Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Upgrade a Gameroom Classics SNK bartop  (Read 5665 times)

mprivi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2018, 02:13:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade
Upgrade a Gameroom Classics SNK bartop
« on: May 15, 2018, 03:19:32 pm »
Hi! I just grabbed a SNK Gameroom Classics bartop. It's wired with JAMMA, but the power supply is missing the -5 and 12 volt as there are no wires coming from the harness in those slots. I am trying to add either a pi3 to the cabinet or a MVS with muti cart. However I'm unsure of how the power supply will need to be wired. I've seen some people on here seem to have done it but was years ago and don't seem to be active. Any help that this community has will be grateful.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:59:19 pm by mprivi »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Upgrade a Gameroom Classics SNK bartop
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:14:24 pm »
Don't ruin that thing. It is quite a desirable piece unmodified. Don't turn a desirable dedicated game like that into another raspberry pi crapcade. Just start over if you want a pretend arcade game that people will laugh at, don't ruin a good one.

You will have to replace the power supply with a standard one. You might be able to add the wires to the harness for the other power connections (you normally can, but I don't want to promise it without a closeup of the edge connector), otherwise you will need a new harness.

The normal sized Neo geo motherboards will never fit in that cabinet, the compact one MIGHT fit, if you move the monitor board and the power supply from the bottom to the sides.

The various FPGA boards by Jrok should work well in this cabinet if you want something that will plug in and not ruin it.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

mprivi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »
Don't ruin that thing. It is quite a desirable piece unmodified. Don't turn a desirable dedicated game like that into another raspberry pi crapcade. Just start over if you want a pretend arcade game that people will laugh at, don't ruin a good one.

You will have to replace the power supply with a standard one. You might be able to add the wires to the harness for the other power connections (you normally can, but I don't want to promise it without a closeup of the edge connector), otherwise you will need a new harness.

The normal sized Neo geo motherboards will never fit in that cabinet, the compact one MIGHT fit, if you move the monitor board and the power supply from the bottom to the sides.

The various FPGA boards by Jrok should work well in this cabinet if you want something that will plug in and not ruin it.

thanks for the info. I'm not even sure what these go for these days. I wanted a way to get more games in it instead of just the 6. I was hoping for a way i can do it with out gutting the cabinet. I would love to keep the cabinet the way it is and just add the components i need and be able to revert back to the stock system. I have a spare Pandora 4S+ board laying around but It isn't just a plug and play i heard.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:29:37 pm by mprivi »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 06:39:47 pm »
Ok, looking at that connector it looks like it is an easy soldering job to add the other power wires.

19 in 1 will work in this except for Stargate/Defender, which can be turned off.
Jrok's Taito board would work great in it.
There are also a lot of smaller real jamma boards that will fit. Magical Tetris with Mickey Mouse is pretty good and often shows up cheap.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:14:15 pm »
Isn't that a Hanaho licenced Taito multi board in there? They sell for good money.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 07:27:46 pm »
Isn't that a Hanaho licenced Taito multi board in there? They sell for good money.
It's the licensed SNK 6-in-1 board.

Same PCB as the Taito 10-in-1 and 20-in-1 with different files on the SD card.

Scott

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 07:30:39 pm »
It's the licensed SNK 6-in-1 board.

Same PCB as the Taito 10-in-1 and 20-in-1 with different files on the SD card.

Scott
Ah, right. Wondered why it was playing Neo-Geo games. I didn't realize they did an SNK version.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:28:07 pm »
PErhaps the ARpicade board -- https://www.multiboards.us/arpicade-raspberry-pi-jamma-adapter.html

ArPiCade is a Raspberry Pi JAMMA adaptor that converts a RPi into a true JAMMA board, intended for you to do whatever it is you want with. No modification to your JAMMA cab is required (unless you want to add a kick harness). It can be configured for normal JAMMA (w/ optional kick harness) or for 6 buttons on JAMMA via dipswitches. Video out is RGBS on JAMMA or can be reconfigured to output higher resolutions through VGA.
:dunno
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:29:57 pm by JDFan »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:26:55 pm »
Yeah, I'd sell it for good money and buy a Haruman's customs kit.  You will break even and have a really nice custom cab to boot.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

mprivi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:03:38 pm »
Yeah, I'd sell it for good money and buy a Haruman's customs kit.  You will break even and have a really nice custom cab to boot.

DeL

I'm thinking about it, just can't find a market value on these units. I tried joining the Neo Geo forum but got denied for some reason. Its just a user id and password.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 01:07:26 pm »
Ask around on the Facebook groups.  There are some good ones out there like Arcade-Classics.  Type in Arcade and you'll see a bunch pop up.  Some may even be in your area.

There's also a section on KLOV forums for asking value of stuff.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 01:24:56 pm »

DeL

I'm thinking about it, just can't find a market value on these units. I tried joining the Neo Geo forum but got denied for some reason. Its just a user id and password.
The admins there are total tossers. I got an email revoking my membersip, for no apparent reason. I was all broken up.  :lol

Anyway, don't know if it helps, but a Taito version sold on a UK arcade forum recently, for £260 (about $350).

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 01:35:47 pm »
Any reason he can't just get one of those $50 multiboards with a JAMMA pinout and slap that in there? 

mprivi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »
Any reason he can't just get one of those $50 multiboards with a JAMMA pinout and slap that in there?

I think it has something to do with the power supply. I do have a pandora 4s+ sitting around I haven't tried plugging it in.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »
The admins there are total tossers. I got an email revoking my membersip, for no apparent reason. I was all broken up.  :lol
They may be tossers, but they do give a crap about their community base and site operations, a lot more than I can say about here. How long has the wiki been down again? How many thread locks have their been on this site that knee jerk reactions to people getting into arguments?  (too many). 

I have memberships on several forums, and neo geo is one of the forums I frequent. I like it over there, and if you know how the vibe is and how the community works, it's a good place for the hobby. I've met many people from that forum IRL, just as I've done here and have great interactions with their members.

Everywhere has it's "culture", and you just got to know how to play within it.  If you're going into these forums thinking they need to change for you, then you're better off avoiding those sites.