Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PS2 Guncon2 PCB to Original Namco Arcade Gun mod  (Read 1432 times)

mR_CaESaR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2022, 10:16:46 pm
PS2 Guncon2 PCB to Original Namco Arcade Gun mod
« on: May 04, 2018, 09:39:21 am »
Has anyone here by any chance modded their Namco arcade gun to work with a guncon2 for ps2?

I would love a time crisis cab or a point blank cab, but unfortunately, I just don't have the room or can afford one at present.

The next best thing is to mod my astro city to play ps2 namco light gun games!

Enter my inspiration

I'm now in the process of trying to begin this mode, but before I worry about the solenoid, first things first is to "convert" the Namco gun for the PS2 using the gcon2 pcb!

Looking at the video, it seems pretty "easy" in terms of wiring up the +5v, GND, optical line and trigger line and the gcon2 works with the "namco" optical component without any "mods"

Sourced out a gcon2

Taking it apart is pretty self explanatory and I ended up with the main PCB

Using the trusty multi meter, I found what I believe to be the trigger wire

The GND and +5v

And what I believe is the Optical line

Note, I have removed the optical sensor from the PCB

I connected the following:

• +5v from the gcon2 pcb to the +5v line of the namco gun (goes to the optical sensor - red)
  • GND from the gcon2 pcb to the GND line of the namco gun (goes to the trigger micro switch and optical sensor - black)
  • Optical sensor line from the gcon2 pcb to the Optical sensor line of the namco gun (white)
  • Trigger line from the gcon2 to the trigger line of the namco gun (blue)
I'm not sure if there's anything else that I've missed, but for the life of me, I can't work out why the namco gun doesn't work. The video appears to show it should work seamlessly but when I try and calibrate the Namco gun on the PS2 (gcon2 calibration screen), nothing registers.

The PS2 definitely recognises the gcon2 and it did work prior to removing the shell and sensor.

I'm hoping someone on here has previously done this type of mod or is very familiar with the gcon.

Any ideas or suggestions?