Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SNK Neo Geo Mini is coming.  (Read 3969 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
SNK Neo Geo Mini is coming.
« on: May 10, 2018, 08:49:32 am »
Looks pretty cool.  Also looks really tiny and uncomfortable to play!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: SNK Neo Geo Mini is coming.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:06 am »
Looks like they were trying to make it do to many things - Having that tiny 3.5" screen and keeping it mini size so the buttons and joystick are unuseable. Would have been better off going the route NIntendo took and making it just a console rather than having the screen at all - so at least they could have spaced the buttons out in a normal layout. Hopefully you can hook it up to a normal controller and the ports aren't just for multi player play - where the first player is stuck using the internal buttons/joystick when connecting to a TV.

acvieluf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 03:07:12 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:14:48 am »
Is it just me, or does that joystick look detachable?  That would make a TON of sense, at least.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
Looks cool, but too small to actually use. They will not make money on a novelty item. Can buy those pac and Galaga mini arcades for $40 at some places, and $5 when they don’t sell any of them.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 02:25:26 pm »
Has HDMI out and inputs for controllers, so you're not limited to playing on the tiny screen with the tiny controls.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 05:07:29 pm »
Pretty cool.  Holding back enthusiasm until price is revealed.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 05:12:55 pm »

$599

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:41:59 pm »

$599

I don't think it will be that high. you could just buy a original PCB and a multi cart for a lot less.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 08:50:17 pm »

$599

I don't think it will be that high. you could just buy a original PCB and a multi cart for a lot less.

Most of the press releases are saying they are aiming toward the $100 price point but have not confirmed that yet.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 09:22:35 pm »

$599

Most of the press releases are saying they are aiming toward the $100 price point but have not confirmed that yet.

They could probably scrap the mini arcade idea, just have a box that connects to TVs and accepts Bluetooth controllers, charge $100, and sell more of them. As much as I dislike the nes mini for not having composite video, and short @ss controller cords, they did alright. People not even into retro video games have mentioned it to me.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 11:30:08 am »

$599

There's a MVS joke in here somewhere... but I think it was $649 at launch.  In 1990!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:50 pm »
Playing all the Neo Geo games was one of the things that really got me when I discovered emulators.
I used to look at the AES advertisements in game magazines knowing that there was no way in hell I'd ever be able to afford one (or any of the games to go with it).
20 years later....well you know.

acvieluf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 03:07:12 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 01:12:21 pm »
Playing all the Neo Geo games was one of the things that really got me when I discovered emulators.
I used to look at the AES advertisements in game magazines knowing that there was no way in hell I'd ever be able to afford one (or any of the games to go with it).
20 years later....well you know.

That's actually how I discovered this forum. I wanted to start emulating neo geo games, and Google searches kept bringing me here!  :cheers:

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »
NeoRAGEx was the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, man.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 01:30:44 pm »

Do you remember swapping rom names and stuff to make it play more than just Nam-1975 ?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 01:31:54 pm »
Re: NeorageX, If by the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, you mean just ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, yeah.

I think people forget just how bad it was just because it was popular and fast and a lot of the dirty side of things were hidden from the public.  It ended up being a burden on emulation for a long time, people hacking roms just to work with it, not even disclosing that they were hacked etc. took until maybe 2-3 years ago for MAME to actually clean up the mess it made.  (wouldn't surprise me if we're not quite there yet, although I think 99% is properly verified now)

As for this, if it's anything like the other SNK handhelds of recent years it's probably going to be horrible, a novelty item and not much more.  Confidence in their ability to get somebody to do it right is rather low.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:34:01 pm by Haze »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 01:34:24 pm »
If by the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, you mean ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, yeah.

I think people forget just how bad it was just because it was popular and fast.

I don't give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. It ---smurfing--- worked.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 01:35:24 pm »

Do you remember swapping rom names and stuff to make it play more than just Nam-1975 ?

I don't remember that being necessary by the time I got around to using it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:15 pm »
I don't remember that being necessary by the time I got around to using it.

ahhh the very first release only played Nam, then about an hour after release there were guides to make it play other stuff. I remember the dev being unhappy about it.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 01:38:47 pm »
It was the first time I ever got to play Metal Slug with actual blood since the cabs all just had that white ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- instead.

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 05:04:52 pm »
If by the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, you mean ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, yeah.

and this unfortunate way of looking at things is exactly why it took close to 20 years to actually clean up the mess, getting people to care was impossible because 'it worked' even if half the roms were just hacked up messes that wouldn't have actually worked on real hardware.

and people wonder why I feel the need to call out other current dangerous trends when I see them...

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 05:16:53 pm »

and this unfortunate way of looking at things

I guess you didn't hear me the first time.

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:20 pm »

and this unfortunate way of looking at things

I guess you didn't hear me the first time.

Oh I did, I'm just amazed you can't now reflect on why it was actually a bad thing, but would rather continue to gloat about how great something that caused so many problems for other people was just because it fulfilled your own personal need.

NeoRageX (or at least the scene that built around it) was one of the most cancerous & plague like things arcade emulation has seen, luckily that level of stupidity was rare with arcade emulation, we've only just started seeing it again recently with the ripped PC based stuff which because MAME isn't in a position to actually try and help with this time around is probably going to be a completely unfixable mess 20 years from now.

I'm just thankful there were actually enough people with an interest to get it all sorted out properly in the end when it came to the NeoGeo stuff, it's the people who did that who really are "the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---"

One of the most frustrating things about the emulation scene is that people get hyped for entirely the wrong reasons, usually over things that are problematic while the real hard work done by others goes entirely under the radar, so I'm just balancing things out here.  Same applies to most of those 'mini' consoles, they're generally terrible, really bad emulations, poor features, and physically poor quality products but they're heaped with praise.  If this one is anything but that I'll be amazed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:08:13 pm by Haze »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 08:10:23 pm »
i've hit the age where being short bothers me.
Because my arms arn't long enough to hold my phone far enough away to read it clearly.
I need reading glasses just to solder.

As cool as this would look on my desk at work, screen is too small.
considering the majority of people who would even recognize neogeo are in my age group I don't understand why they couldn't at least bump it up to a slightly bigger screen.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 08:35:46 pm »

Oh I did, I'm just amazed you can't now reflect on why it was actually a bad thing, but would rather continue to gloat about how great something that caused so many problems for other people was just because it fulfilled your own personal need.

NeoRageX (or at least the scene that built around it) was one of the most cancerous & plague like things arcade emulation has seen, luckily that level of stupidity was rare with arcade emulation, we've only just started seeing it again recently with the ripped PC based stuff which because MAME isn't in a position to actually try and help with this time around is probably going to be a completely unfixable mess 20 years from now.

It did what MAME couldn't at the time, but of course now 20 years later you'll look back on it and nitpick everything because that's what you do best. Go back to perfecting those exciting cash register drivers in MAME that no one gives a ---fudgesicle--- about.

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 09:18:41 pm »
It did what MAME couldn't at the time, but of course now 20 years later

If seems you're younger than 20 or perhaps 23 like your handle says so how would you know?

History has already proven that what Haze had stated here is indisputable.

Stop being an idiot.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 09:26:34 pm »
It did what MAME couldn't at the time, but of course now 20 years later

If seems you're younger than 20 or perhaps 23 like your handle says so how would you know?

History has already proven that what Haze had stated here is indisputable.

Stop being an idiot.

I don't care what he says, I'm just sick of his attitude.

Everyone else: "Such and such is pretty cool, and a lot of fun!"

Haze:

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 09:42:54 pm »
I just like to give credit where it's really due.

I've already made the mistakes of getting hyped up over things that I shouldn't have in the past.

I regret showing support for NRX in the past, and consider it to have been a grave mistake looking back on the evidence now available.  I dislike the way I was lied to at the time by people in a position to do things properly.

The NeoGeo stuff all happened within the space of a year or two, it wasn't actually long before MAME had a much better NeoGeo driver than NRX offered (NRX never got things like raster interrupts etc. which a lot of games actually make use of) but since the NRX bandwagon was already in full swing we continued to see hacked dumps even when using real ones was possible.  As an emulator it was quickly superseded by many others and if people had any sense back then rather than making puny binary hacks of a dead project just to keep it running a huge problem might have been avoided but it was some weird zombie-software that not even virus-laden hacked up chinese binaries could prevent people from using if it mean said version had been hacked to show some extra games in the list (without improving the emulation at all, or actually being even remotely competitive with the other emulators people had put out)

That's why I'm more fearful of the current arcade hardware cases where MAME literally has no way of doing things properly at the moment, it's entirely in the hands of cowboys instead and they've shown complete lack of care but since what they're doing makes things playable people are throwing money at them, and in the current cases the material is even more fragile so doing it properly is even more important.

The console scene had a similar issue too, especially when it came to 3rd party games with extra protection, the approach everybody chose was to hack the roms to work with their beloved emulators and declare the correct dumps as 'bad dumps' rather than accepting said emulators were not doing things correctly.  Luckily in those cases we were generally only talking about a small part of the library and with time people have realised the mistakes that were being made there too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:49:09 pm by Haze »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 09:54:31 pm »
So how do you feel about UltraHLE?

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 05:39:41 am »

I was really excited about ultraHLE! I almost forgot about it! However, where I lived only had dial up service at the time. I was able to download Mario 64. That is about it. I also quickly realized that it wasn’t easy playing with a keyboard. So I stuck to Nesticle. Until recently, emulation has always been interesting to me rather than practical to actually use. I still don’t play video games. lol

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 11:01:54 am »

I was really excited about ultraHLE! I almost forgot about it! However, where I lived only had dial up service at the time. I was able to download Mario 64. That is about it. I also quickly realized that it wasn’t easy playing with a keyboard. So I stuck to Nesticle. Until recently, emulation has always been interesting to me rather than practical to actually use. I still don’t play video games. lol

I could only dream back then. I wasn't bourgeoise enough to have one of those fancy "3D accelerator" cards back then.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 11:20:58 am »
I remember all those patched versions of mame that could play Neo Geo games that had just come out on location.  I wonder which dev’s hands are dirty with that one.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 05:08:46 am »

I could only dream back then. I wasn't bourgeoise enough to have one of those fancy "3D accelerator" cards back then.

I didn’t either. Probably why I remember it studdering and screen flashing. At the time, we had just got a Sony vaio. Visited my father last weekend and he had the monitor outside and I was like nooo! (Even though it’s nothing special at all)