Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MicroSD Transfer  (Read 4068 times)

Brandon101884

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2020, 03:06:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MicroSD Transfer
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:36 am »
I bought a preloaded plug and play MicroSD card and wanted to know if it was possible to duplicate this card before I try to and screw it up. I’m pretty much more than half retarded when it comes to this stuff, which is why I bought a plug and play card.

What started this was the new Pi 3 B+. I tried to play the card and it didn’t work, the whole noobs update got me. Anyway, I was hoping to duplicate the card so all I would have to do is plug and play, like the original. Then, I wanted to try an update the noobs so it would play on the new Pie.

Anyone done this?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: MicroSD Transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:51:18 am »
You bought it from a vendor that is illegally selling other people's work to make a quick buck -- So go back to that seller and make him update the card so it works as advertised or get a refund - Figure it's his product and he is the one profiting off of it so he should be the one providing support for it !!

Can't really expect others to provide support for someone selling something that is not authorized or Legal to sell - Since we do not know how the image was setup - what may have been changed - what other programs/viruses/malware may have also been included in the image etc.  :dunno

In the long run you'd be much safer and learn more by just downloading the current retropie program and making your own image from the get go - that's the only way you are going to know what has been used and how to troubleshoot any issues that come up down the road - It's not that difficult and if you are going to be using it you might as well learn how !

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:57:23 am by JDFan »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:51:41 am »
You can use win32DiskImager (free download) to make a copy of the card's image onto your hard drive. You can then use the same program to burn the image onto a new card.
I have found that all cards are not the same, one that says it is 32 GB may not be quite 32 GB, so sometimes you get a "insufficient space" error when burning to supposedly the same size card.
If this happens, you can go to the next size bigger card to burn the image to.

Read up on how to use the win32diskimager, if you are not careful, you could wipe out the card you are trying to copy, since this program does both copy and burn.

And I agree with JDFan. Dont copy illegally, however, IMHO, making a backup copy FOR YOUR OWN USE, is ok in my book, since there is a chance the SDCard could get plastered and you will need to restore it.
It's kinda like making a backup of your PC's hard drive.

As far as the guy you bought it from selling illegally copied roms, thats a whole different matter.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:56:13 am by DaOld Man »

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:37:19 pm »
As far as I'm aware the rpi3+ isn't supported yet for frontends like retropi and recalbox.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:56:23 pm »
As far as I'm aware the rpi3+ isn't supported yet for frontends like retropi and recalbox.

When it first released there was a Beta version that worked (it requires a new Stretch based engine rather than Jessie so it is best to start over from scratch rather than trying to update from older vesions - which is where the problem comes in with old images like the one the OP purchased.)

RetroPie 4.4 is out, bringing with it Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ support via our new Raspbian Stretch based images. Raspbian Jessie is no longer receiving firmware and kernel updates, so the move to the new version was required.

For RPI users it is recommended to start from a fresh image with this update. It is possible to upgrade the system from Jessie to Stretch but there have been reports of issues by some people when doing so.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:03:22 pm »
You bought it from a vendor that is illegally selling other people's work to make a quick buck -- So go back to that seller and make him update the card so it works as advertised or get a refund - Figure it's his product and he is the one profiting off of it so he should be the one providing support for it !!

Can't really expect others to provide support for someone selling something that is not authorized or Legal to sell - Since we do not know how the image was setup - what may have been changed - what other programs/viruses/malware may have also been included in the image etc.  :dunno

In the long run you'd be much safer and learn more by just downloading the current retropie program and making your own image from the get go - that's the only way you are going to know what has been used and how to troubleshoot any issues that come up down the road - It's not that difficult and if you are going to be using it you might as well learn how !
Who says he bought something from a vendor that is illegally selling other people's work?? Preloaded doesn't mean that. And he is referring to NOOBS...

The latest RetroPie is. I'm running it as we speak.

I bought a preloaded plug and play MicroSD card and wanted to know if it was possible to duplicate this card before I try to and screw it up. I’m pretty much more than half retarded when it comes to this stuff, which is why I bought a plug and play card.

What started this was the new Pi 3 B+. I tried to play the card and it didn’t work, the whole noobs update got me. Anyway, I was hoping to duplicate the card so all I would have to do is plug and play, like the original. Then, I wanted to try an update the noobs so it would play on the new Pie.

Anyone done this?
To duplicate an SD do what DaOldMan says. But I would suggest to go to https://retropie.org.uk/download and download the image there. Then use Win32DiskImager to write it to your SD card. Then insert it in your Pi and go from there. Pretty much plug&play.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:40:24 pm »
Who says he bought something from a vendor that is illegally selling other people's work?? Preloaded doesn't mean that. And he is referring to NOOBS...

He says he bought a SD card preloaded with the emulator and games that is plug and play - that would mean he purchased an SD card that has Retropie installed along with the roms etc. which is against the retropie terms of service which would mean selling other people's work without their permission in order to make a profit - I'm not so much against the OP doing this to play the games but against the person doing the selling for a profit when all of this stuff is available for FREE - so why not just make your own image and if you feel like paying then Donate to the retropie developers !

All I am saying is if someone is selling this type of thing then they should also be the ones providing support to those that purchase them since they are the ones getting paid and if they do not provide support or sell old images that no longer work with the new hardware, then the buyer should insist on a refund.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:42:02 pm by JDFan »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:29 am »

He says he bought a SD card preloaded with the emulator and games that is plug and play - that would mean he purchased an SD card that has Retropie installed along with the roms etc. which is against the retropie terms of service which would mean selling other people's work without their permission in order to make a profit - I'm not so much against the OP doing this to play the games but against the person doing the selling for a profit when all of this stuff is available for FREE - so why not just make your own image and if you feel like paying then Donate to the retropie developers !

All I am saying is if someone is selling this type of thing then they should also be the ones providing support to those that purchase them since they are the ones getting paid and if they do not provide support or sell old images that no longer work with the new hardware, then the buyer should insist on a refund.

Actually, he says:
I bought a preloaded plug and play MicroSD card

And he mentions NOOBS. He doesn't mentions emulators or roms as far as I can see. There are tons of plug&play SD cards preloaded with NOOBS. Nothing illegal or weird about that. For example: https://thepihut.com/products/noobs-preinstalled-sd-card

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:01 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:54:48 am »
"Illegal."

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:applaud: