Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New project start: Fullsize arcade - also asking advices 🙂  (Read 19372 times)

proplayer77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2019, 03:23:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
At last i started my first full size arcade project. After making the bartop i started to gather lots of stuff for this and now i had time to start it.

About the cabinet - i thought and planned a long time which model to build, but in the end i got back to where i started, a 2 player cabin.

I was thinking a japanese style very high and deep cabinet, and also more old-school ones with 4 players.

So, i threw all my previous plans and made simple drawings for this project.

The sides are made from one sheet, 2400x1200, so its about 60cm deep. Height it 195cm.

Im going to use a pc with hyperspin and rocketlauncher and also want to make it as jukebox with spotify-lists.

Materials to start with:

-Im using Plywood 18mm for sides, and 14mm for other parts. 2 sheets 2400x1200mm each
-Plywood 18mm for the CP
-wood bars (made myself with cirkular saw)
-Wheels with brakes - 4
-joystick and button sets - 2
-extra buttons - so many i need
-6.5" speakers - 1 pair
-amplifier - 1
-coin doors - 2 (im still thinking if i use them, have them though allready, also have  "credit" buttons for this)
-Fans - 2 + 2
-Led strip - 5m
-Carbon / vinyls - still thinking about these, have ordered carbon for control panel ( i liked the look on my bartop)
-T-molding 19mm, black - (12m)
-24" monitor (still thinking if it should be bigger but for 2 player this is fine) - 1
-power supply for mame arcade machines - 1
-different connectors for power and electrics - so many as needed
-a doorlock on front - 1
-hinges for doors - 4
-cupholders - 2 (VERY IMPORTANT :))
Edit/add/changes:
-24”lcd -> 32” tv
-track ball with colour
-polycarbon sheet for marque
-track ball panel
-spray 7 cans to inside paint
-1l alkydpaint to outside
-joystick lenghteners 1.5cm x 2
-grills for fan holes and passive vents x 3

Computer im using:
Quadcore 2.8ghz, 4gb,8800GTS 2gb
Windows10 Pro

Software: Hyperspin, Rocketlauncher, and jukebox.

I can add to the list more along the way, cant remember all things now i have and will need.

I dont have expert tools, so this is good project to follow if you have a garage/space and handtools like im using in my garage. It takes a little more time but will get the job done :). I want to use screws to make the cab stable, so you wont be seeing any spike guns on my pics.

Here are some pics ive done sofar. Ill add more along the way:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:46:04 pm by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
Re: New project start: Fullsize arcade
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:15:49 pm »
I need advice. I have a older Samsung 37” hdready tv lying around.
I measured the sides and it should fit ok. My first thought was using a 24” monitor but the cabin would be quite narrow so im thinking if I make it wider with the tv?

-can there be resolution problems with this?
-im going to use a pc on this - any issues?

Im not sure about the resolution (going to check) but it should work with Hyperspin?

Edit: its only 1366x768. https://us.hardware.info/product/21893/lg-37lc51/specifications

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:47:48 pm by proplayer77 »

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
Re: New project start: Fullsize arcade - also asking advices 🙂
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:27:11 pm »
Stick with the 24".  When you are standing that close to the cabinet, you really don't need anything bigger and your cab will get too wide.  You are going with the 2 player, not the 4 right?

The PC with Hyperspin will work great.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 02:11:10 pm »
Yes, 2-player.

I measured and its going to be only 57cm wide if i use monitor width. I think your right, because with mame resolutions it will be too close for playing.

Im going to also try to make it to be a jukebox that can be opened from hyperspin and rocketlauncher. Any advice/experience on that?I googled some software that should work.

Im running Hyperspin and Rocketlauncher on a i5 laptop and that i should get running ok.
Is C2D or P4 3Ghz+ , 2-4 gigs ram ok with a basic graphics card? Or should i use better hw?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:52:30 am by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 12:59:52 pm »
I tried to mount the 37” old tv just to see and it was too wide. Today i got a fresh very nice 32” tv that is going to be the one for the project.

Heres a pic of my testmount today with the 37”:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:42:59 pm by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:46:39 pm »
I installed fresh win7 and downloaded latest hyperspin, rocketlauncher, emulators and other software needed.

I think this stable pc will run software needed, comments?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:58:07 am by proplayer77 »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:13:20 am »
It could do with 4gb memory, (And possibly a dedicated video card) but other then that it should be good to play 95% or more of all playable games in mame :)

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:36:53 pm »
Thx for comment, i should have more memory for it, MB has 4 memory slots  :applaud:. Also looking for a older pci-e max 1gb video card for it.

I test mounted the 32" screen today and it fitted well. So now i can advance more when the display is selected  :cheers:.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »
Some progress done. Dont have that much extra time atm so this going to take a while 🙂.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 01:56:29 pm »
Some progress done. Backside is covered and wheels with brakes added to the bottom. The marquee frame also done and t-moulding-ready all the way. Slowly progressing.  T-moulding arrived yesterday too  :applaud:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »
   That turned out nice,.... If it was mine Jenn would double up the inside back bottom with another ply sheet, or (3 oak 2x4) so it could be bolted to the wall like a jukebox.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 03:09:55 pm »
Thx, that plysheet can be easily added later on with 45 angle on top. It has wheels so atm i attend to make it mobile.

BTw: Heres a pic of the cupholders:

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 03:31:51 am »
I just made a raw plan for the CP. Im thinking that it would run 10 cm over on both sides. Is that too much?
Trackball is still on its way, but i have all other stuff allready in stock. Im thinking that I will use some buttons with led and some without it. Not a big fan of led stuff anyway  :laugh:.

Trackball is ment only for the jukebox functionality. Im thing about making a KB and mouse drawer too but this way I woudnt need it, ofc seeking songs with name will not be that cool to do with onscreen keyboard as the screen isnt touchscreen...

I will ofc measure everything and this plan can change.

Any comments?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 12:01:42 pm »
OMG!.... the handwritten plans are so AWESOME in this digital skecthup world, (Jenn used to do that), You find the math to make symmetrical becomes challenging to the point of insanity and arguing with the voices in your head, (mentally calculating the total volume of your dinner before you eat is good practice) However once your good at it you don't even need the paper plans anymore 8).... There are people around here better suited to the practical physical layout of a MAME c/p and sizing then me however so to make sure you get 100% advice I will just quietly just sit in the corner ;).

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
Lose about 10cm either side , tighten up a little in the middle (P1 and P2 Joysticks/buttons a bit closer to trackball)  (Lose cupholders if you have to or find another way to have them) That way there is no need for overhang. Me no fan of the overhang.  Largest standard dynamo cab had 30" wide control panel. You should end up a bit wider because of the screen but still be able to fit everything pretty comfortably.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 04:52:21 pm »
Lose about 10cm either side , tighten up a little in the middle (P1 and P2 Joysticks/buttons a bit closer to trackball)  (Lose cupholders if you have to or find another way to have them) That way there is no need for overhang. Me no fan of the overhang.  Largest standard dynamo cab had 30" wide control panel. You should end up a bit wider because of the screen but still be able to fit everything pretty comfortably.

Thx, i will make some changes and add the here.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 08:39:52 pm »
Am I reading that right? 102cm? You made it mobile, how wide are the doors you want to roll it through? Any concern there?

If I were you, I'd make it my goal to setup your cabinet so you don't need any admin buttons. Lastly, what's the point of 8 buttons per player?

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:52:56 am »
Am I reading that right? 102cm? You made it mobile, how wide are the doors you want to roll it through? Any concern there?

If I were you, I'd make it my goal to setup your cabinet so you don't need any admin buttons. Lastly, what's the point of 8 buttons per player?

Hi, wheels turn so it can be rolled sideways.

The buttons are still under planning, i also have 2 coin doors. I think I will also add flipper buttons. :)

My concern is if i add too many setups without admin buttons its too hard for my kids to use it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 08:58:56 am »
"My concern is if i add too many setups without admin buttons its too hard for my kids to use it."

If that is the case, you have too many setups. Arcade machines were simple. That was part of the draw. You could walk up to one, drop in a quarter and start playing.
If you need a PhD in computer science to get to the game you want, nobody is going to bother with it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 09:25:50 am »
I have two multi arcade machines in my arcade room. One runs MAME from a PC. It has a vertical monitor, 4 way joystick, 3 action buttons, P1 and P2 start, and a trackball. I have about a dozen games on the menu.

I have a candy cab with a horizontal monitor, 2 8 way joysticks, 12 action buttons, and P1 and P2 start. It has a Pandora's Box 3 that came with the cab. I pared the list down to about 50 games.

The machine with a dozen games gets far more play than the other.

Both of them get far less play than my dedicated machines. Except Defender. The casuals play Defender once, cry a little, and then play something else.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 04:17:26 pm »

My concern is if i add too many setups without admin buttons its too hard for my kids to use it.

What admin buttons are your planning?  Exit is helpful IMO.  Coinup is nice unless you are going to have a coin door which is preferred.  You don't really need any others.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
Re: New project start: Fullsize arcade - also asking advices [emoji846]
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 11:21:42 pm »

What admin buttons are your planning?  Exit is helpful IMO.  Coinup is nice unless you are going to have a coin door which is preferred.  You don't really need any others.
With the right encoder/frontend setup you can get away with no admin buttons really.  I run Hyperspin with an Ipac.  After playing -3 times my 4yo learned the most important ones (select emulator/game, pause game, volume controls, favorites menu) and my 10yo has figured out all of my shift keys...even RL pause so she can check the moves lists for fighting games.

The only admin button I have besides exit (mounted on the bottom of the CP) is a "left tab" button so i can access Mame setup for rapid fire...and I mounted that on top of the cab so my kids can't accidently screw up my settings.

Before I had no admins buttons and just used the default Ipac shift for exit (P1 start + P2 start).  But with kids constantly dying and button mashing they kept accidently backing  out of games so I added a dedicated  exit out of sight.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:26:23 pm by luizw81 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 01:57:56 pm »
Very good discussion, I appreciate all opinions. I have 2 cheaper coin doors but im thinking if use them. Any experience on these (picture).

Then i could take advise how to mount the amp to the cp like i had it in the picture. I have to make a hole - yes, but the shape of the metal case cant be like that from the bottom(wings). Do i need to cut some metal from the bottom of the case to only show the face of the amp? I dont know if i can lose the case either and i think it would be quite neat to have it visible.

Added also the final button setting I chose. I narrowed the CP to be 92.5 cm (only 5cm over sides).

Added also picture with some other stuff, the speakers will be mounted from front as they look very cool in my opinion :).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:14:34 pm by proplayer77 »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 03:01:40 pm »
Those mechs look like commercial washing machine stuff, cant see why they wouldn't work.... The amp gets a little trickier, First they get hot, sometimes really hot, (your cab is a bit limited by the physical size to do what your saying) and cutting around on that case will make it look like monkey butt since that's probably anodized aluminum ....However, that marquee hole could be utilized by mounting 2 big heatsinks on either side of it all mounted on a 1/4" polished plate aluminum and ventilated with 2 fans on back of cab (possibly hooked up to heat sensors if you are clever) some leds, and colored plexy with sandblast etch art and your in!

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 03:27:53 pm »
Pop the amp open, if all the connections are simple switches and pots then you should be able to get a piece of aluminium milled to the right size to have all the switches etc on and then wires run back to the connections on the actual amp.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 06:30:36 am »
Ill pop the amp open and see what it has inside👍.

Yesterday i made a drawer for kb and mouse and today started with speaker shelf. Vent holes also done.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:54:51 am by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 05:03:55 am »
Question about powering the cab:

Should i/ Can i use only computers powersupply or use paraller the arcade power supply and computer supply? Do you have any plans about your full arcade cabins power circuits ?

The about painting the cab:

im thinking using black furniture paint for the cab and use roll for the painjob as its "real wood". Im not thinking about putting vinyls to sides at this time, maybe later. Carbon vinyl is going to be on CP and speaker shelf.

Current project phase:
I have still work to be done with speaker shelf, power switch hole, door to the front, some adjusting for the drawer etc + CP button holes and hinges from CP towards the cab, and a lot of sanding before painting it, but its not that far away, so i could get the paints allready from store.

Thx again for comments :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:09:22 am by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 01:57:55 pm »
Got paint today.

Any experience on thiskind of Alkylpaint on plywood arcades?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 02:16:26 pm »
Yesterday i made a drawer for kb and mouse and today started with speaker shelf. Vent holes also done.
I hope you checked the clearances from the bottom of the joysticks to where the keyboard sits.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 02:38:29 pm »
Hi, yes, thats checked 👍 They should fit perfectly.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 03:38:36 pm »
Some progress again.

CP is modified and holes are done. Speaker shelf is almost done.

The vent holes are done and grills are painted. (Found only white from local stores)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 04:03:03 pm »
You have some good skills with the wood.  Maybe I missed it, but is this cab "extra wide"?  It looks like a widescreen monitor could fit in there - if that is the case, why?  Are you going to cover the sides with a bezel so only 4:3 ratio shows?  I know most 4:3 LCDs only go up to 19" so to go bigger you have to go wide...  Just curious because I don't know any arcade games that are 16:9.   :cheers:

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 04:24:01 pm »
Thx.

Its going to have a 32” tv as a display. Im thinkin about that bezel to hide sides but its going to be after i have adjusted screen resolutions etc.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 07:32:13 am »
I have a trackball question. Should I put "mouse" buttons close to trackball if its in the middle? Any experience anyone? Trackball is in ots way though im still thinking about if i use it or not....? :D

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 07:23:37 pm »
I never used mouse buttons on my trackball cabinets. I hadn't had a need for them.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2018, 08:01:39 am »
Ok, i was thinking that if i use it as a spotify Jukebox is it easier to have some buttons near the trackball....? I have to use it to select a song (thats why i have kb too). Im just thinking that should i not install the trackball as i now have kb and mouse possibility inside the drawer...?

What about that paint, is it ok to use Alkydpaint for this? No replies on that.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 08:27:57 am »
I made a simple plan for powering the cabin.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 08:37:53 am »
Don't use your arcade machine as a jukebox. It adds unnecessary complication. Just use a cheap tablet for your music. Use the headphone out to a stereo system or bluetooth if it is a newer system.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 08:48:45 am »
I never used mouse buttons on my trackball cabinets. I hadn't had a need for them.

I agree.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2018, 09:10:34 am »
Don't use your arcade machine as a jukebox. It adds unnecessary complication. Just use a cheap tablet for your music. Use the headphone out to a stereo system or bluetooth if it is a newer system.

+1.  With cheap Bluetooth speakers and a phone or tablet you should be all set in the music department.