Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GPD Win 2 & Newer Emulators (are there better options?)  (Read 2443 times)

dgrace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 01:43:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GPD Win 2 & Newer Emulators (are there better options?)
« on: May 25, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
For the past 2 years i've been looking for a handheld device that can play newer advanced emulators (i.e. CEMU, rpsc3, pcsx2, Citra, teknoparrot, Dolphin, etc.) at quality and playable speeds.  I currently have an NVidia Shield, which is awesome, but the newest emulator it can play well is PS1.  The best and most cost effective option I could find to date was the recent GPD Win 2.  Based on what i've seen on Youtube it can play Dolphin and pcsx2 flawlessly at 60 fps for the most part.  However, CEMU and rpcs3 was still hit and miss.  I think teknoparrot was also pretty flawless on the Win2.  That said, it appears to be the best option out there right now.  The only other better option I could find was the Razor pro edge but it's ridiculously expensive from what I researched (i.e. $1,000-$1,200 range). I think the GPD Win 2 is around $700-$800. 

Does anyone know if there are any other cheaper options for the newer emulators on handheld devices? I heard they are close to hacking the Nintendo Switch for emulators but I don't believe it would be strong enough for emulators like CEMU and rpcs3? Thanks

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Re: GPD Win 2 & Newer Emulators (are there better options?)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:18:39 am »
This is not the right forum for a question about handheld emulation devices. But the answer is no. There is no such device. What you are looking for does not exist. For one thing you cannot expect to pay less money than the top performing devices and get better performance. That's not realistic. And also you are talking about high demand PC emulators. Some of these emulators you are talking about are still in development and don't even play most games at full speed on high end PCs, so good luck getting them to run on a handeheld. Even if the Switch is hacked it is not going to be powerful enough to do what you want it to do. The device you are looking for might come out in 5 to 10 years. Mobile computing is simply not near that powerful yet.

dgrace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 01:43:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 04:32:17 pm »
This is not the right forum for a question about handheld emulation devices. But the answer is no. There is no such device. What you are looking for does not exist. For one thing you cannot expect to pay less money than the top performing devices and get better performance. That's not realistic. And also you are talking about high demand PC emulators. Some of these emulators you are talking about are still in development and don't even play most games at full speed on high end PCs, so good luck getting them to run on a handeheld. Even if the Switch is hacked it is not going to be powerful enough to do what you want it to do. The device you are looking for might come out in 5 to 10 years. Mobile computing is simply not near that powerful yet.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm sorry.  I wasn't sure where else to ask this question. I figured the GPD Win2 was probably the best option out there.  Just thought I would see if there was something I just wasn't aware of.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 05:08:04 pm »
No problem, if you want to play those on a handheld your best bet is to stream them over Wifi, but of course you would have to be home to do that...