Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TV Philips 21PT5507/58 or TV Philips 21PT4416/01? (CRT Emudriver and GroovyMAME)  (Read 2575 times)

scarty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2019, 11:28:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Which (and why) TV is better for CRT Emudriver and GroovyMAME: TV Philips 21PT5507/58 or TV Philips 21PT4416/01? Both are European models.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Assuming they both take RGBS through the SCART port, neither takes component or S-video, both have the remote, and you can find the service manual and are sure you can get into the service menu to make adjustments to geometry and so forth on both of them, I'd go the 21PT4416/01. It has a curved screen, and I like a curved screen. And flatscreen CRT's tend to have more geometry problems.

scarty

• Offline Offline
I like a curved screen too. What are TTL-level sync?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
What are TTL-level sync?

Transistor-transistor logic level sync. Means whatever you're talking about it can handle a 5V sync level, though i'm not sure if that refers to DC offset or a full 5V peak-to-peak (5Vp-p). And it might also handle standard -0.3Vp-p as well. Where is this information coming from, and what's it referring to? The two TV's in your OP are consumer models, and so will work with the SCART standard sync level (0.3Vp-p) output by gaming consoles. Arcade hardware or PC's might need some slight adjustment.

scarty

• Offline Offline
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156761.0.html
In this topic you wrote: "The only issue might be if your TV doesn't like TTL-level sync."

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
The two Philips sets you're picking between are consumer-grade. They will take SCART level sync (-0.3Vp-p) from a console or similar, and a bit beyond. They may not take TTL-level sync. Anything that does output TTL sync, like a PC or an arcade board, can be fed through something like an extron 190F or USMA or similar, and have the levels changed. You just need a way to get the singal into the SCART port on the tv.

scarty

• Offline Offline
Thanks! I wonder if there are tv brands that we should rather avoid. For instance JVC, Panasonic, Samsung or Sanyo...
Those Philips tv's I mentioned above haven't original remotes. Is it possible to get into the service menu with some universal/replacement remote?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:02:41 pm by scarty »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
Thanks! I wonder if there are tv brands that we should rather avoid. For instance JVC, Panasonic, Samsung or Sanyo...
Those Philips tv's I mentioned above haven't original remotes. Is it possible to get into the service menu with some universal/replacement remote?

You can also look at remote apps for your phone, if it has an IR diode. Either that or a universal remote might work, but the odds are not fantastic. Google as much as you can first.

Any name brand set is good, but NEC, panasonic, JVC, Sony, Blaupunkt, Grundig, B&O are all very nice. Sanyo and Samsung are almost as good.