Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I wire an LED Control Panel over 32 buttons?  (Read 5890 times)

obizues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
How do I wire an LED Control Panel over 32 buttons?
« on: May 12, 2018, 10:13:32 pm »
First and foremost, I have never wired a CP before.  Second, based on what I’ve read and been told, most controllers are made for 32 buttons max.

I want to make a 38 button CP with 5 joysticks.  I want my setup to work with LEDBlinky. The 5th joystick is a 4-way stick for old-school gameplay. The 3 and 4-player only have 4 buttons, whilst the 1 and 2 player have 8 buttons each.

Thanks!

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: How do I wire an LED Control Panel over 32 buttons?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 11:17:42 pm »
Multiple LED controllers.
%Bartop

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 11:23:48 pm »
Multiple LED controllers.
Is there a most cost-effective solution for 38?  Or 32+ 6?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 11:30:08 pm »
There's always going the non-LED route... That'll save you a boatload of cash.
%Bartop

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:31:54 pm »
There's always going the non-LED route... That'll save you a boatload of cash.

Thank you for your input, but my question is based on a decision to have LED. 

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:40:24 pm »
LEDs are going to cost a lot. Especially if you are unable to build your own harnesses or solder your own LEDs to save a few cents here an there...

There are other ways to save on costs as well... Going single color instead of RGB will GREATLY reduce your costs. But if you want the colors to change based on game selection, you'll have to have a fair amount of RGBs. 38 buttons x 3 colors = 114 individual outputs for controllers... That'd be 2 PACLED64s or 4 LED-Wizs or however many of whatever other controller combos you put together based on your current (amperage) needs.

I've wired up a 4 player set up with more LEDs than you're asking about, and unless you really love wiring ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up, like REALLY love it... you may want to reconsider before you spend money on this.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:48:42 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 12:37:11 am »
Neph’s not being facetious, he wrote the book on wiring up LEDs. I learned how to do it from him, Chance learned how to do it from him.... He’s giving you something to think about.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 09:36:09 am »
This will end badly. Nobody ever listens. For some reason it has become fashionable to light up your arcade machine like a Christmas tree.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:44:21 am »
LEDs are going to cost a lot. Especially if you are unable to build your own harnesses or solder your own LEDs to save a few cents here an there...

It sounds like I’m saying something wrong then, because I do want to go single color. My goal was single color concave buttons, and this was the path I was led down. Based on your reaction, I’m guessing there is an easier/cheaper way to do this.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 10:01:44 am »

It sounds like I’m saying something wrong then, because I do want to go single color. My goal was single color concave buttons, and this was the path I was led down. Based on your reaction, I’m guessing there is an easier/cheaper way to do this.

Neph was saying you would need alot of outputs for RGB (3 colour LEDs).
For single colour LEDs you need as many outputs as you have LEDs you want to illuminate.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:55 am »
For single colour LEDs you need as many outputs as you have LEDs you want to illuminate.

So I guess this goes back to my initial question, but rephrased for clarity... how do I go about wiring up single color LED buttons so they have color output and function as buttons?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 10:10:52 am »

And you'll find that many buttons will be lit at the same time, since you're going single color, you can tie multiple LEDs to the same outputs (staying within current limitations). And if you do this, you can probably use an inexpensive controller. Sorry man... LEDs + LEDBlinky usually means the user is going the RGB route...
%Bartop

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 10:11:02 am »

So I guess this goes back to my initial question, but rephrased for clarity... how do I go about wiring up single color LED buttons so they have color output and function as buttons?

The easiest way is to buy LED buttons such as the UltraLux or Ice buttons, With the Colour of LED’s of your choosing and harnesses then wiring them up to the appropriate sized PSU.

If you want any effects like flashing etc you will need a controller board.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:57 am »
So to reset fully:

I would like to have 38 buttons and 5 arcade sticks which illuminate (based on if the game uses them with LEDBlinky if not super expensive.).

I assume that means each button needs to be wired separately.  My confusion is how to wire them up and what things I need to buy.

What do I need to do to wire them for actual control?  IE: I-Pac, PacLED, etc. I don’t know which. Instructions on how to get them to work is also needed. I have never done this before.

Separately, but related, how do I wire up the LED button to emit color?  I would like this part to be able to work with LED blinky so when I play X game, only the buttons used by X game will be illuminated.  I’m not sure from a power or control perspective if this is possible, how much extra work/cost it is. If it is too much work/cost I’m okay with just making sure the buttons are lit all the time when the machine is on.

Basically, if I want to buy a button and a stick to test illumination and controls for what I’m going to try and do, what should I buy, and how do I hook it up so I can add the rest of the 4 sticks and 37 buttons once I’m comfortable and have the CP cut out and ready to be wired?

Does that make sense?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 10:38:42 am »
In that case you will need a controller like the pac led 64 and and LED buttons.

If you buy a pac led 64 and ultralux buttons they are plug and play.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 10:38:57 am »
The shortcut you're looking for doesn't exist. You have a TON of reading ahead of you.

http://www.ledblinky.net/Install.htm

http://groovygamegear.com/PDF/LEDWIZv2_INSTALL.pdf

http://ultimarc.com/pacled64.html

There is no "plug and play" solution that you seem to be fishing for... Sorry Titch... LEDBlinky keeps this from being plug and play.
%Bartop

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 10:42:54 am »
Separately, but related, how do I wire up the LED button to emit color? 

And it's stuff like this, that makes me think you still want RGB LEDs... Single color LEDs emit their color when turned on... RGB LEDs can change to any color...
%Bartop

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:29 am »
The shortcut you're looking for doesn't exist. You have a TON of reading ahead of you.

There is no "plug and play" solution that you seem to be fishing for... Sorry Titch... LEDBlinky keeps this from being plug and play.
So it sounds like I should take a step back from LEDBlinky.

Taking LEDBlinky out of the equation, what do I need to do/purchase to create the 38 button 5 stick solution?

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 10:44:40 am »
And it's stuff like this, that makes me think you still want RGB LEDs... Single color LEDs emit their color when turned on... RGB LEDs can change to any color...

I will want it to emit blue or white depending on how my art turns out permanently. I will never want the color to change when I install my buttons.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 10:52:47 am »
Ok... The least inexpensive way you can do what you want (single color, only on for active buttons) is like this...

Use the cheap convex LED buttons in the color of your choice.
Use an LED-Wiz (unless there is a cheaper alternative out now that I'm unaware of).
Tie button LEDs and joystick LEDs that will always be on at the same time to the same outputs of the LED-Wiz (like the start button and joystick for instance, or start and button 1, etc).
LEDBlinky will have a slight learning curve, but since you won't be doing custom colors or animations, you should be able to get over this hurdle easily.

Edit to add: You'll save about $45 (the LED-Wiz) by not using LEDBlinky. You could wire your LEDs up to a power supply to be always on.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:55:19 am by Nephasth »
%Bartop

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 11:03:47 am »
Ok... The least inexpensive way you can do what you want (single color, only on for active buttons) is like this...

Use the cheap convex LED buttons in the color of your choice.
Use an LED-Wiz (unless there is a cheaper alternative out now that I'm unaware of).
Tie button LEDs and joystick LEDs that will always be on at the same time to the same outputs of the LED-Wiz (like the start button and joystick for instance, or start and button 1, etc).
LEDBlinky will have a slight learning curve, but since you won't be doing custom colors or animations, you should be able to get over this hurdle easily.

Edit to add: You'll save about $45 (the LED-Wiz) by not using LEDBlinky. You could wire your LEDs up to a power supply to be always on.
How many inputs does the LED-wiz support?

For example, 6 buttons of my main controls will always be on. So I’m guessing I could wire those to a power supply. The 8 buttons for P1 and P2 and 2 sticks would not always be on, nor the sticks and 4 buttons for P3 and P4.  P1 start and select would always be lit (I think) but not for P2, P3, P4.

So I count 9 for P1 and P2 each (total 18), 5 for P3 and P4 each (total 10), plus 2 for P2, P3, P4 each (total 6), for a grand total of 34. Is that correct?

Which leads me again to, how many does the LED-Wiz support?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 11:13:17 am »
At the risk of sounding like an ---uvula---... I really wish you would have read the links I posted earlier.

The LED-Wiz supports 32 INDIVIDUAL outputs. If you tie your duplicate "on" LEDs to the same outputs, you'll be able to use the LED-Wiz with no problems. If you wire all your LEDs up individually, the LED-Wiz won't have enough outputs. But remember, you asked for the most cost effect solution. For an extra $15 you can go the PACLED64 route... and you'll have plenty of empty outputs left over.

Go check out other people's projects using LEDs. You'll find a lot of helpful hints and pictures in the project threads.
%Bartop

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 01:27:22 pm »
At the risk of sounding like an ---uvula---... I really wish you would have read the links I posted earlier.

I did read them but I misread the diagram on the LED-Wiz and was looking at the multiple instead of single, hence my confusion.

If you tie your duplicate "on" LEDs to the same outputs, you'll be able to use the LED-Wiz with no problems.

This is where I'm confused again.  You are suggesting I have duplicate "on" LED's left even though my math suggests I need 34:

For example, 6 buttons of my main controls will always be on. So I’m guessing I could wire those to a power supply. The 8 buttons for P1 and P2 and 2 sticks would not always be on, nor the sticks and 4 buttons for P3 and P4.  P1 start and select would always be lit (I think) but not for P2, P3, P4.

So I count 9 for P1 and P2 each (total 18), 5 for P3 and P4 each (total 10), plus 2 for P2, P3, P4 each (total 6), for a grand total of 34. Is that correct?

Is that incorrect?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
How do I wire an LED Control Panel over 32 buttons?
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 01:45:02 pm »
Here, I’ll keep it simple. You’re going to need to run four wires to each button. Two will be hooked up to Your keyboard encoder, your other two to your LED device. You can buy some devices that do both, others prefer to keep it separate. You mentioned wiring the always on buttons to your power supply, that will definitely reduce the number of connections need to make to the LED device.

That should get you started.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 01:50:28 pm »
Depends on how creative you want to get with it... If you think about it... A game that uses 6 action buttons, is also a 2 player game... So in theory you could tie buttons P1B5, P1B6, P2B5, and P2B6 all to the same output, since they'll always be on at the same time... Reducing your output needs by 3, and this is just one example.
%Bartop

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »
You can buy some devices that do both, others prefer to keep it separate.
Which devices do both?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 04:10:59 pm »

http://www.ledblinky.net/Install.htm

http://groovygamegear.com/PDF/LEDWIZv2_INSTALL.pdf

http://ultimarc.com/pacled64.html

It is plug and play, Plug it in and turn on and it will work.

On the software side no its not, But hes asking about wiring not programming controllers or specific blinky questions.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 04:30:17 pm »
Separate question, does it make sense to buy an iPac ^4, and then have to buy a controller for the trackball/spinner?  Or should I just buy a I-PAC Ultimate.. and I (assume) I can just hook everything into this one controller?  Also, if I did single color LED buttons I would have more than enough spaces as well for my 30-something buttons and controllers that I could hook into LEDBlinky.

Also, just to ask, If I used the ultimate and it has 92 LED channels built in, that would cover 30 RGB LED buttons by itself, so I would just need to add a smaller LED controller to make everything RGB if I wanted to do that some day. Right?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 02:16:12 am »
Separate question, does it make sense to buy an iPac ^4, and then have to buy a controller for the trackball/spinner?  Or should I just buy a I-PAC Ultimate.. and I (assume) I can just hook everything into this one controller?  Also, if I did single color LED buttons I would have more than enough spaces as well for my 30-something buttons and controllers that I could hook into LEDBlinky.

Also, just to ask, If I used the ultimate and it has 92 LED channels built in, that would cover 30 RGB LED buttons by itself, so I would just need to add a smaller LED controller to make everything RGB if I wanted to do that some day. Right?

No it makes no sense to buy Ipac 4,  Go for the Ultimate and wire accordingly.  (You can share RGB connections for both P3 and P4 to reduce the amount of connections required thus allowing you to use RGB all around). I know not of any 3 player games that would be playable on a standard control panel. 

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 12:08:49 pm »
No it makes no sense to buy Ipac 4,  Go for the Ultimate and wire accordingly.  (You can share RGB connections for both P3 and P4 to reduce the amount of connections required thus allowing you to use RGB all around). I know not of any 3 player games that would be playable on a standard control panel.
That's what I figured, but I assume there are wire length problems that wouldn't allow me to hook up the furthest left and right buttons onto the same controller.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 08:06:22 am »
That's what I figured, but I assume there are wire length problems that wouldn't allow me to hook up the furthest left and right buttons onto the same controller.

Nope you shouldn't have any problems, take a wire to a central point and then split into 2 from there.

Thanks. 

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 10:16:07 pm »

Nope you shouldn't have any problems, take a wire to a central point and then split into 2 from there.

Thanks.
That only works with buttons that can be controlled all together and single color though, right?

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 01:38:59 am »
I would recommend listing out all your controls you are planning on putting in your control panel. People here could help you narrow down the list. You probably are including some things you think you need but you don't.