big, but at same time small compared to some other cabs. 1p vs 2p won’t make a difference as you still need the width of the monitor. Control panel needs to be against monitor. You could possibly angle the monitor so fly back is pointing down more and maybe gain a little depth. But you should probably make a new cab at that point.

Width of my cab is 25 7/16” for reference. The only way to shrink width would be to grind off the monitor mounting brackets, make wood support beam across, and weld/make brackets to mount top/bottom.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 11:41:59 am »
Right monitor, wrong cab. Konami cabs are just huge in general. My Neo Geo with 25” monitor is big, but at same time small compared to some other cabs. 1p vs 2p won’t make a difference as you still need the width of the monitor. Control panel needs to be against monitor. You could possibly angle the monitor so fly back is pointing down more and maybe gain a little depth. But you should probably make a new cab at that point.

Width of my cab is 25 7/16” for reference. The only way to shrink width would be to grind off the monitor mounting brackets, make wood support beam across, and weld/make brackets to mount top/bottom.

Which Neo cabinet did you have, I seem to recall the dedicated 25" single slot units being only 24" wide. Sold my last one a few years ago but I remember it being slightly narrower than my Williams cabinets.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 12:07:05 pm »

Which Neo cabinet did you have, I seem to recall the dedicated 25" single slot units being only 24" wide. Sold my last one a few years ago but I remember it being slightly narrower than my Williams cabinets.

I have mvs-2-25. Control panel is about 24” wide I assume, cabinets has side panels to account for too. It’s a good size. Not too big, not too small. So glad I don’t have a 6 slot. I think the extra topper would make it too cumbersome for my apartment life. I managed to move my 2 slot up to my new second floor apartment last summer with no help. Any larger I think it would be impossible. I couldn’t get it through the building doorway on the dolley. B@lls. I thought I would wreck it by dragging it while slightly tilting it, but it made it only with my magic sliders damaged.