Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How far should the marquee recess into the arcade cab?  (Read 2363 times)

obizues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
How far should the marquee recess into the arcade cab?
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:15:13 pm »
I've seen a lot of people leave space between the board that usually mounts some sort of lighting, but is there a standard distance?

Picture for reference attached.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Re: How far should the marquee recess into the arcade cab?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:00:27 pm »
If you are using a marquee retainer:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfcwGPaDCzTR2Dr01ye-q5sEtd68105EgxesotwE4KN-KDkYgwVPOdtOXx8D0&usqp=CAE

Then it should be deep enough that the marquee retainer doesn't stick out beyond the front of the side panels. It doesn't hurt to be deeper but it really isn't necessary.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 09:01:40 pm »
If you are using a marquee retainer:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfcwGPaDCzTR2Dr01ye-q5sEtd68105EgxesotwE4KN-KDkYgwVPOdtOXx8D0&usqp=CAE

Then it should be deep enough that the marquee retainer doesn't stick out beyond the front of the side panels. It doesn't hurt to be deeper but it really isn't necessary.

I’m not sure what that is. Seems like I
Need to look that up.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 09:28:36 pm »
Are you asking how far back you should mount the light or how far back the lower panel, that typically hold the speakers, and the top panel, how far back they should be from the front edge of the side panels?

For the first, it really depends on what type of lighting you use and whether or not your marque will have a diffuser panel behind the picture. I usually use a diffuser and two rows of led light strips. For a standard marque size (around 7" tall), I can get away with about 5-6" of depth. For smaller marquees (like a bartop), I can shorten that to 2-3".

For the second question. I would agree with the previous poster's answer. As far back as necessary so that a marquee retainer (like the one linked) doesn't stick out further than the edge of the side panels. Now if you use aluminum L channel as your marque retainer then I like to match the depth to that of the edge of the side panels to the glass/screen.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:32:16 pm by ivwshane »

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 09:32:47 pm »
For the first, it really depends on what type of lighting you use and weather or not your marque will have a diffuser panel behind the picture.
I’m not familiar with the diffuser panel.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 10:08:25 pm »
Its a panel that sits between the marquee image and the light. I usually either sand a piece of acrylic smooth or paint it white. You could also buy a thin piece of white acrylic as well to get the same affect.

Basically what it does is make the light source more obscure.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 10:17:48 pm »
Its a panel that sits between the marquee image and the light. I usually either sand a piece of acrylic smooth or paint it white. You could also buy a thin piece of white acrylic as well to get the same affect.

Basically what it does is make the light source more obscure.

Gotcha, I always though you just put two pieces of glass and sandwiched the marquee logo. Is there a link you can send me?

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 01:07:00 am »
I've never found defusers to be necessary. I literally just put my marquee between 2 pieces of clear plexi. Works perfect with these behind it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF65MC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, only used about 4-5 feet of the LED lighting.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 08:21:24 am »
I've never found defusers to be necessary. I literally just put my marquee between 2 pieces of clear plexi. Works perfect with these behind it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF65MC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, only used about 4-5 feet of the LED lighting.

This is probably a stupid question... but can you just cut it?  Or do you use the extra length to run to the power source?

I’m going to have to make a plan on how I’m going to run power for that and my speakers- is there any references you can point me to for power wiring plans?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:22 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 09:04:20 am »
can you just cut it?
Yes.
Cuttable and linkable. Easy to cut and use with Lighting EVER accessory. It can be cut every 3 LEDs along the cutting marks, without damaging the rest strips.

There are jumpers like these or you can solder wires to the tiny pads.

I used a tiny drill bit to make through holes for the wires on this addressable RGB LED -- ignore the yellow data wire.

Scott

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 09:19:00 am »
Just a tip, these are way easier to use than the strips and very cheap too. I space them 3-5 inches back from the plexi, no diffuser, perfect light...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-10-500FT-5050-SMD-3-LED-Module-STORE-FRONT-Window-Light-Strip-Remote-Power/292303679570?var=591202656692&hash=item440ea83052:m:mxK8baZmAU5xk85nZeUdC5g

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 10:13:43 am »
Did you only need 1 row?  Or did you do 2?

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 12:19:57 pm »
Literally just put them on the top, bottom and both sides, in one big loop. Very simple. It has adhesive backing too so they just stick in place. I added some hot glue in a few places to help hold it in place forever.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 01:49:23 pm »
Literally just put them on the top, bottom and both sides, in one big loop. Very simple. It has adhesive backing too so they just stick in place. I added some hot glue in a few places to help hold it in place forever.
Okay thanks!