Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help replacing LED in Joystick  (Read 943 times)

mhermann

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2019, 07:10:08 pm
  • We ain't found.........
Help replacing LED in Joystick
« on: May 23, 2018, 02:20:50 pm »
Hello all. Been a while since I have been back here. Need a little guidance. After building my first Arcade machine 10 years ago, I bought a pre-made 4 player panel from East Coast Customs like 6 years ago. Recently 2 of the joysticks no longer light up. It looks like the cables got twisted and probably caused them to break. They are attached to an LED Wiz.

I am having a hard time finding what part I need to get to replace.

I probably should post a few picks but am at work right now. I will post the pics when I get home. 

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Help replacing LED in Joystick
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 03:50:42 pm »
If the wires broken just cut out the broken part and splice it back together?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:10:45 pm »
GGG and Paradise have slip-ring connections that will keep the joystick handle LED wires from getting twisted/broken.

GGG - https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=382

Paradise Arcade Shop - https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/controls/accessories/376_ultimate-arcade-slip-ring

Scott

mhermann

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2019, 07:10:08 pm
  • We ain't found.........
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »
I will definitley pick up a couple slip rings.

I don't think the wire actually broke,  Although that may be the case they are still inside the installation. I think the LED is actually out. I found the replacement on Paradise Arcade.

One question though. I read this in the description and not sure what else I need to hook it up to my LED Wiz. I don't see anything else connected from the LED to the board currently.

"Please note these do not have resistors installed so they will need a current control circuit (or resistor) to run properly."

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:40:23 pm »
I think the LED is actually out. I found the replacement on Paradise Arcade.

One question though. I read this in the description and not sure what else I need to hook it up to my LED Wiz. I don't see anything else connected from the LED to the board currently.

"Please note these do not have resistors installed so they will need a current control circuit (or resistor) to run properly."
The resistor for the old LED was probably concealed under heat-shrink.

Please post a link to the replacement LED so we can help you find the correct current limiting resistor and figure out how to wire the whole circuit.

Scott