Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: iPac and setting controls  (Read 4072 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
iPac and setting controls
« on: May 25, 2018, 11:03:13 am »
Just finished my CP and looking at setting up the IPac ultimate and controls.

Primary use is Mame but will be using different emulators - am I best setting each of the buttons to a keyboard key and then re-assigning in the emulator, or should I assign buttons based on Mame defaults and go from there?

Is there a list of what these are somewhere?

Thanks!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
Re: iPac and setting controls
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 12:14:02 pm »
I don't think it matters.  The iPac2 is labeled so I just run the wires from the input to the corresponding place on the CP.  If a button isn't acting as it should I remap in MAME (and I assume you would do the same thing in any other emulator).

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:17:09 pm »
I don't think it matters.  The iPac2 is labeled so I just run the wires from the input to the corresponding place on the CP.  If a button isn't acting as it should I remap in MAME (and I assume you would do the same thing in any other emulator).
Yeah, that's what I've done, but nothing seems to tally naturally so seems everything is going to need a remap

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »
What are the pros/cons of the gamepad/non-gamepad firmware options?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:20:44 pm by vaderag »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 01:00:46 pm »
The FAQ has a pretty good list.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Encoders

Scott

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 01:07:09 pm »
The FAQ has a pretty good list.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Encoders

Scott
Thanks. Given everything on the board is digital anyway (apart from the trackball but assume that is a separate encoder) then seems no reason to put it in gamepad mode?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »
Given everything on the board is digital anyway (apart from the trackball but assume that is a separate encoder) then seems no reason to put it in gamepad mode?
The Ultimarc Ultimate I/O is a hybrid keyboard/gamepad/optical encoder board.
All input pins can be assigned to any keyboard key, gamepad button (including hat switch), mouse button or power/volume control. Also sleep/wake.  Inputs can be assigned as trackball and spinner and our U-Trak and SpinTrak devices plug directly into the board.

Here are some questions that might help you narrow down which type of output is better for your setup:

1. Which emulators/games do you plan to run? (some might require gamepad button inputs, some might require a keystroke to exit . . .)

2. If you decide to use keystrokes, you'll probably want to change the 'modifier keys'.  (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, etc.)

3. Do you plan on using USB gamepads?  Always plugged-in or plug in as needed?

Scott

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 02:15:48 pm »
1. Many. Mostly MAME tho. Everything else is secondary

2. Not and issue and makes sense

3. This is where things might get interesting. Originally i planned to, then i decided not to, now I'm in the maybe camp. Either way, they will not be permanent... How will this impact?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 12:33:18 am »
1. Many. Mostly MAME tho. Everything else is secondary
MAME won't be a problem since it is easy to configure and very flexible.

The unspecified "Many" may include emulators that are not.   :banghead:

Go through your entire list of desired emulators and see which ones (if any) have input-type limitations and/or hard-coded keys.

Configure your encoder to work with the most restrictive "gotta-have-it" emulator on your list.

If all of your desired emulators are free of input-type limitations and/or hard-coded keys, you can use whatever keystrokes, gamepad buttons, or mix of them you desire.   ;D

3. This is where things might get interesting. Originally i planned to, then i decided not to, now I'm in the maybe camp. Either way, they will not be permanent... How will this impact?
Disclaimer: I'm not very familiar with this subject.  Hopefully someone who has gone through this configuration process can clarify or correct my second-hand observations.

Newer versions of MAME have a built-in controller ID function that should keep controllers in the right order when you plug/un-plug the controller. (sorry, don't remember the proper name right now  :dunno)

IIRC some emulators will automatically grab the first two gamepads that come up and assign them to P1 and P2.

That can become a problem when Windows sees the Ultimate I/O as a gamepad and assigns it to P1 instead of the USB gamepad that was assigned to P1 when you configured the emulator, but is now a different gamepad number after rebooting or un-plugging/re-plugging.

Scott

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 02:43:12 am »
Thanks. Presumably I can use Rocket Launcher to use AHK / Joy2Key or Xpadder to swap things around when I launch a troublesome emulator tho as well?

Re your last point I guess that sounds even more of a reason to set it as keyboard only...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 03:54:17 am »
Thanks. Presumably I can use Rocket Launcher to use AHK / Joy2Key or Xpadder to swap things around when I launch a troublesome emulator tho as well?
There are options like that, but they may may not be necessary.

First check if there are any specific problems with the various emulators then look for solutions.

Re your last point I guess that sounds even more of a reason to set it as keyboard only...
AFAIK there is no "keyboard only" version of the firmware for the Ultimate I/O board.

The Ultimate I/O shows up in Windows as a hybrid keyboard+gamepad+mouse device regardless of what outputs you program.

If you set every input port to output a keystroke, Windows will still see the gamepad and mouse devices that are part of the firmware.

There is no "one-size-fits-all" solution because there are WAY too many variables.

The only way to know for sure is to test your particular combination of hardware, firmware, software, and configuration files to see what, if any, problems arise.

Scott

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 04:18:03 am »
Thanks. Think I have enough to have a play (when the kids give me chance!!). Appreciate the help!

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 03:21:01 pm »

AFAIK there is no "keyboard only" version of the firmware for the Ultimate I/O board.

The Ultimate I/O shows up in Windows as a hybrid keyboard+gamepad+mouse device regardless of what outputs you program.

That was the situation when the board was released. Unfortunately RetroPie didnt like this. So the current situation is the board ships with firmware which doesnt have any gamepad device at all. Alternative firmware is available on our site which adds TWO gamepads in addition to the standard keyboard, mouse and LED control. In theory this should also be RetroPie-friendly so we might start shipping this version as the default.

BTW the latest firmware has adjustable switch debounce time.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 04:33:53 pm »

That was the situation when the board was released. Unfortunately RetroPie didnt like this. So the current situation is the board ships with firmware which doesnt have any gamepad device at all. Alternative firmware is available on our site which adds TWO gamepads in addition to the standard keyboard, mouse and LED control. In theory this should also be RetroPie-friendly so we might start shipping this version as the default.

BTW the latest firmware has adjustable switch debounce time.
I've updated to the latest but I think I'll move to the keyboard only. I'm prettyl sure my default was with gamepad as that's why I chose that version but maybe i misinterpreted

Is the last point only relevant in gamepad mode?

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 06:15:27 pm »

All controls have adjustable debounce in the latest version.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 02:49:01 am »

Okay, so new question... What does this actually mean??

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 10:05:17 am »
Okay, so new question... What does this actually mean??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch#Contact_bounce

Some switches bounce (chatter) for longer than others.
- If the debounce time is too short for your microswitch, 1 button press will output several keystrokes.
- If the debounce time is too long for your microswitch, several rapid button presses will output only one keystroke.

Scott