Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Stereo question: combine left and right into 1 center channel?  (Read 1302 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
I have a receiver that has your typical Left and Right outputs. I want to combine those two into a single output to run to 1 speaker. The speaker can handle it (watts wise). I tried twisting the R+ and L+ connections together and wiring it directly to the speaker. It works at low volume, but the receiver turns off if it's turned up. The error on the receiver when turned back on says "Check SP". I checked all the speaker cabling and it appears fine. When I hook everything to either the R or L, everything works fine. It's only when I combine them.

I'm wondering if I need something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CSI-Speco-TSM-30-Stereo-to-Mono-Mixer-converter-adaptor-left-right-to-1-speaker/253565901521?hash=item3b09b49ad1:g:3A0AAOSwNSZa1On0

I've done this before without issue, I'm not sure if this particular receiver (Yamaha R-S202) doesn't like it for some reason.

Any ideas?

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: Stereo question: combine left and right into 1 center channel?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:33:41 am »
Set the receiver to Mono and only hook up one connection. No reason to use both.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:49:05 am »
... probably because you are shorting the output of the amp by twisting the wires together?

typically an amp that is bridgeable requires you attach the positive of the speaker to the positive of one channel (typically left channel) and the negative of the speaker to the negative of the other channel (typically right channel) but this highly depends on the amp being able to be bridged in the first place.

a quick glance at this units owners guide does not say that this amp is configurable in this fashion.

your output transformer idea would work in a low power situation but not at the high outputs of this receiver. This type of transformer also will introduce significant distortion should the 2 input channels not match up exactly.

for what it's worth, throw that in the trash. you can get a professional rack amp about 10x the performance of that yamaha using only half of it... for under 150 dollars. (even less in USA)

https://www.amazon.ca/Pyle-Pro-19-Inch-Professional-Amplifier-PQA2100/dp/B004HJ7FCQ

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:50:18 am »
Yep, no workaround here.  You either need a mono amp or a dual voice coil speaker.

I'm assuming you're using all the nifty bluetooth connectivity and such on the receiver, so getting a second speaker is probably the way to go.
You mentioned the speaker could handle the wattage, so I'm assuming we aren't talking about a little DVC ceiling speaker like I have in my bathroom.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:35:44 pm »
Appreciate all the input. I checked and the receiver had a mono mode. Setting it to that got me what I needed. Woohoo.

Yeah, it's a bit ghetto, but it works for me.