Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Cabinet Build: I have no idea what I'm doing  (Read 102917 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: First Cabinet Build: I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #520 on: September 17, 2018, 01:05:57 pm »
Not sure if I missed it but did you fix your electrical issue? If so what was it?

obizues

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
« Reply #521 on: September 17, 2018, 01:51:54 pm »
Not sure if I missed it but did you fix your electrical issue? If so what was it?

I didn’t. I rewired everything and no dice. 

I’m going to try and use a new surge protector and see what happens.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #522 on: September 17, 2018, 01:53:01 pm »

I didn’t. I rewired everything and no dice. 

I’m going to try and use a new surge protector and see what happens.

Did you do the tests I suggested?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #523 on: September 17, 2018, 01:58:17 pm »
  Most everyone here strives to build the best machines on the planet and are quite passionate about it, But on a budget and cutting corners at the end of the day it is what it is and even a machine that may a little rough is still a jewel.  Your machine obizues Jennifer would consider a success mostly because you actually built it, not just talked about it but actually grabbed a saw and cut some wood, made a few mistakes and obviously learned a few things along the way weather slapped into you with sharp witted criticism, mined of U/tubes, or actually built by your grandfather.... I get the frustration however, it never ends one thing after another, things need to not only fit and work together but needs to look good too. It is hard... But when the smoke clears and the curtain comes down on this project Jenn would be of the opinion you should not only personally thank Saint and his Mods for even having the passion, foresight and all the hard work that went into building and maintaining the BYOAC for you.  For all the help and information you did get....But pass on what you did learn to the next guy building his first cabinet.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #524 on: September 17, 2018, 02:38:41 pm »
  Most everyone here strives to build the best machines on the planet and are quite passionate about it, But on a budget and cutting corners at the end of the day it is what it is and even a machine that may a little rough is still a jewel.  Your machine obizues Jennifer would consider a success mostly because you actually built it, not just talked about it but actually grabbed a saw and cut some wood, made a few mistakes and obviously learned a few things along the way weather slapped into you with sharp witted criticism, mined of U/tubes, or actually built by your grandfather.... I get the frustration however, it never ends one thing after another, things need to not only fit and work together but needs to look good too. It is hard... But when the smoke clears and the curtain comes down on this project Jenn would be of the opinion you should not only personally thank Saint and his Mods for even having the passion, foresight and all the hard work that went into building and maintaining the BYOAC for you.  For all the help and information you did get....But pass on what you did learn to the next guy building his first cabinet.

:applaud:

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #525 on: September 17, 2018, 02:59:13 pm »

Yes. Everything read on the MM as it should have. So it’s the power strip (or wires.)

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #526 on: September 17, 2018, 03:02:39 pm »
But when the smoke clears and the curtain comes down on this project Jenn would be of the opinion you should not only personally thank Saint and his Mods for even having the passion, foresight and all the hard work that went into building and maintaining the BYOAC for you.  For all the help and information you did get....But pass on what you did learn to the next guy building his first cabinet.
That’s fair. To be clear I’m not ripping on this community as a whole. That being said the community is also the sum of its parts for better or worse.

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2023, 04:21:07 pm
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
« Reply #527 on: September 17, 2018, 03:17:14 pm »
Ask for advice...

Get plenty of advice...

Ignore the advice...

And wonder why the advisers become annoyed...

:cheers:

That sums it up..

No offence Obiz, I don't want to sound like I am adding to the "hate" or makin you dislike this place, I learned by ---smurfing--- up a lot also. My wife likes to contact our clients and employees via txt and email and tell her "call them, with txt you sound like a ---smurfette---". I only say this bc without a voice things are sometimes misconstrued. 

And for a little gentle ribbing..
I'm still trying to get over your use of paint on what looks to be oak ply, that is a sin even if it is H-Depot lumber :lol If you were going to paint it you should have used that Sande ply crap they sell or MDF.

With the cam lock being at the top and the examples I see either folding down on bartops or coming out (I think) on the big one, is that a concern? Obviously I already have hinges on my back panel.

Or does it really not matter that I have hinges on mine since a bar is going to block the door from opening regardless and the key should pull on a swing to the side as easy as a swing down?

Remove the outhouse handle (fill screw holes and sand smooth) and install the Cam Lock (on the door) edge where you had the handle so it catches the back panel. See Pic
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:25:56 pm by Buick455 »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #528 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:29 pm »

Yes. Everything read on the MM as it should have. So it’s the power strip (or wires.)
  Before you take everything apart, detail your test results here.  It's highly unlikely that you've got a defective power strip... there's a fault in the wiring and it's easier to diagnose an issue than to start again from scratch.  Then you'll really be frustrated!  (believe me - been there, done that)

Not to pile on but 120v is no joke - your final product shouldn't give you any opportunity to get shocked unless you're really trying... otherwise you've got some additional lead dress to do.

You'll get it!

Mike 
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.