Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fighting Game Moves 'Book'  (Read 4120 times)

rave0035

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
Fighting Game Moves 'Book'
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:49:35 pm »
Haven't found this in my limited searching, but wanted to know if anyone had started a project like this...

My bartop doesn't use interactive marquees, so I don't have any fighting game move lists anywhere on my machine... as lame as it sounds, I would love a printed book of move lists to hang next to my machine - particularly if I could only print those for games that I've got on my machine.

I'm guessing nothing exists but thought I would ask here before giving up all hope.

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: Fighting Game Moves 'Book'
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:00:39 pm »
Pause in RocketLauncher has them built in:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:08:08 pm »
I’ve found a few nice looking ones searching stuff like “mortal Kombat 2 move list.”  I’ve printed them and tossed on a shelf near my cabinet.  You could surely compile something better and have it printed professionally.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 10:02:00 am »
I'm working on such a project for the fighting games on my cab. The latest updates are not on my public site yet, but I can upload them this weekend. I'm no graphic designer, so the design of the moves documentation is pretty basic, but maybe some of my solutions might spur some ideas for youself. At least I have the movesets of many popular characters fully documented.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:14:22 pm »
There has been some talk about it over the years:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,53072.msg561719.html

I searched lulu, at a glance, I didn't see it.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:02 pm »
Wow, thanks - surprised there is so much interest in this.  It does feel like a bit of work to pull together, and I'm not finding much that isn't text-only.  Might have to resort to that...

Mike 
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 10:35:47 pm »
Call me crazy but isn’t a quick button press to pause the game with all the moves laid out a more efficient way to approach this, especially since it’s all done, no work up front?

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 07:58:59 am »
Call me crazy but isn’t a quick button press to pause the game with all the moves laid out a more efficient way to approach this, especially since it’s all done, no work up front?
Appreciate it but this isn't really what I'm looking for, although it is a slick approach.

I started last night and it's not really that bad.  Happy to share what I'm coming up with.  I have less than 25 fighting games on my machine so mine won't be a comprehensive doc but maybe a start for others.

Mike

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 12:17:41 pm »
Cool, I'm not the only one with this kind of obsession. I would have expected a binder full of move lists to be as roundly mocked as cup holders.

I uploaded the progress on my fightnig game move documentation here:
https://draketungsten.github.io/arcade/cp-vs.html

Click on the joystick-and-buttons image to the right of a game to see the move documentation.

There's only a few games I consider complete or nearly complete (and "complete" means I have fully documented the characters I am interested in, which is always less than half the characters of a game): Garou, Guilty Gear X Accent Core (or something like that) for PC, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Martial Masters, Project Justice, Street Fighter III Third Strike, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom.

I don't expect the exact documentation I produced to be the final documentation anybody else would ever use, but it might help other folks as move lists they can copy and reformat, and you might want to incorporate some of the ideas I'm using if you're building one of these yourself from scratch. I'm working on a proper legend to help others decipher it (this project was just meant for my own use), but that's going to take a while to complete. Here's some points to make sense of the apparent jumble of images:

1) Each HTML page of controls mainly consists of one large image which is intended to be printed and placed in a binder. For most fighting games, I use two pages per character, and these would obviously be facing pages in the binder. The first of the two pages consists mostly of generic (or common-to-all-characters) moves, but most games also have at least some character-specific information on the first page as well. Warning: For the games with two pages per character, the first page will look a mess. It will have stuff like dashes, super-jumps, counters, and a description of the super-meter, all of it not organized or labeled very well. Move on to the second page for the character's proper move list.

2) The images for button representation are based on the specific layout and color of buttons on my control panel. The control-panel-looking icon down the right of the game list represents the layout of my CP, except the image is missing a fourth, white-colored, button on the bottom row.

3) Moves are not categorized by type (normal/special/super). They are all sorted by the distance you should be away from your opponent to perform the move. Moves which require a full meter to perform are enclosed in a rectangle of the same color as the meter.

4) Moves *are* categorized by effective range, but even within range categories, the moves are sorted by effective range, so you could erase the range category images and you would still have a list of all moves sorted by effective range. The purplish images with hands at different distances from each other  represent the different range categories. I don't have any hard rules for putting moves into range categories, but since the range-category images can be removed and you're still left with all the moves properly sorted, I don't think lack of discipline in assigning range categories is a big deal.

5) Within each range category, moves are vertically aligned by the first button press.

6) There are three parts to a move entry:
6.1) Blueish-purplish icons to the left of the move, which represent any special spatial relationship which must exist between you and your opponent in order for the move to work, or any special state you or your opponent must be in for the move to work. Also in this first part are icons which tell you if the move has any function other than causing damage (teleportation/healing/etc). You will also find icons here to let you know if the attack is an overhead or a sweep
6.2) The joystick and button input for the move.
6.3) The right-most icons are pinkish and can relay two bits of info: If you have a choice of buttons to use for this move, then this will tell you the property which changes based on button selection (damage, distance, speed, direction), and there are also icons which will tell you any additional effect on your opponent (launch, knock down, knock back).

7) One button containing multiple colors means you press one button at that point, but you have a choice of what that one button is. Two buttons side-by-side means you have to press two buttons simultaneously. Buttons with faded colors are optional button presses. A button filled with color in its top half means that button is on the top row. Same idea for buttons with color filled in on the bottom half of the button and the bottom row. An underlined button means to hold the button press.

Some combo trees are documented, but they weren't a priority for me. They can be immediately recognized by being enclosed in a green rectangle.

Some day I'll do a programatically-generated version of this notation system, for use in my front-end and a second monitor. But I expect I'm going to take a break from documenting moves once the paper version is done.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:50:46 pm by DrakeTungsten »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 09:11:12 am »
Wow, Drake - you are going ALL OUT on this!  Very comprehensive.  My recommendation would be to add in some photo of the character on the sheet for people playing who aren't as familiar with the game.  I'm going to PM you about Martial Masters... I can't find the CP layout anywhere online!

I've attached a .ZIP of what I'm working on here... some .doc and some .pdf in case fonts or formatting don't transfer. 

Just a start - I'll get tighter around fonts, spacing, etc once I get closer to printing, but you'll get the gist from these.  StrategyWiki.org has been invaluable in compiling these.   

These will all live in a binder of some sort that I'll keep by my machine.  I don't imagine it will get a ton of use, but will be invaluable for those 'random fight game' tournaments that I hope will occasionally happen :)  The kids might get some use out of it once they're old enough to mess around with fighting games, too.

Mike

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:16:26 am by rave0035 »

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 11:02:43 am »
I think a dedicated tablet would be cool mounted  nearby with like a pdf or whatever. I would still like to see a book though.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 12:07:58 pm »
My recommendation would be to add in some photo of the character on the sheet for people playing who aren't as familiar with the game. 
I've been toying with that idea, but even with two pages per character, I'm running on low on page real estate for some games/characters. I do have the representation of where they appear on the character select screen, though.
I think a dedicated tablet would be cool mounted  nearby with like a pdf or whatever. I would still like to see a book though.
I want to do this too, and allow swiping on the tablet to scroll through pages, but I can't picture any way to mount it. The tablet would have to be on the larger end, so I don't think incorporating it into the CP is feasible. To go cheap, I looked into using a screen from an old laptop and power it with a Pi. It turns out this might not be impossible, but might be more risky and/or trouble than it's worth, and I'm still stuck with the how-to-mount-it problem.

For "mounting" the paper binder, I'm thinking about getting a musical conductor's stand.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:10:39 pm by DrakeTungsten »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:05:52 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 01:08:55 pm »
Many arcade games had instruction cards or marquees or even flyers with move lists and other information.

I made my moves booklet by just googling to find images with moves and instructions that would be decent enough resolution to print. I had to reconfigure many of the images, since they were in landscape format, but the end result works for me, since I wasn't looking for professional quality.