Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Picked up a Free Cosmic Guerilla Today  (Read 4064 times)

Hexigonz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2018, 05:40:49 pm
  • Trying to restore this Universal cab
Picked up a Free Cosmic Guerilla Today
« on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:58 pm »
Hello everyone!

I am new here and joined because I picked up this Cosmic Guerilla cabinet today after everyone in my office got tired of looking at it. It hasn't worked since I started here about a year ago and I want to restore the cab. I'm on the fence about whether or not to restore the game itself, or swap in an RPI and some new controls. I've got an extra one laying around, so who knows. It's pretty beat up, apparently has a ROM on it that isn't CG, and someone swapped in a Moon Eagle Marquee.

Anyways, I don't have much experience with woodworking, and I've only done light solder work before. Looking to learn a lot here. So far my progress is getting it into my wife's SUV and I learned that these things weigh way more than I thought. Also I checked the counter (I don't know how accurate they are) but apparently this thing has had  32,000 quarters inserted! So cool. Anyways, looking forward to this project and joining this community! 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:07:14 pm by Hexigonz »
Just trying to restore this Universal cab

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: Picked up a Free Cosmic Guerilla Today
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:44:17 pm »
Oh.... Man it's a Universal cabinet! That thing is like my grail! Always wanted to fix one up. I love the shape of those. Please don't put a pi in it... Please don't mess with the controls. You could probably put that thing on craigslist and trade it for a decent Golden Tee shell. Or sell it as is. This is an arcade gem in my opinion!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:44:47 pm »
Where do you live? Anywhere in Wi by chance?  >:D
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:11:04 pm »
I second that thought. Don't wreck that cab.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 10:44:06 pm »
Restore that one - the Universal cabs are like works of art!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Hexigonz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »
Oh.... Man it's a Universal cabinet! That thing is like my grail! Always wanted to fix one up. I love the shape of those. Please don't put a pi in it... Please don't mess with the controls. You could probably put that thing on craigslist and trade it for a decent Golden Tee shell. Or sell it as is. This is an arcade gem in my opinion!
I second that thought. Don't wreck that cab.
Restore that one - the Universal cabs are like works of art!

The more I tear in to it and find little bits and pieces of it's history, the more I want to restore it. It's just really beat up, but if I'm patient I'm sure I could make it happen. I was heavily leaning towards the PI, leaving the controls, and making it boot in to cosmic guerilla, but if you guys really think I've got something special here, I will try to restore as much as possible. As far as the cab itself goes, I'm planning on restoring, no painting over or modifying or anything.

Where do you live? Anywhere in Wi by chance?  >:D

I do not! I live in FL haha

I started tearing in to this thing yesterday. Got the marquee out. Wanted to start somewhere simple so I'm stripping the rust and old paint off the marquee retainer rails and repainting them black, as well as ordering a reproduction CG marquee. Will start taking the monitor and boards apart this evening.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 04:09:18 pm »
Score one for the good guys.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 04:12:10 pm »
It is great news... I am sure there are local collectors in your area that can help. This isn't the best site for that unfortunately. I would head over to KLOV. https://forums.arcade-museum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

There is a large Restoration community there. But yes I say you have something very special.

Ian

Hexigonz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 05:40:56 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I will check out their community as well!

TimothyC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2018, 09:43:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:43 pm »
Here's a more active Florida board:

http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php

There are many there that can offer tips and potentially help in person as well. 

Also, you'll definitely want to make plans to visit http://wp.freeplayflorida.com/ in Orlando this fall too (Nov 9th - 11th).  You'll find 200+ classic pinball and arcade games all set to free play for the weekend.  It's a great show that attracts people from all over so it's worth the trip. 

Good luck with your project!