Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Preping for Paint, MDF - Frist Cabinet, Help!  (Read 4019 times)

aaronlagomarsino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2018, 10:25:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Preping for Paint, MDF - Frist Cabinet, Help!
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:43:15 pm »
Hi guys, i'm building my first cabinet, i'm ready to start priming, I had a few questions about prepping for paint; Im using 3/4” MDF.

1. After applying the wood filler what grit do I sand down to? I was planning on 220, let me know if I need more or less
2. Im going to apply BIN with a shellac  base as my primer, do I need to apply this to the insides of the cabinet that won't be visible to seal the wood or is that not necessary?
3. How many coats of primer do I apply?
4. What sanding grits do I use after each coat of primer?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:40:51 am by aaronlagomarsino »

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
Re: Preping for Paint, MDF - Frist Cabinet, Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:58:39 pm »
1.  220 grit nice smooth finish is fine.
2.  It's not really necessary although I sprayed my entire cab.
3.  One coat is fine. Sand again with 220 before applying your top coat.
4.  See above.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
Re: Preping for Paint, MDF - Frist Cabinet, Help!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 02:44:24 pm »
Used the same stuff. Did the same. Sanded to 220. Rolled on with a foam roller.

While 1 coat may be sufficient, it was cold when I rolled mine, and in order to fill any low spots, and built up a good level coating with 3 coats (sand in between) so that I know sealed the MDF up good.

Since MDF sucks so much water, and it can get damp here, I primed the inside. Didn't have to sand it because it won't be seen. I half ass sanded the back, but didn't lose too much sleep. What was nice is that the white inside benefits from a bright colour inside IMO for service and keeping it clean. If someone spills something on or near it, I won't worry as much about swelling.

It ain't cheap, but it's great primer. Haven't had any lines telegraph through yet, which seems to be an issue with unsealed MDF.