Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Cabinet Build: I have no idea what I'm doing  (Read 102900 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
Re: First Cabinet Build: I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2018, 02:20:01 pm »
I was planning on using GameOnGrafix.

I do not know how to make the art for a bezel.  If you are talking about making an actual bezel like a piece of MDF or plywood with a hole cut out of the middle that's easy.  Draw the rectangle, rough cut with jigsaw (using drill to make pilot holes in the corners so you can get the blade in there).  Use a router and flush trim bit to clean up the edges to the line.  Use a Japanese hand saw or a sharp chisel to clean up the corners.  Easy peasy.

obizues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2018, 03:01:27 pm »
I was planning on using GameOnGrafix.

I do not know how to make the art for a bezel.  If you are talking about making an actual bezel like a piece of MDF or plywood with a hole cut out of the middle that's easy.  Draw the rectangle, rough cut with jigsaw (using drill to make pilot holes in the corners so you can get the blade in there).  Use a router and flush trim bit to clean up the edges to the line.  Use a Japanese hand saw or a sharp chisel to clean up the corners.  Easy peasy.

Oh that's not bad at all.

Do most people put plexiglass or something less reflective over the bezel and monitor?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2018, 03:28:00 pm »
I have only used gray tinted glass for scratch builds.  I do not like plexi.  Also, you may not even need a bezel if you use glass.  You could spray the back of the glass (masking off the monitor area).  You could use matte board between the glass and the monitor.  There are a few different ways you can go.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
I have only used gray tinted glass for scratch builds.  I do not like plexi.  Also, you may not even need a bezel if you use glass.  You could spray the back of the glass (masking off the monitor area).  You could use matte board between the glass and the monitor.  There are a few different ways you can go.

How do people usually mount the marquee so it fits within the wood if they have T-molding around it?  IE, how do you make the marquee print snug against the T-molding?

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2018, 09:53:01 pm »
I'm having a hard time finding artwork that can fit what I need it to do.

For example: I found a 4 MB file on Google and I exported it out of Photoshop at 300 DPI, and it looks like garbage..

Image I used:

I thought for sure that would be large enough to put on my front.. but when I export it at 300 DPI, it looks like this up close at 100% :

Do I really need to find vector art or commission some in order to print at any quality large enough for an arcade?  I really thought 4MB would be big enough.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2018, 10:05:19 pm »
Additionally, added bottom of marquee with routed t-molding and speaker piece.

Right now the space for a marquee would be 5 5/8” c 32... which seems small. Or I could use the T-molding portion and get to 7”, but I assume that would be a dead light spot

Control panel fits.

More sanding. Lots and lots of sanding.  🤤

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2018, 05:25:04 am »
Hire an artist. They know what they are doing.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2018, 07:20:26 am »
Hire an artist. They know what they are doing.

My question is whether or not a 4K-ish file really isn’t a high enough resolution for printing, and if I need to only use vector art.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2018, 08:09:36 am »
Your question means that you don't know enough about computer graphics to do a good job. Save yourself a disaster and hire someone. The artwork is visible all the time. If it sucks, you will be irritated every time you look at it.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:09 am »
Dots per inch Is relatively straight forward. If my
Marquee is 7x32 and I was 300 DPI I would need a resolution of 2100x9600.I get that.

I was under the impression you could use existing art for a marquee or other smaller parts.

It seems as if you have information but are purposely avoiding giving it- which is what confuses me.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #290 on: July 24, 2018, 09:53:30 am »
You are confused because you are wrong. I don't know jack about digital artwork. Although my pen drawings have been called transcendent.

I have an artist incubating a project for me because I am not an artist.

You should know by now that I don't play games like that. I would just tell you that I am not disclosing my valuable information to you.

If I could help you I would. Hiring an artist is the best way to go.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: July 24, 2018, 10:02:53 am »
Please tell me how I’m wrong...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2018, 10:04:57 am »
Doofus. You are wrong about me withholding information from you. What part of I don't know jack about digital art did you not understand?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2018, 10:05:15 am »
I have seen Mike's artistic talent and it really is unbelievable.  I have no idea whether a 4MB file prints big enough for your cab - just print it in black and white and find out for yourself. 

That said, if you don't have experience with creating artwork then look into hiring someone or buying some stock art and cut it to fit your cab.  There are TONS of people around here with the ability to provide something nice or at least share the art they have used previously.  There is a sick SF cab I'll try to dig up with custom art and everything that might work.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2018, 10:09:17 am »
Doofus. You are wrong about me withholding information from you. What part of I don't know jack about digital art did you not understand?

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:34 am »
I have seen Mike's artistic talent and it really is unbelievable.  I have no idea whether a 4MB file prints big enough for your cab - just print it in black and white and find out for yourself. 

That said, if you don't have experience with creating artwork then look into hiring someone or buying some stock art and cut it to fit your cab.  There are TONS of people around here with the ability to provide something nice or at least share the art they have used previously.  There is a sick SF cab I'll try to dig up with custom art and everything that might work.

I'm trying to stick to MvC, preferably Infinite or non-versioned.  The weird part is the artwork I've found for MvC2/3 is lower resolution. 

To be fair it could be the person protecting their IP, but I'm surprised that I can't find scaleable MvC anywhere.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:02 am »
Wait until you post your horrible collage of other people's artwork. You will see my laser beam eyes.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2018, 10:25:36 am »
Please tell me how I’m wrong...

For reference the control panel image that the artist I hired made (raster image) is roughly 250MB, and it has a lot of black space.  The side art is roughly 750MB.  The number of dots per inch (DPI) can be misleading.  In photoshop  you can take any image and make it become 300DPI that doesn’t mean that each pixel will look good if it wasn’t originally created in 300DPI.  There are ways of using Photoshop to interpret the closest pixels when increasing the pixel density to try to get a clearer image (I think it’s called “nearest neighbor”.  I’ll leave that explanation to someone more experienced.  I think Opt2not gave a quick tip on a previous thread.  I would also suggest hiring someone or using previously created work.  Having a permanent always visible reminder of a smudgy image 6ft tall will probably always annoy you.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #298 on: July 24, 2018, 10:30:46 am »
Wait until you post your horrible collage of other people's artwork. You will see my laser beam eyes.

I don't have the strength today.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2018, 10:33:02 am »

For reference the control panel image that the artist I hired made (raster image) is roughly 250MB, and it has a lot of black space.  The side art is roughly 750MB.  The number of dots per inch (DPI) can be misleading.  In photoshop  you can take any image and make it become 300DPI that doesn’t mean that each pixel will look good if it wasn’t originally created in 300DPI.  There are ways of using Photoshop to interpret the closest pixels when increasing the pixel density to try to get a clearer image (I think it’s called “nearest neighbor”.  I’ll leave that explanation to someone more experienced.  I think Opt2not gave a quick tip on a previous thread.  I would also suggest hiring someone or using previously created work.  Having a permanent always visible reminder of a smudgy image 6ft tall will probably always annoy you.

Point taken, I should have stated that I would want art "created at" 300 or greater DPI.

I guess my brain blocker here again is, it's hard for me to believe that this hasn't been done before and is not available somewhere to prevent me from spending $1000+ on artwork.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #300 on: July 24, 2018, 10:40:28 am »

Point taken, I should have stated that I would want art "created at" 300 or greater DPI.

I guess my brain blocker here again is, it's hard for me to believe that this hasn't been done before and is not available somewhere to prevent me from spending $1000+ on artwork.

Artwork is not $1000+ but it is a significant expense.  You should be able to do it for under $200 though.

Do a search here for "marvel" in the project announcements forum.  There are a few scratch built MvC cabs.  You could PM those guys for the art files.  It's a start at least.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2018, 10:46:40 am »

Artwork is not $1000+ but it is a significant expense.  You should be able to do it for under $200 though.

Do a search here for "marvel" in the project announcements forum.  There are a few scratch built MvC cabs.  You could PM those guys for the art files.  It's a start at least.

Good call, I will start to do that.  I've PMed a few I stumbled across, but nothing so far  :'(

I can start searching though like you suggested.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2018, 10:59:28 am »

Have you tired using the Tools in Google search under Images to filter for content of a certain size?

Doing a search there I see a number of 12+ Megapixel images of Marvel vs Capcom.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:39:35 pm by Arroyo »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2018, 11:37:11 am »
Dots per inch Is relatively straight forward. If myMarquee is 7x32 and I was 300 DPI I would need a resolution of 2100x9600.I get that.

I was under the impression you could use existing art for a marquee or other smaller parts.
Im going to over simplify, as to not overwhelm.

Raster = dots , vector = lines

When you scale up a raster image in photoshop it polls the pixels. If bi/trilinear filtering is on it "smooths out" the image but makes it blurry. If nearest neighbor is on , it keeps the image blocky. Scaling up a raster rarely results in a good looking image. But if you only adjust the size a little, its not always noticeable.

If you have a vector, it scales up and down without any quality loss. There are no dots to smooth out and lines can scale without loss of quality.

Vectorizing existing art is just drawing lines/shapes overtop of existing art, converting the dots to lines. It is a VERY tedious process to manually, and the results of automated vectoring isn't always good.

Art wont cost you a grand but it can really make a project look protato.
There are tons of high resolution raster art pieces and a ton of vector art for marvel vs Capcom and a ton of marvel stuff in general. There are also tons of artists on deviant that'd love to get hired to do something custom.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2018, 11:44:55 am »

Have you tired using the Tools in Google search under Images to filter for content of a certain size?

Doing a search there I see a number of 12+ Megapixel images of Marvel vs Capcom.

I did, that's one of the images that I reference above, and what I tried to explain that I did.  Mike seems to suggest that it would not be a goo idea to do that since I would create blurry artwork.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #305 on: July 24, 2018, 11:50:55 am »
Mike seems to suggest that it would not be a goo idea to do that since I would create blurry artwork.

Where did I say that?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #306 on: July 24, 2018, 11:57:42 am »

I did, that's one of the images that I reference above, and what I tried to explain that I did.  Mike seems to suggest that it would not be a goo idea to do that since I would create blurry artwork.

I think Malenko’s explanation is very good.  In general scaling up raster images is tuff.  You probably can as he/I suggested find stuff that is high enough resolution.  Only way to know for sure is to pull down the image and zoom in to the scale of your print and see how clear it is. 

Also as he suggested, and as I personally prefer, it’s a lot cooler to have unique artwork done for your cab.  I was shocked at how cheap artists are willing to work for, it really is an under appreciated field.  Deviant art is good, I had luck on Fiverr as well.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: July 24, 2018, 11:59:39 am »
Im going to over simplify, as to not overwhelm.

Raster = dots , vector = lines

When you scale up a raster image in photoshop it polls the pixels. If bi/trilinear filtering is on it "smooths out" the image but makes it blurry. If nearest neighbor is on , it keeps the image blocky. Scaling up a raster rarely results in a good looking image. But if you only adjust the size a little, its not always noticeable.

If you have a vector, it scales up and down without any quality loss. There are no dots to smooth out and lines can scale without loss of quality.

Vectorizing existing art is just drawing lines/shapes overtop of existing art, converting the dots to lines. It is a VERY tedious process to manually, and the results of automated vectoring isn't always good.

Art wont cost you a grand but it can really make a project look protato.
There are tons of high resolution raster art pieces and a ton of vector art for marvel vs Capcom and a ton of marvel stuff in general. There are also tons of artists on deviant that'd love to get hired to do something custom.

Maybe I should've started with that I have a functioning digital artwork understanding.  I get the mathematics behind vector art, so if I'm talking about DPI concerns that would only be for rasterized artwork.

My concern was the large rasterized artwork that I found coming out blurry.  (See pictures above)

Do you have a link you can share with me that has good vectorized artwork for MvC stuff?  I can't seem to find any.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2018, 12:03:48 pm »
Where did I say that?

Maybe not blurry.. just that it would be a "disaster."  My heartfelt apologies.

Your question means that you don't know enough about computer graphics to do a good job. Save yourself a disaster and hire someone. The artwork is visible all the time. If it sucks, you will be irritated every time you look at it.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2018, 12:05:32 pm »
I think Malenko’s explanation is very good.  In general scaling up raster images is tuff.  You probably can as he/I suggested find stuff that is high enough resolution.  Only way to know for sure is to pull down the image and zoom in to the scale of your print and see how clear it is. 

Also as he suggested, and as I personally prefer, it’s a lot cooler to have unique artwork done for your cab.  I was shocked at how cheap artists are willing to work for, it really is an under appreciated field.  Deviant art is good, I had luck on Fiverr as well.

Deviant art is pretty expensive based on preliminary estimates.  Anything worth it's weight in salt is going between $800 and $5000 right now based on my req.

I can look at fiver. 

I did find someone on the boards though that looks as though they are willing to help me out.  ;D

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2018, 12:22:18 pm »

Deviant art is pretty expensive based on preliminary estimates.  Anything worth it's weight in salt is going between $800 and $5000 right now based on my req.

I can look at fiver. 

I did find someone on the boards though that looks as though they are willing to help me out.  ;D

LOL $5000. 

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2018, 12:32:37 pm »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2018, 01:57:45 pm »
Maybe I should've started with that I have a functioning digital artwork understanding.  I get the mathematics behind vector art, so if I'm talking about DPI concerns that would only be for rasterized artwork.

My concern was the large rasterized artwork that I found coming out blurry.  (See pictures above)

Do you have a link you can share with me that has good vectorized artwork for MvC stuff?  I can't seem to find any.
I don't know what you don't know, so I have to answer based on you knowing zilch.
DPI concerns aren't just for rasters, especially when printing, so Im still unsure exactly how much you do know.  I google image search "marvel capcom vector" and found numerous results, in vector format (both AI and PSD).

I wish I was joking:

Someone giving you bad information doesn't make it true. Unless you are a giant pain in the butt that changes his mind all the time and expects infinite revisions; you're looking at probably around $600 or $700 tops for a competent artist to create a one of a kind piece. No I'm not for hire. You could probably get snaaaake to do it for less if you're good with editing existing art and not flat out creating new stuff. He knows what he's doing.

Javeryh just hired a guy from deviant to his latest bartop , so he's got recent insight into exactly what you're asking about.  There is no way $5,000 is an acceptable price point unless you're griff-rich.  All you really need is the 1 side (other side can be mirrored) and the marquee. Control panel is usually pretty simple.

obizues

• Offline Offline

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #314 on: July 24, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »
Maybe this is the real question I have:

Is there a way if I find high res rasterized art.. that there is an easy way to determine if I can use it to print.. other than switching it to 300 DPI (if it isn't already) and viewing a swatch at 100% of the print size?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #315 on: July 24, 2018, 02:44:23 pm »
Don't search by file type. Use the search tools and search by transparent, that should help narrow them down.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #317 on: July 24, 2018, 04:11:01 pm »
Don't search by file type. Use the search tools and search by transparent, that should help narrow them down.

I am finding a lot of PNG's that way, but not necessarily any vector files that I can easily scale.. unless you are suggesting to use the expansion tools in PS to allow size increasing.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2018, 04:12:31 pm »
Now - click on the Images list instead of All !

:-\

Yeah, but then it still doesn't have .ai or other vector file formats.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: July 26, 2018, 08:30:25 pm »
So I cut out squares instead of ovals...   :dunno

I’m trying to fill in with wood putty, but the second I take the coin door and vault out I am assuming the putty will crumble.

So I need a plan to be able to take them out so that I can paint/put artwork on cabinet when it’s time.

I just need to remember NOT TO CUT the artwork into SQUARES.