Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ML-1 Hard drive crashed... is there a work around?  (Read 7580 times)

minivipr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2018, 10:38:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
ML-1 Hard drive crashed... is there a work around?
« on: May 23, 2018, 04:00:45 pm »
Not really wanting to spend the money on a new hard drive for this ML-1. I have tried to clone a working drive to a new hard drive and had no luck, get a critical error /r during boot up. Tried to clone the old hard drive with a working hard drive and I get the same error. I assume then it must be some protection in the boot up that I am not getting with the cloning software. Has anybody had any luck in finding out a way around this. I have seen removing and swapping the board between the old and new hard drive but I am afraid that I have already overwritten whatever protection that may be on the old drive. AMI really don't really have any information on the programming of these hard drives - their suggestion - buy a new hard drive.

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
Re: ML-1 Hard drive crashed... is there a work around?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 05:31:57 pm »
New hard drive is the only way. Period

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 05:40:23 pm »
the harddrives are encoded to the machine and harddrives serial numbers.  so even a working drive from another machine won't work... nor will a clone.

Ami handles parts for megatouch (what's left of them).  possibly betson imperial may have drives and software.

minivipr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2018, 10:38:10 am
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:39:04 am »
While it is true that the hard drive is paired to the host machine replacing the hard drive from another unit is possible. The software will realize it is in a different cabinet and require a factory reset to be used with the new machine.

Asure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 02:56:01 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:18:29 pm »
I was informed these are bitlockered drives and as such will throw up the bitlocker screen asking for password when you change bios stuff, swap drives, etc.
You'll need to get around that first.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:34 am
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:57:42 pm »
I have have two ML-1's and neither of them have a bios password. If you try to clone a drive it will  throw an error loading and get to 99% loading and a jit will pop up.

arcadesrfun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2021, 09:34:14 am
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 06:57:31 pm »
Did anyone figure out how to clone the ML-1 drive?  I would like to make a backup of mine. 

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:55:35 pm »
Did anyone figure out how to clone the ML-1 drive?  I would like to make a backup of mine.

Its detailed, and requires specialized hardware tools. PM me if you absolutely need one.

caspper69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2020, 09:03:44 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 10:35:48 am »
I too am encountering a problem with cloned ML-1 drives being stuck @ 99% after throwing an exception early in the hard drive verification process.

We are just trying to get some machines working that have been in service forever and have failing hard drives.  I have a workshop, so specialty hardware isn't (usually) an issue.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 07:56:04 pm »
I too am encountering a problem with cloned ML-1 drives being stuck @ 99% after throwing an exception early in the hard drive verification process.

We are just trying to get some machines working that have been in service forever and have failing hard drives.  I have a workshop, so specialty hardware isn't (usually) an issue.

PC-3000 Portable III

https://www.acelaboratory.com/pc-3000-portable-iii-systems.php

Or you can pay me to recover and repair Your failing ML-1 drives.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:02:25 pm by mahkeymike »

caspper69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2020, 09:03:44 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 09:04:29 pm »

PC-3000 Portable III

https://www.acelaboratory.com/pc-3000-portable-iii-systems.php

Or you can pay me to recover and repair Your failing ML-1 drives.

Much appreciated.

tlandrews

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2022, 07:13:48 am
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 03:24:09 pm »
For anyone still following, I am looking into this with some success.  I have two different ML-1 systems that I have been able to obtain the bitlocker keys from.  It appears that the keys are different on each drive.  Cloning the drives do not work.  Swapping the drives in either system sends me to a factory reset screen which then fails, but the drive works when placed back into the original system.  So it appears there might be both a hardware and software component involved in generating these keys.

Using the obtained bitlocker keys, I was able to fully decrypt the drives.  It appears there is a games partition, a recovery partition, and a logs partition.  Nothing remarkable in the logs about encryption.  The game boots into the menu and the games work fine.  However, cloning a decrypted drive boots to the menu also.....but the games simply exit as soon as you try to start them.  Looks like there might be something else going on besides the initial encryption.

I am interested in being able to make a backup of these drives which inevitably will fail.  I would love to get this running on SSD but the only drives I see available online are the platter-based.  Has anyone been able to get any closer than me?

gerbel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2021, 03:22:53 am
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 02:09:32 am »
On the subject of ML-1 problems.
I have an ML-1 machine here that is stuck in a reboot loop. Boots into windows, does somethings with the logs etc, tries to initialize, and then shutsdown and reboots. Has anyone made any headway or have a solution to get it working again? Would greatly appreciate any and all help.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 11:42:07 am »
On the subject of ML-1 problems.
I have an ML-1 machine here that is stuck in a reboot loop. Boots into windows, does somethings with the logs etc, tries to initialize, and then shutsdown and reboots. Has anyone made any headway or have a solution to get it working again? Would greatly appreciate any and all help.

Reboot loop is usually due to a change in hardware. For example, if you remove the wifi dongle it will reboot loop. Even unplugging the speakers will cause reboot loops. I have had a machine with a bad wifi dongle and it reboot looped.