Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTD: empty CD spindles  (Read 2972 times)

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
WTD: empty CD spindles
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:37:16 am »
Empty ones, like the ones that hold together a bunch of retail blank CD-Rs or blank DVD-Rs.

Would be nice for them to have the capacity to hold 50 discs, but let me know if you have other.

Hoping to spend very minimal $ on this, or even send to me for the cost of shipping to USA 92620 & I'll write you a poem or draw you a picture or something equally fabulous. :]

Thanks,
-Jason

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:21:35 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re: WTD: empty CD spindles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:21:51 pm »
shipping probably cost more.  Check your local store.

My local Microcenter sells it for $2.00

I you are near me, I'll give you three FREE.
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:17:17 pm »
Thanks. Haven't heard of Micro Center. There's a local one, but no empty spindles listed on their website.

Thanks for the free offer, but you're on the wrong coast. :]

-Jason

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:46:30 pm »
Thanks. Haven't heard of Micro Center. There's a local one, but no empty spindles listed on their website.

Thanks for the free offer, but you're on the wrong coast. :]

-Jason

THey call them Cake Boxes - 3 in stock in Tustin CA according to the website !

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:49:37 pm by JDFan »

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:59:37 pm »
Well, I'll be dipped.

Cake boxes. Never heard it. But it makes perfect sense.

OK, I'm taking my kid to a Dr. appt. in Tustin on Friday. Time to do some multiple-bird/single-stone killing.

Thanks!
-Jason

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:16:31 am »
Well, I'll be dipped.

Cake boxes. Never heard it. But it makes perfect sense.

OK, I'm taking my kid to a Dr. appt. in Tustin on Friday. Time to do some multiple-bird/single-stone killing.

Thanks!
-Jason

While there you might want to pick up an RPI Zero and/or Zero-W - since they are one of the few places that actually sells them at the MSRP of $5 or $10 for the pizeroW ( though they limit it to one per model at that price - So for the $15 you can pick up a zero and zeroW for projects )

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:24 am »
Microcenter is actually a nice store with somewhat knowledgeable sales staff.  I absolutely refuse to step foot in Fry's anymore.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »
I am a fan of Micro Center.  Micro Center provides what Best Buys thinks Best Buy provides to the end consumer.

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 07:25:16 am »
I am a fan of Micro Center.

+1 to that. They will actually price match Amazon (and some other online retailers) as long as the item is sold by Amazon and not a 3rd party. It's nice to be able to pick something up the same day and have the ability to easily return it if there are any issues. I also try to support Micro Center as much as possible so they will stay in business. I feel like it's a good thing to have brick and mortar stores continue to exist alongside online retailers. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:57 am »
How's the price matching go at Microcenter? 

Frankly, it was that experience that finally nailed the coffin shut for Fry's.  Gigantic "WE PRICE MATCH AMAZON!" signs everywhere and it took them 20 minutes and 3 employees to do it.  And it was crazy differences like $25 for a DVD at Fry's, $5 at Amazon.  And the manager had a really bad attitude about it.  There were like 5 customers in the store so it's not like he had anything else to do.

Fry's also does some super shady ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- in that they won't show you the prices as everything rings up, and just give you a total.  This is because nothing in their pricing system matches the listed prices on the shelf (and it's always more expensive in their system - always).  If you complain about that, it's another 20 minute wait while that manager unglues his ass from his chair, then summons someone to go verify that the sign we can all see from the register does in fact say it's $10 less than it rang up.  I walked away from a cart full of purchases at the register after that performance.

Anyway, it defies belief that an electronics store full of computers, monitors, and printers is unable to pull up competitor prices, print price match evidence, or display your purchases as they ring up.

I've noticed Microcenter does the exact opposite - they have a big screen showing each item and actually verbally call out the prices as they come up. 

Thanks for listening, I feel better.

:cheers:

Schnookums

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 08:17:27 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 10:56:28 pm »
I unfortunately can't answer as to their price matching, but I can second pbj on shopping experiences at Frys vs Microcenter. I'm lucky in that Microcenter is far easier for me to get to, but I've found their deals in general to be far superior than whatever it is that Frys is offering.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 11:10:44 pm »
Another thing to watch with Fryes is they reshrink wrap packages that have been returned or opened and half the time they repack it it's missing pieces that you don't notice until you get all the way home and open it _ I had it happen so many times I started opening everything I purchased at the register in front of the cashier just to verify it was all in the box ( they love when you do that also - but when you try and return it after finding parts missing they try to blame you and get out of taking the return !

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 11:34:44 pm »
What makes it worse is Frys started on the graveyard of Incredible Universe.  Which was a nutso store within a store with live bands, in house dj, and a day care... but also the only place I’ve ever played a Neo Geo or CDI console.  Best Buy sort of ripped off their model.

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 10:50:32 pm »
Thanks for the spirited & educational discussion.

Drove by Micro Center today but instead prioritized the Toys R Us closing sale.

Also, picked up from a local Facebook video game group guy a couple of cake boxes populated w/ blank discs, for not much more than the price of these empties, so I'm set for now.

But I do appreciate the phat knowledge laid upon me here & may benefit from it in the future.

Thanks,
-Jason