Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo Vs. Sky Kid Monitor Saturation  (Read 1616 times)

Nightowljrm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2018, 12:10:30 pm
Nintendo Vs. Sky Kid Monitor Saturation
« on: May 10, 2018, 10:42:13 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm very much a novice when it comes to working on arcades, so bear with me. About a year ago, I picked up Vs. Sky Kid. It's fully functional except the saturation of the colors is constantly wrong. I use the knobs on the back of the monitor and no matter what I do, it remains too dark.

Any idea on what the problem is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

I can provide pictures when I return from work if need be.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
Re: Nintendo Vs. Sky Kid Monitor Saturation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:15:54 pm »
I assume the monitor is a Sanyo 20EZ. That's the monitor that came in most Nintendo upright arcade games.

A picture of the screen would really help us understand what the issue might be.

But if I had to take a stab at it...I'd say you are definitely in need of a cap kit if you haven't already done one. The capacitors on that chassis are 35 years old and must be replaced. If that doesn't fix it then I'd turn my attention towards the flyback.

HOWEVER, this is assuming you have already tried adjusting the following:

- Brightness pot on the remote board
- Sub-brightness on the center of the chassis (careful with this one while the monitor is on)
- Screen pot on the flyback itself.

It would also be a good idea to make sure you B+ is set to 108VDC. THIS IS A MUST! SUPER IMPORTANT

Again, Sanyo Flybacks are relatively reliable so don't worry about that until last.

Also, you MUST watch Buffett's video on calibrating a Sanyo. It will teach you alot about how the colors work and what to adjust and in what order. Also how to adjust the B+

Roll up your sleeves...you are going to need to become familiar with everything on this chassis.  :)

Just a little hard to make an assessment without pictures of everything first.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Nightowljrm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2018, 12:10:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:58:45 am »
I assume the monitor is a Sanyo 20EZ. That's the monitor that came in most Nintendo upright arcade games.

A picture of the screen would really help us understand what the issue might be.

But if I had to take a stab at it...I'd say you are definitely in need of a cap kit if you haven't already done one. The capacitors on that chassis are 35 years old and must be replaced. If that doesn't fix it then I'd turn my attention towards the flyback.

HOWEVER, this is assuming you have already tried adjusting the following:

- Brightness pot on the remote board
- Sub-brightness on the center of the chassis (careful with this one while the monitor is on)
- Screen pot on the flyback itself.

It would also be a good idea to make sure you B+ is set to 108VDC. THIS IS A MUST! SUPER IMPORTANT

Again, Sanyo Flybacks are relatively reliable so don't worry about that until last.

Also, you MUST watch Buffett's video on calibrating a Sanyo. It will teach you alot about how the colors work and what to adjust and in what order. Also how to adjust the B+

Roll up your sleeves...you are going to need to become familiar with everything on this chassis.  :)

Just a little hard to make an assessment without pictures of everything first.

Thanks for the detailed response! Yesterday ended up being much busier than I anticipated, so I didn't get an opportunity to take pictures. I'll be able to do that today (TGIF).

In the meantime, I'll watch that video.

Thanks! I'll post again in ~5 hours or so.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:46 pm »
No worries. Happy to help if I can.

I am by no means an expert...but I own 4 Nintendo cabinets with the 20EZ and I have rebuilt all of them. I can probably at least get you pointed in the right direction.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.