Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Cabinet Build: I have no idea what I'm doing  (Read 102917 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
Re: First Cabinet Build: I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #320 on: July 26, 2018, 08:47:36 pm »
Are you painting or staining this thing?  There are a few ways to cover it up.  For something that size I may glue a triangle block in there and sand the seam.  Putty will not be so great but who knows.

Also, for next time, all of your front facing panels should hang over by 1/8" or 1/4".  It's just cleaner that way.

obizues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
« Reply #321 on: July 26, 2018, 09:16:28 pm »
Are you painting or staining this thing?  There are a few ways to cover it up.  For something that size I may glue a triangle block in there and sand the seam.  Putty will not be so great but who knows.

Also, for next time, all of your front facing panels should hang over by 1/8" or 1/4".  It's just cleaner that way.

Hang over?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #322 on: July 26, 2018, 09:20:52 pm »

Hang over?

It looks like the panel with the coin door exactly meets the bottom panel at 90 degrees.  The coin door panel should be extended by 1/8" to 1/4" to completely hide the bottom panel.  Same thing with the front panel of your CP because your design has everything inset.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #323 on: July 26, 2018, 09:23:19 pm »

It looks like the panel with the coin door exactly meets the bottom panel at 90 degrees.  The coin door panel should be extended by 1/8" to 1/4" to completely hide the bottom panel.  Same thing with the front panel of your CP because your design has everything inset.

Sorry I’m missing something. Do you have a picture describing it?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #324 on: July 26, 2018, 09:40:48 pm »
Crappy drawing attached.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #325 on: July 26, 2018, 09:56:41 pm »
Crappy drawing attached.

Yeah that was the plan. Then wood happened.

Completely get it, but at least I’m making my mistakes on the back and bottom right?  Right?!  (Hades.gif

Anyways, thank you for the feedback!

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #326 on: July 29, 2018, 10:27:45 pm »
She’s standing on her new wheels and she’s got a base primer/paint job.

I accidentally painted over my center cut line for the speakers on the right side, but I left the other side.

What do people use for hinges for their exposed back doors?  I looked at getting some hidden hinges but it may be more trouble than it’s worth.

Thoughts anyone?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2018, 10:10:50 am »
Wait, you are painting this thing?  Why did you buy decent plywood instead of some crappy stuff if you are covering it anyway?  This changes a lot.  Why care about wood putty blending in?  Why are you even using wood putty?  Are you using a sealant for your primer like Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3?  I hope so or you will never get rid of the grain - the paint will soak in over time.

You want "inset cabinet hinges" - there are tons of different ones to choose from but all do the same thing. 

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2018, 10:38:34 am »
Wait, you are painting this thing?  Why did you buy decent plywood instead of some crappy stuff if you are covering it anyway?  This changes a lot.  Why care about wood putty blending in?  Why are you even using wood putty?  Are you using a sealant for your primer like Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3?  I hope so or you will never get rid of the grain - the paint will soak in over time.

You want "inset cabinet hinges" - there are tons of different ones to choose from but all do the same thing.

:laugh2:  I will have artwork on it as well.

Parts of the cabinet's wood will still be exposed, other parts will not be because it will have graphics over it.  To also be honest I was still figuring out what I was doing from an art perspective as I was building.

I think the big confusion between me and everyone else in this forum was that this was my first "real" woodworking project, so learning about things and doing things that may be "unnecessary" were things I wanted to do from a learning perspective.

That being said, most of my concern around the wood putty was on the back which won't have art.. but also won't be seen.  Learning experience. :)

That being said I didn't think about using sealant for getting rid of the grain, I'm not sure if I even care if I do to be honest.  We will see how it goes.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #329 on: July 30, 2018, 11:23:51 am »

:laugh2:  I will have artwork on it as well.

Parts of the cabinet's wood will still be exposed, other parts will not be because it will have graphics over it.  To also be honest I was still figuring out what I was doing from an art perspective as I was building.

I think the big confusion between me and everyone else in this forum was that this was my first "real" woodworking project, so learning about things and doing things that may be "unnecessary" were things I wanted to do from a learning perspective.

That being said, most of my concern around the wood putty was on the back which won't have art.. but also won't be seen.  Learning experience. :)

That being said I didn't think about using sealant for getting rid of the grain, I'm not sure if I even care if I do to be honest.  We will see how it goes.

I would buy the good primer for this project.  It will be the difference between it looking nice and looking very homemade.  It's the same amount of effort so no reason not to.  Unless you like the wood grain showing through - there's no accounting for taste.  Alternatively, you could print full-sized art to cover the entire surface.  Lots of things you can do but painting straight away over grain doesn't seem like one of them.

For future reference, wood putty is to fill in small gaps in hardwood/plywood because you are planning on staining it (or just using some poly or oil or whatever to finish it).  You WANT to see the grain in that instance so you hope the color of the wood putty will blend in enough to not draw your eye.  For projects that you paint you are much better off using something like Bondo.  It dries rock hard and you can fill really large gaps - people around here have rebuilt water damaged bases/corners for restoration projects using a TON of the stuff.  It sands smooth and takes paint so you never see it.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2018, 11:30:58 am »

I would buy the good primer for this project.  It will be the difference between it looking nice and looking very homemade.  It's the same amount of effort so no reason not to.  Unless you like the wood grain showing through - there's no accounting for taste.  Alternatively, you could print full-sized art to cover the entire surface.  Lots of things you can do but painting straight away over grain doesn't seem like one of them.

For future reference, wood putty is to fill in small gaps in hardwood/plywood because you are planning on staining it (or just using some poly or oil or whatever to finish it).  You WANT to see the grain in that instance so you hope the color of the wood putty will blend in enough to not draw your eye.  For projects that you paint you are much better off using something like Bondo.  It dries rock hard and you can fill really large gaps - people around here have rebuilt water damaged bases/corners for restoration projects using a TON of the stuff.  It sands smooth and takes paint so you never see it.

I’ve been using Rustoleum painter and primer, but I’m assuming that isn’t the “good stuff.”

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2018, 11:36:25 am »
Rustoleum is OK.  Is it the paint and primer in one?  You will need to put on a lot of coats (3-4 minimum).

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:29 pm »
Rustoleum is OK.  Is it the paint and primer in one?  You will need to put on a lot of coats (3-4 minimum).

Yeah, I’m two coats in right now.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2018, 09:41:55 pm »
Started on my control panel to switch things up.

Then I got my arbor stuck on my hole dozer..  :hissy:

How far do people recess the wood for sanwa arcade sticks and the Happ trackball underneath?

Bottom of trackball:

Has anyone tried printing off a clear housing for the cover of the Happ trackball for LED lights?

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:05:51 pm
« Reply #334 on: August 02, 2018, 07:40:30 am »
for my joysticks (zippyy and chinese cheapo ones) i've never routed out, used 12mm mdf for the control panel, the shaft, including balltop, protrudes 55mm above the control panel, more than enough for me grab hold of  ;D

cant help with the trackball as i've never installed one, only games i would use one for might be marble madness or missile command. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:44:56 am by firedance »

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:55 am »
for my joysticks (zippyy and chinese cheapo ones) i've never routed out, used 12mm mdf for the control panel, the shaft, including balltop, protrudes 55mm above the control panel, more than enough for me grab hold of  ;D

cant help with the trackball as i've never installed one, only games i would use one for might be marble madness or missile command.

Yeah I’m using a piece of 3/4” plywood for the control panel since that’s what I used on the rest of the cab.

Is 12mm just a number that worked for you, or is that based on some sort of standardization?  I’ve looked on slagcoin and they have some measurements but I can’t make out what I’m looking at in some of them... most likely because they are older.

I’ve also found a link here for the “diamond” pattern to cutout the Happ trackball, but I’m not sure if that’s what I have (diamond) or if it’s a new shape now.

It looks like it “could” be if I make a rough red outline... but I’m not sure.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2018, 09:39:39 am »
Do you have a trackball mounting plate?  If so you:

- mark where the trackball goes
- flip the mounting plate upside down and trace the perimeter making sure it is centered
- route out 1/16" or whatever the thickness of the plate is for the area you just traced
- mark off the 4 screw/post locations in the corners of the recessed area
- drill out the holes in the corners that you just marked
- rough cut the hole for the trackball to fit into but don't go near the holes.
- install mounting plate threading the posts through the corner holes
- using bondo or spackle or whatever, fill in the edges around the mounting plate and sand flush
- attach trackball to mounting plate

This only works if you are covering your CP with artwork.  Otherwise there is a lot more complicated routing to figure out without using the mounting plate.

Like this: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,90467.msg1258905.html#msg1258905 (holes for mounting plate posts aren't drilled yet but you should be able to understand what I'm talking about).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:43:18 am by javeryh »

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2018, 01:01:03 pm »
Do you have a trackball mounting plate?  If so you:

- mark where the trackball goes
- flip the mounting plate upside down and trace the perimeter making sure it is centered
- route out 1/16" or whatever the thickness of the plate is for the area you just traced
- mark off the 4 screw/post locations in the corners of the recessed area
- drill out the holes in the corners that you just marked
- rough cut the hole for the trackball to fit into but don't go near the holes.
- install mounting plate threading the posts through the corner holes
- using bondo or spackle or whatever, fill in the edges around the mounting plate and sand flush
- attach trackball to mounting plate

This only works if you are covering your CP with artwork.  Otherwise there is a lot more complicated routing to figure out without using the mounting plate.

Like this: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,90467.msg1258905.html#msg1258905 (holes for mounting plate posts aren't drilled yet but you should be able to understand what I'm talking about).

I don’t have a mounting plate... it also looks like my trackball is a different shape... or am I just crazy?

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2018, 01:05:33 pm »
This guy?

I assume I can under mount it, but what are all those screws for?

The Happ only has 4... I’m not sure how his would work with that.

I’d you know any projects that have pictures of mounting the type I have that would be very helpful!

Edit: I guess I just don’t understand the point of the plate.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:07:04 pm by obizues »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2018, 01:13:23 pm »
4 around the circle bolt the TB to the plate. the outside 4 bolt the plate to the panel.  I'll find mine when I get home and snap a pic.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »
4 around the circle bolt the TB to the plate. the outside 4 bolt the plate to the panel.  I'll find mine when I get home and snap a pic.

Thanks!

Did you do 1/16 under-mounting for the joysticks and TB?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2018, 01:44:38 pm »
It was from reverting an Golden Tee back to an MK3, but I do have a trackball hacked to a mouse mounted to the plate in case I ever decide to make a trackball cab.  I have so.many.parts. Ive been giving and throwing away piles of stuff over the last 2 years.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2018, 01:46:05 pm »
It was from reverting an Golden Tee back to an MK3, but I do have a trackball hacked to a mouse mounted to the plate in case I ever decide to make a trackball cab.  I have so.many.parts. Ive been giving and throwing away piles of stuff over the last 2 years.

Any idea what the standard under mount width is?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2018, 02:24:42 pm »

Any idea what the standard under mount width is?

The lip around the trackball in the pic you posted is exactly flush with the mounting plate.  You are supposed to top mount with the plate, however plenty of people have under-mounted it and then used a chamfer bit on the 3"hole.  Again, it's all personal preference.  To me, the plate is a much easier solution. 

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2018, 02:29:26 pm »

The lip around the trackball in the pic you posted is exactly flush with the mounting plate.  You are supposed to top mount with the plate, however plenty of people have under-mounted it and then used a chamfer bit on the 3"hole.  Again, it's all personal preference.  To me, the plate is a much easier solution.

What about the joysticks that I posted?  Shouldn't the metal plates go under?

Edit: Also, if you put the plate on the top of the CP, wouldn't that make the CP "unsmooth" on the top even if you put artwork over it?  Unless you routed the top down the width of the plate itself?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 02:31:20 pm by obizues »

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:05:51 pm
« Reply #345 on: August 02, 2018, 02:35:58 pm »
 Sorry should have said, the 12mm is the thickness of MDF I used for all my builds, keeps the weight down as they are all Bartops.

If u click the links in my signature there should be a few pictures of the underside of the control panel, had no trouble with mounting the joysticks like this and they have had a lot of use  ;D

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #346 on: August 02, 2018, 02:44:02 pm »
Sorry should have said, the 12mm is the thickness of MDF I used for all my builds, keeps the weight down as they are all Bartops.

If u click the links in my signature there should be a few pictures of the underside of the control panel, had no trouble with mounting the joysticks like this and they have had a lot of use  ;D

Thanks!  Looks like that's almost half my board I would need to bring down with a router.

Does anyone know what kind of mounting plate I should use with this trackball?  It's a HAPP 3" but it doesn't say on the site if it's a high-ball or what plates I should use with it...?

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/controls/trackballs-spinners/1842_3-diameter-happ-trackball-with-harness-black-solid?search_query=3%22+DIAMETER+HAPP+TRACKBALL+WITH+HARNESS%2C+BLACK+SOLID&results=1141&

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #347 on: August 02, 2018, 02:55:21 pm »

What about the joysticks that I posted?  Shouldn't the metal plates go under?

Edit: Also, if you put the plate on the top of the CP, wouldn't that make the CP "unsmooth" on the top even if you put artwork over it?  Unless you routed the top down the width of the plate itself?

Joysticks are fine to undermount because the shaft sticks through the top.  The length obviously depends on if you recess the plates underneath or not.  If you do, you may end up with an issue holding them in place unless you are OK with the 4 screws showing on top.

If you refer to my post earlier, you would have to route out material the same thickness as the plate and then bondo the perimeter and sand it smooth before applying art.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #348 on: August 02, 2018, 03:01:06 pm »
Joysticks are fine to undermount because the shaft sticks through the top.  The length obviously depends on if you recess the plates underneath or not.  If you do, you may end up with an issue holding them in place unless you are OK with the 4 screws showing on top.

If you refer to my post earlier, you would have to route out material the same thickness as the plate and then bondo the perimeter and sand it smooth before applying art.

I guess what I'm asking is how much board is between the plate and the trackball top?  If I make the trackball plate flush with the wood.. how close to the face of the control panel should the top square be?

Edit: Nevermind, found your thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119081.msg1261379.html#msg1261379

One more note for myself:

As Abomination said, I'd go with getting a mounting kit, routing 1/16 of an inch (the thickness of the mounting plate) under the art.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:50:11 pm by obizues »

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: August 02, 2018, 03:51:01 pm »
If i do a flush mount for a trackball, will the screws not stick out further than the flush mount?  IE: how do i make sure the heads of the screws don't push up on the artwork?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2018, 05:10:39 pm »
If i do a flush mount for a trackball, will the screws not stick out further than the flush mount?  IE: how do i make sure the heads of the screws don't push up on the artwork?

You would want to countersink holes (if they aren’t already) in the mounting plate.  Check out bperkins Lakeside Arcade he just went through the Happ trackball mounting experience and posted pictures and explanations:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156272.120.html

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2018, 05:35:10 pm »

You would want to countersink holes (if they aren’t already) in the mounting plate.  Check out bperkins Lakeside Arcade he just went through the Happ trackball mounting experience and posted pictures and explanations:

[url=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156272.120.html]http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156272.120.html[/URL]

:notworthy:

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2018, 10:16:25 pm »
Started the control panel.

Does anyone have a good guide for how to mount the joysticks? 

Couple questions I need answers to:

• How much wood do I leave between the joystick plate and the top of the CP?
  • Is there a way to create a pilot drill hole that exact length and then route it without using a plunge router?

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #353 on: August 02, 2018, 11:12:36 pm »
You can check out post 80 from my build:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.80.html

I had pics of mockups I did back on page 1.

I think I routed down about half the thickness of the wood.  So I left somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8".  You should mock it up and test for your preference to make sure you have enough stick coming through.  I used threaded inserts for the mounting bars in case they need to be removed.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: August 02, 2018, 11:50:53 pm »
You can check out post 80 from my build:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.80.html

I had pics of mockups I did back on page 1.

I think I routed down about half the thickness of the wood.  So I left somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8".  You should mock it up and test for your preference to make sure you have enough stick coming through.  I used threaded inserts for the mounting bars in case they need to be removed.

It’s hard to see what you did there. Did you use a plunge router?  That seems to be my biggest problem right now.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2018, 01:33:12 am »
Noticed you referenced Slag Coin in some previous posts for button layout.  They also have recommendations for mounting height and mounting options. Looks like you have a Sanwa JLW.  According to Slag Coin: “Sanwa joysticks are generally mounted with 23mm-24mm of shaft between the top of the control panel and the bottom of the ball top, in a 24mm hole”.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html#SANWA

As for how to achieve that, they have listed many examples including using various mounting plates:

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/mounting_layering.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:42:41 pm by Arroyo »

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2018, 07:48:13 am »
Noticed you referenced Slag Coin in some previous posts for button layout.  They also have recommendations for mounting height and mounting options. Looks like you have a Sanwa JLW.  According to Slag Coin: “Sanwa joysticks are generally mounted with 23mm-24mm of shaft between the top of the control panel and the bottom of the ball top, in a 24mm hole”.

[url=http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html#SANWA]http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html#SANWA[/URL]

As for how to achieve that, they have listed many examples including using various mounting plates:

[url=http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/mounting_layering.html]http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/mounting_layering.html[/URL]

For whatever reason I’m just confused.

Are the “mounting plates” different from the metal plates that came with the joysticks in my picture?

I assume I need a plunge router, cut out the rectangle, put in the joystick with 23-24mm from the top of the CP.

Do I need to put a plate in flush on the CP too?

Can I only cut into the wood with a plunge router? (I don’t have one)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #357 on: August 03, 2018, 09:04:50 am »
Are the “mounting plates” different from the metal plates that came with the joysticks in my picture?

I assume I need a plunge router, cut out the rectangle, put in the joystick with 23-24mm from the top of the CP.

You don’t have to have a plunge router, a standard router will work.

Do I need to put a plate in flush on the CP too?

Can I only cut into the wood with a plunge router? (I don’t have one)

The link I sent shows MANY different options.  First fork on the road is to layer or not to layer panels, (meaning one piece of wood, or more than one).  Next and somewhat in conjunction is to keep the original shaft or buy a longer one.

I’ll assume since you’ve started cutting already that you want to stick with your 3/4” panel.  I’ll also assume you want to stick with your standard shaft. 

If you want to follow slag coins suggestion of 23-24mm of space from the bottom of the ball and the top of the control panel like this:

Then your mounting plate will need to be close to the surface.  Although I don’t know the exact measurements for the JLW, you will probably need to have your mounting plate be close to 1/4” below the top of your control panel.  This can make it awkward.  You can route out your wood in the shape of your  mounting plate from the bottom until you about 1/4” of wood left and screw from the top. Problems with this are you have screws on top and only 1/4” of wood to support the joystick, probably enough but if someone pushed down hard on the joystick perhaps it could break the wood.
Other option might be to buy an “S” plate:

This allows you to get the joystick close to the surface but your screws will grab more wood and they won’t be visible from the top. EDIT:  you will still have to route from the bottom the portion of the “S” plate that is buried in the wood.  See pic above.

You could also route out from the top down roughly 1/4”.  This would leave you with more wood for support and get rid of the visible screws, but you would have to cut an additional piece of wood to fill in the hole in the wood.  This would need to match the hole well, or else the wood may move around during play.  It would also make the joystick difficult/impossible (without breaking something) to access if you needed to replace.

EDIT:  you don’t need a plunge router.  Just practice lowering your router bit into wood to the desired depth.  Your router should have the abiltity to lower accurately with maybe a screw down function and measure the depth you are lowering.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:18:08 am by Arroyo »

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2018, 09:57:07 am »

The link I sent shows MANY different options.
I want to do a bottom mount

I’ll assume since you’ve started cutting already that you want to stick with your 3/4” panel.  I’ll also assume you want to stick with your standard shaft. 
Correct

Other option might be to buy an “S” plate:
This is exactly what I want to do!  Any recommendations on where to get it?  Or should everyone have it?

EDIT:  you don’t need a plunge router.  Just practice lowering your router bit into wood to the desired depth.  Your router should have the abiltity to lower accurately with maybe a screw down function and measure the depth you are lowering.
This scares the hell out of me but I can try it when I get home tonight.   ;)

Edit: Looks like this:
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/hardware/mounting-plates/paradise-universal-plates/1278_universal-s-arcade-joystick-adapter-plate
should work.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:59:19 am by obizues »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2018, 12:11:12 pm »
This scares the hell out of me but I can try it when I get home tonight.   ;)

To be clear, I don’t mean turning on the router with an exposed moving bit and then lowering down the whole router (that can be dangerous, although I’ve done it ).  Rather I mean practice using your bit lowering mechanism, (mines a hand twist screw with measurements) while keeping the router stationary on the wood surface. 

Edit: Looks like this:
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/hardware/mounting-plates/paradise-universal-plates/1278_universal-s-arcade-joystick-adapter-plate
should work.

Yup that’s the one I was going to recommend.

By the way the simplest thing would be to buy a longer shaft and mount to the bottom.  A lot of people do this and avoid routing all together.