Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can a 60 FPS game be speed up somehow?  (Read 2442 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can a 60 FPS game be speed up somehow?
« on: May 19, 2018, 08:49:40 am »
Hi,

I got a racing games which runs at 60 FPS but I feel it kind of slow.

I've seen in some cases people using a 144hz monitor and some games try to sync with that frequency and run quicker, but I don't have such a monitor to try.
Do you know if there's any software/tool to help speeding up games?, ie, what I'm trying to do is to run the game faster basically...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:54:50 am by mickael28 »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Can a 60 FPS game be speed up somehow?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:29:12 pm »
can't help without more info...what game...what system? TV? Console?pc?

in any case you can't "speed up" a game without either...

duplicating frames to fill missing ones

or

increasing the computation speed to increase the frames being output.

or

reducing the resolution/video settings of the game to have less data to crunch and increase framerate

this results in either...

no more information to display so you end up with 60 frames...each being duplicated 2x each to make 120 frames

or

having a game run unnaturally 2 times fast to make 120 frames per second.

or

not all games/systems have the ability to sacrifice quality for framerate.

there have been experimentations with using 2 frames and creating a frame between the 2 frames to simulate higher framerate.... kind of like "clear frame" like what TV's do to get 120 144 240...etc hz  framerates... The TVs have to do some artificial processing work vs. just displaying each frame flat out at perfect speed so you typically end up with display lag...unacceptable in video games.

no1throwaway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2018, 07:33:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Can a 60 FPS game be speed up somehow?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 07:32:34 pm »
I've set up a throwaway so I can simply answer this question. By all means delete it afterwards.

First of all, which game is it you're trying to speed up?

Secondly, look up "monitor overclocking". It can be done with easily available tools and when I did it (hardly on the best gaming monitor) I got 70-72Hz out of a 60Hz TV although the color gamut was thrown into a sort of ultra-bright output compared to earlier (not undesirable for me because the colors were dim by default on this particular monitor).

This setup was then checked on a bunch of games and FPS counters and they did report the FPS increasing slightly. It was an undesired effect at the time because it sped the game up "past the author's intent at 60 frames" so I put it back to normal after that but the experiment was useful just so I could see how it could be done.

Going any higher than 72Hz put the monitor into "out of range" and there were warnings given with the overclocking about damaging the monitor or shortening it's lifespan. I pushed it to 75Hz (further than it could tolerate apparently) but changing it back to stock it worked fine afterwards. I don't really understand the science behind it. That's what I tried out, and those were the results I got.

The throwaway's purpose is all done now.. bye bye