Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver Install (reinstall) with ATI Radeon 7000  (Read 3094 times)

imtrashed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 02:47:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver Install (reinstall) with ATI Radeon 7000
« on: April 29, 2018, 03:28:49 pm »
I have this card:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064GAYK/
ATI Radeon 7000
Trying to install CRT Emudriver on Windows 7 64-bit.  I actually have it installed on this PC for a different card, but I needed S-Video support, so I'm trying to get this new card working.  Actually booted up to Windows on my CRT TV no problem, with picture, but I get a SwitchRes error that no modes listed or something.  I wanted to do a fresh install, but now I'm wondering if this card is even supported.  When I get to Setup, no compatible devices listed. And I can't seem to change the driver.  Still says Standard VGA and Windows wants to use that.  Any input? 

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: CRT Emudriver Install (reinstall) with ATI Radeon 7000
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:54:38 pm »
The Radeon 7000 was launched in 2001. I had a huge fringe back then. It won't work on 7, you need XP to support that old card.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:34:59 pm »
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:16:37 am »
The Radeon 7000 was launched in 2001. I had a huge fringe back then. It won't work on 7, you need XP to support that old card.
Thanks for the reply.  How can I get my PC to output to a CRT with either component or S-video inputs?  If not this card, then what could I work with?  I have this card also (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X6ABTM/), ATI Radeon HD6450, which has VGA, DVI, and HDMI outputs, and I tried VGA out to this transcoder (https://www.ebay.com/itm/192116647418), but it is not working (no color on screen).  Any other options? 

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:53:08 am »
The transcoder is the right path. Maybe that one is faulty, I don't know. Check your TV menu and double check the AV settings are in the right mode.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:26:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  How can I get my PC to output to a CRT with either component or S-video inputs?  If not this card, then what could I work with?  I have this card also (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X6ABTM/), ATI Radeon HD6450, which has VGA, DVI, and HDMI outputs, and I tried VGA out to this transcoder (https://www.ebay.com/itm/192116647418), but it is not working (no color on screen).  Any other options?

That transcoder is just that, it's not a scaler. You have to put 15kHz/480i/240p into it in order to get 15kHz out of it. So, you have installed crt_emudriver for the HD6450, yes? And it's installed and working, and you've followed the guide for the 5450 (or newer) card on Calamity's site, remembering that the analog 0 port is probably the DVI-I one so you need to change the EDID emulation to analog 1 or get a DVI-to-VGA adapter? And nothing comes up on screen. Do you have an LCD TV with component inputs you could try? A lot of slightly new LCD TV's won't take 15kHz through the component inputs, I believe.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:43:59 am »

That transcoder is just that, it's not a scaler. You have to put 15kHz/480i/240p into it in order to get 15kHz out of it. So, you have installed crt_emudriver for the HD6450, yes? And it's installed and working, and you've followed the guide for the 5450 (or newer) card on Calamity's site, remembering that the analog 0 port is probably the DVI-I one so you need to change the EDID emulation to analog 1 or get a DVI-to-VGA adapter? And nothing comes up on screen. Do you have an LCD TV with component inputs you could try? A lot of slightly new LCD TV's won't take 15kHz through the component inputs, I believe.
I get picture with the transcoder hooked up, but I do not get color.  I think it's an issue with the transcoder, but the seller/maker said that it is working correctly.  I'll continue to tinker with it. 

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:39 pm »
I get picture with the transcoder hooked up, but I do not get color.  I think it's an issue with the transcoder, but the seller/maker said that it is working correctly.  I'll continue to tinker with it.

Ah, i took your post the wrong way. A black and white picture means Y and Sync are fine (the green coloured connector) but the colour difference channels are not. Can you get a multimerer on the Pb (blue coloured) and Pr (red coloured) plugs? Put up a bright screen of a single colour, then one of a totally different colour or even black, and the voltages on those lines should change, I believe. Obviously those aren't red and blue signal lines, but you should see some change. Also, failing a different PC VGA source at 15kHz, you could try using a different PC set to 640x480p, and very briefly plug it into the TV to see if there's any colour. That should give you an idea if the transcoder is working.

I'd love to hear what the problem actually is, if you do sort it out.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:07:51 am by buttersoft »