Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame split,merged or non merged roms for GM?  (Read 9074 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:26:20 pm
Mame split,merged or non merged roms for GM?
« on: May 21, 2018, 11:20:24 pm »
Im about to update my set but im not really sure wich one to use, so as the question says, wich one do i need? thanks for your help

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Mame split,merged or non merged roms for GM?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:15:39 am »
Up to you. If you download a complete romset of any of the types below you have everything you need to run any (working) game, but a complete romset is 30k+ games and most of it is garbage - no disrespect intended to either the devs or people who like games i don't ;)

Non-merged - all games and all their children/clones/bootlegs are totally separate zip files, each including all needed bios and driver files. All you do is click any title and it will work. Takes up the most space/download. MAME sees them all, and if you want to only remove/select any particular parent or clone you just grab the zip. I removed the TMNT/TMNT2 parent sets as i have a 2-player cab and want the child versions that have the character select screen.

Split - parent zips are complete, child/clone/bootleg zips contain only the roms that are different from the parent set. Bios and driver files are separate again, and required. Takes up a lot less space. Clones/children automatically see the parent, but no title will run without the parent present, and the right bios and drivers. You can start moving files around to create complete clone/child sets, but just using non-merged is easier for that.

Merged - parent/clones/bootlegs of a game are all in a single zip file. Doesn't really let you remove clones/children/bootlegs without opening the archives, which is a pain. Takes up least space, but is harder to work with because the filter in MAME will never do precisely what you want.

In total on my two cabs i picked out just under 300 roms, and i go for non-merged versions. I tend to want only one version of a game, and not always the parent, Black Tiger excepted.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:35:39 pm by buttersoft »