Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hello and thanks already  (Read 1303 times)

DonPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2018, 01:59:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello and thanks already
« on: May 23, 2018, 04:44:22 am »
Didn't see an introduction forum/topic so just shooting in the dark here.

Got the ok from the wife to start the build, not just an ok, but mega support!

Been looking around for a good 4 months, got the main idea's of what to do, where to find info...

Got my hand drawn plans pencil'd out...

Working in 3DS Max to build out my blueprints. 

Should be making my announcement post within a week, still waiting to see if im going to use an old tube tv i found on 5mile, or a 32" lcd to finalize plans.

Cab is going to be used in our restaurant with about 20~ old school classics  (dig dug, frogger, perhaps a couple old nes roms)  want to keep it to just a handful of game for this one to keep the theme.

I have already found a ton of resources here, and hope to get some honest feedback as I post progress pics. 

Luckily we have the time and resources to complete this project in just a week or two. (road-blocks and shipping issues aside)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:46:32 am by DonPunch »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2019, 03:23:58 pm
Re: Hello and thanks already
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:54:43 am »
Good luck on your project  :applaud:

For the build:
Material your using for the cabin is first important thing, next one is ofc screen size and mounting style for it.

When you get the cabin itself built, its all about paint, electronics, vinyls/deco etc.

Are you using Raspberry or pc? Raspberry is easiest with Retropie but mame support is quite old on it.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:43:59 am »
Cab is going to be used in our restaurant with about 20~ old school classics  (dig dug, frogger, perhaps a couple old nes roms)  want to keep it to just a handful of game for this one to keep the theme.

Be sure to check with your local codes enforcement to ensure you obtain any special permits/licenses that might be required - depending on where you are located even machines that are free to play may require permits.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:07:03 pm »
  You found a TV on 5 mile island?.... like the nuclear meltdown place?.... You may want to rethink that plan, Or at the very least put a cap kit in it or something. :o
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:12:49 pm by jennifer »

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:06:01 pm »
  You found a TV on 5 mile island?.... like the nuclear meltdown place?.... You may want to rethink that plan, Or at the very least put a cap kit in it or something. :o

Lol https://www.5miles.com/

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 02:47:55 pm »
Oh...That seems all fun and cute (*Jennifer secretly now planning to go shopping there too ;))....But good grief, I feel like an idiot for jumping to conclusions.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:03 pm »
What a great way to risk your business by installing an illegal emulator cabinet that will make no money but will create potential unlimited liability.

Instead call a local operator and ask them to put in a claw machine and a Ms. Pac/Galaga reunion cabinet. It will cost you nothing and you will get like 30 percent after the split (the Ms. Pac will earn nothing but the claw machine will make bank). And if anything bad happens with the machines it is the operators problem not yours.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.