Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hanacho Hotrod question  (Read 1576 times)

Macattack222

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2019, 04:49:41 am
Hanacho Hotrod question
« on: May 20, 2018, 01:21:50 pm »
Hey Gang,

A couple months ago, I got a smoking deal on a showcade cabinet that I picked up from a cool dude in town (who originally got it from some guy in Vegas who sold mame cabinets) and I'm currently working out all the kinks. It was running Mala on a celerion from 2004 so that was the first thing to go. Running it on a super modern Pentium 4 from 2008  ;D now with RetroFE and its definetly getting the job done. 

Now that I've updated all the software I'm just trying to put the finishing touches on this badboy. It has the keyboard encoder (w/ passthrough) Hotrod. The problem that I'm having is that random inputs act like they're in "turbo" mode for lack of a better description. This is especially an issue for control stick as when you hit up in Retro FE, it will move 3-4 spaces because thats how many inputs the computer is receiving (I confirmed it through wordpad as well). While messy, there aren't any obvious issues with the wiring, and I did some basic troubleshooting like testing a different switch and checking connections. Since I'm at a bit of a loss, I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:59:25 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Hanacho Hotrod question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 02:21:15 pm »
I hope that smokin' deal means it was free.

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:53:10 am
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:45:20 pm »
Is it connected to a native PS/2 port? HotRods never worked very happily with USB adapters iirc.

Also, do you have a keyboard (or spare encoder) plugged into the passthrough? You do need one plugged into it for proper operation.

Make sure that 'sticky keys' is disabled in Windows. Some BIOS's also offer a key polling rate setting that you may be able to adjust.

Macattack222

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2019, 04:49:41 am
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:21:11 pm »
I do have it connected through a ps/2 to USB, but it did the same thing on the older computer with native keyboard. I do have the keyboard plugged in through the pass through.

It sounds like there is some control software for the hodrod? I can definitely look into that though.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:35:12 pm »
if it were mine, I'd just pull whatever encoder is in there and replace it with an IPAC2
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:42:33 am »
if it were mine, I'd just pull whatever encoder is in there and replace it with an IPAC2

Just another part of playing with old gear, especially when fresh to the scene. Yet so would I because even the first version was 'modern'.