Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AutoCAD: How to Line Up two lines without changing their length  (Read 3314 times)

obizues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
Disclaimer: I'm not sure where to put this question since software seems to be about the front end, maybe woodworking, maybe artwork?  Please feel free to move this if you are a mod to a more appropriate place.

I'm trying to make an AutoCAD version of my cabinet design and put it together "virtually" before actually doing any sort of cutting.  The problem is I don't know AutoCAD very well and haven't used it in years.

I'm trying to get two lines to connect at their endpoints exactly, but I need help finding the correct angle to do so.  Does AutoCAD have a built-in feature to do this for me?  It seems like it would be a common problem.

Here's what I'm trying to connect WITHOUT changing the length of either line.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: AutoCAD: How to Line Up two lines without changing their length
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:30:18 pm »
I'm trying to get two lines to connect at their endpoints exactly, but I need help finding the correct angle to do so.  Does AutoCAD have a built-in feature to do this for me?  It seems like it would be a common problem.
Not sure if there is a feature like that in AUTOCAD, but you can use two circles to find the two locations where the endpoints can meet.

Scott

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:32:27 pm »
Thank you!  This should work great!

I’m surprised this isn’t an automatically computed feature, maybe I’ll make an add-on for it, it wouldn’t be too hard to find the only shared point on two circles- although it’s probably an O^2 problem.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:09 pm »
it wouldn’t be too hard to find the only shared point on two circles
The only time that there's only one shared point is when the two radii form a straight line.   ::)

Scott

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:08:31 pm »
ok - that's cool.  I had this problem in Sketchup..  Don't remember how I resolved it..  But this makes perfect sense.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:30:28 pm »
I tried using sketch up but it wouldn’t let me extrude my 2D lines. I’m guessing that’s behind the paywall?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:29 pm »
Over the years I had tried so many CAD and CAD like packages - Turbo CAD, Auto Cad, 3D Home Architect..  a bunch of them  and I never got it..  I tried Sketchup a while back and didn't get it ..
Then I found a book - Sketchup for Woodworkers and fought my way through the learning curve and have drawn up some pretty nice stuff (My Cabinet, Furniture - nothing too complicated)  also - a guy on Youtube Jay Bates provided just enough for me to 'get it'.

I think you are talking about the 'push/pull' tool in sketchup to take something that is 2D and 'pull' it to 3D.
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10:57:29 pm »
Yeah, I tried to pull a 2D drawn image but it wouldn’t let me with the free version. It also won’t let you save files external to its cloud without paying.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:36:17 am »
I designed my cabinet with the free version - but not the web version.  They just changed their model to web based.  But you can download Sketchup Make and install it on a pc and do everything you would want for cabinet design..

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 10:57:46 am »
You can still download Sketchup Make 2017, and it is very robust with nearly every tool in the latest pro version, and 100% free.  You have to do a little digging to find it though, they won't take you directly to the link when you click download.  And I think you still have to do the 30 day free trial of 2017 pro before the regular "make" version starts working, but 2017 pro drawings will work in the "make" version.  However, 2018 stuff you do on the free trial or on the free web version will not work in 2017.

And all the sketchup versions will let you do a pull, you just have to make sure your outline is 100% connected at all points.  If there is a gap (like in your autocad drawing above) you can't do a pull, and it won't tell you why, it just won't work. 

Although sketchup is a relatively easy tool, it is so different from other CAD software that it has a steep learning curve.  Once you get past it, it gets super easy to use.  VERY good to use for woodworking projects.

obizues

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 11:46:04 am »
Thanks!  That’s helpful!