Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Noob needs some help.  (Read 1037 times)

MikeCamp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2018, 12:26:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Noob needs some help.
« on: May 12, 2018, 10:05:12 pm »
Hello all, first post on here.  Been doing slot machines over on NewLifeGames but decided I wanted to try my hand at some classic arcade type games.  Building a control board for a small cabinet.  Not knowing what I'm doing I ordered the cheap button/Joystick and USB controllers off of Amazon.  Wanted to play centipede so I ordered a groovy trackball off of GGG.  Guess I did not understand the configuration correctly and just ordered the trackball thinking it would include a USB form of connection, WRONG!  So here is a picture of what I have, is there a way to make this work?  Pretty good when it comes to woodworking, not so good when it comes to wiring electronics.

I've combed thru the site here and did not see anything that appeared to answer this question, if so then I'm sorry for repeating...
Just looking to build a little arcade to play some oldies like pacman, centipede, missile command.  Not looking for complete accuracy just a fun experience.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:38:53 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Noob needs some help.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:10:46 am »
So here is a picture of what I have, is there a way to make this work?
Welcome aboard, MikeCamp.   ;D

For a trackball, you need an optical (mouse) encoder to translate the quadrature waveforms from the trackball optical boards into mouse movements.

A GGG  Opti-Wiz™ "No-Solder" USB optical encoder will work perfectly with your trackball and harness.

Wire colors/functions of your harness will match those in this photo.

If an axis is reversed, swap the data lines.
i.e. If moving the trackball right moves the cursor left, swap the blue and purple wires. (X-axis data lines)

The FAQ (backup copy here) is a great resource to help you get started on building a cab.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:24:59 am by PL1 »

MikeCamp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2018, 12:26:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Noob needs some help.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:47:57 am »
Thank you, I was afraid I misunderstood and forgot to order a needed part.  Your post confirmed it, sadly it appears the Opti-Wiz is currently out of stock  :(

Thanks again for the help and that link to the FAQ, great info.

Mike
Just looking to build a little arcade to play some oldies like pacman, centipede, missile command.  Not looking for complete accuracy just a fun experience.