Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Picking up two machines  (Read 5366 times)

G1zm0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2020, 06:57:58 am
  • cute by day, devil by night
Picking up two machines
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:36 am »
Hi guys . I'm picking up two machines .
Ones a pool fortunes  one . I think it runs on psion  hardware . But can't find any info on cabinet and monitor.

I'm trying to see if I can take it apart for transportation .
It's in a working condition so the guy says but missing pool cue.

So I had 2 thoughts for the cabinet. Use the top marquee and insert a monitor for either a pinball machine with scoreboard .

(I'm going to.loose the pool part. Build it out and insert a 40inch lcd tv .

Or build it out a bit and make a control panel .

The seconds a cash cube . Kick 4 cash game that doesn't work.

Apparently it's a naomi console but comes up cpu error. The screen looks like it has screen burn .

Was thinking of at each side of track ball put joystick and buttons . And a monitor in the top marguee .

Got both for 70 quid . So need van to get them to mine. Ofcourse  the gf dosent approve lol.

What would you guys do with them

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:02:50 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Picking up two machines
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:38:34 am »
Your gf is smarter than you. Listen to her. Your ideas for these machines are terrible.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:44:13 am »
Yeaaaah - not sure where you're getting these ideas from. A monitor in the cash cube marquee?! It's just an un-illuminated sheet topper. Cash cube has a full Naomi system in it, though.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:50:45 am »
Ahh . The guy had on his listing illuminated. Ohh well. It comes up a cpu error . I will see if it's just dust or something simple. Get it ip and running.

What monitors are in these machines..

What would you do with them . I'm open to ideas. .

Another idea for the pool could be a 4 player conversion  like simpsons or gauntlet. The  control panel is big enough to take it

Don't think there's much call for this machine for any home collectors.

But still open to  any suggestions. The guy was gonna break them up  if they didn't sell . And wouldn't give them away for free.

Anyone any Manual or info on the pool game. Can the cabinet come apart.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:55:07 am »
Maybe you should listen to what the first three people said about your impending purchase. Your gf, big10p, and me. You will end up using these cabinets for firewood after you plans end in frustration and your girlfriend leaves you as you are sobbing in front of the fire.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 12:04:57 pm »
The narrow "Win cash prize" marquee does illuminate. CPU error doesn't really tell us much. It could be an error with the Naomi mobo (these tend to die just by looking at them funny), or it could be an error with the CPU on the hopper controller PCB.

The monitor is a Pentranic, and they almost alway have screen burn in these things. Funnily enough, I have the Pool version of the cash cube, and swapped out the monitor for a de-cased, flat screen PC CRT. I also upgraded the game and cab to play the full version of Pool, as the SWP "Prize" version is crap.

Your Pool cab I haven't seen before, but the control mechanics look really good. Looks like it uses cameras or something, to track the cue. Pity you can't play a proper game of Pool on it against a mate, etc.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »
I'm not looking for criticism.  Are you saying the machines have no conversion potential ?.

I'm not new to this I had a turbo outrun cabinet that I repaired monitor and  cleaned it all up . Installed new  pedals   pots ect.

I had a golden tee that I converted into a 2 player  horizontal  gmes cabinet.

A empty one I made new control panel for. It had no monitor sk inserted a crt tv and made it into a vertical mchine.

I had a empty driving cab . But didn't finish it and sold the lot on ebay . If you look on here you I'll see my projects from 2008 I think.

But the retro bug has bit me again and I'm wanting to give old machine a new lease of life . Instead of the scrap heap. I've built a vewlix   themed cabinet  that I have in work.

Building them Is easy . Bringing older ones back to life in a new form is more challenging.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:14:09 pm »
What you have done previously has no bearing on what you intend to do now.
Don't buy these. The ideas you listed are BAD.
If you don't want criticism then why are you asking "What would you guys do with them?"
I am really tired of people saying "What do you think?" when they really mean "shower my brilliant idea with compliments."

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:14:25 pm »
The narrow "Win cash prize" marquee does illuminate. CPU error doesn't really tell us much. It could be an error with the Naomi mobo (these tend to die just by looking at them funny), or it could be an error with the CPU on the hopper controller PCB.

The monitor is a Pentranic, and they almost alway have screen burn in these things. Funnily enough, I have the Pool version of the cash cube, and swapped out the monitor for a de-cased, flat screen PC CRT. I also upgraded the game and cab to play the full version of Pool, as the SWP "Prize" version is crap.

Your Pool cab I haven't seen before, but the control mechanics look really good. Looks like it uses cameras or something, to track the cue. Pity you can't play a proper game of Pool on it against a mate, etc.

Thanks bud. Your right .the monitor had screen burn at the bottom
.don't know how bad it is. I've a 27 inch crt in garage I could hook up to it. Prob need to make a new bezel.

It was cheap at £20

The pool one I will use for a while. I'll clean it up.. repair any damaged parts and might re advertise  it.  But will need to get the coin mechanism  reprogrammed  as it takes old £1 coin and try get a cue for it 

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 12:16:54 pm »
What you have done previously has no bearing on what you intend to do now.
Don't buy these. The ideas you listed are BAD.
If you don't want criticism then why are you asking "What would you guys do with them?"
I am really tired of people saying "What do you think?" when they really mean "shower my brilliant idea with compliments."

My ideas were a starting point. Maby not perfect. But everything has a beginning. 
The cash cube I could take the parts from it and sell them or use them on a new build . Or as I'm trying to do is give it life if the Naomi  system doesn't work.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 12:23:56 pm »

Good luck. I honestly hope you can salvage something out of that purchase.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 12:34:15 pm »

Good luck. I honestly hope you can salvage something out of that purchase.

Me to bud.  I will play around with them . And see if I can restore them . But don't know if they would have any resale value. They are not my type of machines .
ones from  across the border are more expensive to collect or get delivered. These were 10 mile away.

Having second thoughts about this purchase . Prob just email guy and tell him I've no space for them and can't collect (they were from old pool hall)

I'm  thinking  of a new build for  teknoparrot  machine
With changeable control panel for various game types
Anyone want 2 machines lol.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 12:39:20 pm »
A 27" screen is never going to fit, I'm afraid. It was a bit of a squeeze getting the de-cased 19" monitor into mine. The monitor also needs to be one with a completely flat face, else the bezel won't fit. I did consider an LCD at one point for simplicity, but glad I stuck with CRT.

If you can get the Naomi working, you could add joystick/s and buttons pretty easily, I guess. Wiring them to the I/O board shouldn't be too hard. If you also got a net DIMM board, you should be able to play various games on it, then.

Otherwise, if you decide to part it out, you will get more than your money back (assuming most things are working).

As for the Pool cab, I'd just get it all working, and move it on, if it's not your thing.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 12:40:50 pm »
Just tell him, "the wife said no" like all the other cowards.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 01:29:27 pm »
A 27" screen is never going to fit, I'm afraid. It was a bit of a squeeze getting the de-cased 19" monitor into mine. The monitor also needs to be one with a completely flat face, else the bezel won't fit. I did consider an LCD at one point for simplicity, but glad I stuck with CRT.

If you can get the Naomi working, you could add joystick/s and buttons pretty easily, I guess. Wiring them to the I/O board shouldn't be too hard. If you also got a net DIMM board, you should be able to play various games on it, then.

Otherwise, if you decide to part it out, you will get more than your money back (assuming most things are working).

As for the Pool cab, I'd just get it all working, and move it on, if it's not your thing.
Typo error . It's a 24 . I could try get a smaller tv to fit in.
Am I correct to assume it's a naomi 1 that's inside it?.

That's what I was thinking was add buttons ect to the control panel or make  new one to fit .

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 01:51:05 pm »
I think it's a Naomi 1. I thought all cash cubes were, but it turns out the Club Kart version is Naomi 2. My Pool version is Naomi 1.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 08:58:32 pm »
Just tell him, "the wife said no" like all the other cowards.

:duckhunt.... I once had a guy tell me no....Bet he never tried that again with his new girlfriend.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:13:46 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 03:23:28 am »
OP I feel like this is going to be a ton of work only to have these end up in the cringe thread.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 04:50:47 am »
Got the cabs (heavy beasts), been playing the pool one . And the other has a hopper rom error and screen flash.

Had to drill out locks on both.

The cash cab one . I've taken the control panel off. And used wood and acrylic to fashion  a new one

I've started a thread about fixing the hopperboard rom changed error,   I would like to boot the Naomi 1 and bypass the hopper  board.

Looking to get some naomi games and maby a netdim module.

Pool one I can't seem to find any games for the python 1 syst3m

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 05:22:01 am »
Have you replaced the entire CP, or just the steel plate that holds all the controls? The plate should be easy to remove and replace with one that has the holes for the controls you want.

I wouldn't worry about the hopper board error, unless you want to play the SWP game it came with. I just completely disconnected mine. That'll disconnect the coin mech too though, so you'll probably want to fit a credit button.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 07:20:57 am »
No I just took out the middle part that was bolted on. Couldn't find a ready made joystick one .

I've tryed disconnecting the hopper from the Naomi but still does same . Unless I'm missing something.

If I get a klingon credit board I think that would work with the all mech.

The monitor flashes every few mins . Dunno if that would be a monitor thing or connection.  Haven't really looked into it .

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:58 am »
What game are you trying this with? Disconnecting the hopper won't work if you're using the game cart the cab came with, as it's a special "prize" version that checks for hopper board connection. You need to use a regular naomi cart, or a DIMM board.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 11:12:09 am »
Ahh it was game it came with.  I'll look for cheap  one on ebay. Or might mame it.

With the coin mech . Can that be made to work without hopper.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 11:17:07 am »
Coin mech must be able to work without the hopper board, as other Naomi cabs that don't pay out money have them. Don't know how to rig this up, though. Something I meant to look into with my cab, but never got around to, as I have fitted a credit button to the control panel.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 11:22:11 am »
Thanks big10p. 

The monitor flashes a bit . So gonna try something on it to see if it's the.monitor or connecting to naomi.

I'm wondering if I can connect pc to it to check the monitor . Either using vga card or arcade vga.

Also I'm taking the big metal front door off the front as I had to drill lock and it doesn't close right.  Also coin drawer metal poles are missing .

Have you done much with ur cab .

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 01:41:54 pm »
Cash cube could be converted to a multi Naomi pretty easily. Naomi1 mobos are a dime a dozen, but you could snag a naomi2 mobo if you love virtua fighter 4.  Get a netdimm and you've got a cab that can play all the Naomi and Atomiswave games without emulation. I wouldn't bother with the first cab.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 02:55:52 pm »
I'm looking in to getting a net DIMM and a naomi 2 mobo .

The pool machine I'm gonna use the marquee  as a lcd one and I'm thinking of shorting the front and make/buy a gauntlet style cp.

I've bought it now so I'll do something with it . I can't find any python games for it.. it's based on ps2 hardware.

Monitors in good condition and mech works .

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 03:31:14 pm »
Thanks big10p. 

The monitor flashes a bit . So gonna try something on it to see if it's the.monitor or connecting to naomi.

I'm wondering if I can connect pc to it to check the monitor . Either using vga card or arcade vga.

Also I'm taking the big metal front door off the front as I had to drill lock and it doesn't close right.  Also coin drawer metal poles are missing .

Have you done much with ur cab .
Coin drawer metal poles?

Should be able connect a pc to the monitor as it's VGA/31khz. Don't know what max res it can do, though.

I also took the metal security door off mine, and binned it. Other things I've done:
- Replaced monitor with a de-cased PC CRT. Now has an excellent, burn-free image.
- Installed a net DIMM so I can play the full version of Pool (couldn't find anyone selling a cart of the game).
- Fitted the extra CP buttons needed to play the full version of Shootout Pool.
- Built and installed a UPS system to replace the crappy battery in the net DIMM. This means the game stays loaded on the net DIMM when it's switched off. Also means all high scores/settings/ranking tables are saved.
- Removed: the hopper (sold it), 2 PSUs that power the hopper board and hopper, all unneeded wiring.
- Replaced marquee light with an LED one.
- Replaced because they became faulty: 1 x Naomi motherboard, 1 x sound amp, a few I/O boards because they are always going faulty (fixed current one, though)

Think that's everything.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 04:18:44 pm »
Mine has burn in screen as well . I was trying to find a 19 inch pc monitor or even tv .

Yeah on the door where cash is. It uses two rods to keep it secure . Ones missing . So im either gonna get a locking mech or I will take the internal door off and for a bit of plywood and paint it .

Saw a net DIMM on ebay that I will. Bid on .

When the system switches on it shows the Naomi  logo but it's slow .

Does the trackball work on pc .

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:20:19 pm by G1zm0 »

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 04:54:49 pm »
My Naomi developed the slow motion fault, too. One of the RAM chips went bad, also. No idea about connecting the trackball to a PC, TBH.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 04:58:36 pm »
70 for the pair is a great price, if even a couple things work on them then you will have made out great.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 04:59:45 pm »
Your gf is smarter than you. Listen to her. Your ideas for these machines are terrible.
Where's that rep button?!?!   :laugh2:
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 05:18:36 pm »
Lol guys .

Big 10 . How's your control panel  made up.  Where did u get it ..
Have u a pic

I did a rom check on the test menu and says there ok.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 05:20:32 pm »
70 for the pair is a great price, if even a couple things work on them then you will have made out great.

I ended up getting them for 50 . Found 20 pounds of coin in the cabs

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 06:06:35 pm »
Lol guys .

Big 10 . How's your control panel  made up.  Where did u get it ..
Have u a pic

I did a rom check on the test menu and says there ok.
It's the original CP. I just cut holes in it (using a qmax punch) for the additional buttons.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 08:22:27 pm »
Are you saying the machines have no conversion potential ?.

The bottom one looks like it could pass as a Tekken 3 cab. Otherwise I don't see too much conversion potential. But as Paige said above, I like the purchase! Parts could come in handy!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 09:33:42 pm »
Bottom one could be a great machine without even doing much anything to it. You can get a lot of gaming done with just a trackball.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2018, 01:22:42 am »
I will  put few buttons on it.. Maby down line put pc in it . Run games that are hi res . Atomiswave. Naomi. Ect

What other coin mech would fit in this machine . Using the same hangers . It's a sr5 coin controls
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:15:58 am by G1zm0 »