Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Definitive way to wire a fused socket switch?  (Read 5094 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Definitive way to wire a fused socket switch?
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:48:14 pm »
As with many MAME cabinets these days I have one of these:

I am reading about how to wire up one of these to a power strip, but there everywhere I look there are people giving conflicting instructions on how to wire them up. I'm trying to get to the bottom and understand the proper way to do it, so the light works, the fuse works, and it is safe.

First I came across this video by GameRoomSolutions.com, an Arcade cabinet vendor:

He says to wire it up like this (which is from the BYOAC wiki I think):

But then the very first YouTube comment:

You have made it actually more complicated than necessary, and potentially unsafe.

You only need to switch the hot/black. You should NEVER have the common/white on a switch. Remove that little white jumper. Wire the white from the power bar directly to the socket terminal. And make sure the black is feeding through the fuse.

Okay, so this video is from what appears to be a reputable arcade cabinet vendor but is he accidentally giving everyone unsafe instructions? Was the diagram from the BYOAC Wiki potentially unsafe? In the same list of comments I see a link to these instructions:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wire-Up-a-Fused-AC-Male-Power-Socket/

I then I see this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=147423.0

In which there are conflicting instructions from various people too.

This guy here wired it up following the instructables diagram and he says it works:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=132089.0

So.... which is the correct way? Is the diagram from the wiki unsafe? Is the instructable version correct? The diagram from the wiki appears to bypass the fuse altogether, which I don't think is safe, but the instructable diagram appears to use the fuse correctly if I am understanding it correctly.

Can anyone shed light on this? I don't want to hear opinions. I want to know what is the correct way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:52:02 pm by Jakobud »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:16:00 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Definitive way to wire a fused socket switch?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 05:59:40 pm »
First I came across this video by GameRoomSolutions.com, an Arcade cabinet vendor:

He says to wire it up like this (which is from the BYOAC wiki I think):

But then the very first YouTube comment:

You have made it actually more complicated than necessary, and potentially unsafe.

You only need to switch the hot/black. You should NEVER have the common/white on a switch. Remove that little white jumper. Wire the white from the power bar directly to the socket terminal. And make sure the black is feeding through the fuse.

Okay, so this video is from what appears to be a reputable arcade cabinet vendor but is he accidentally giving everyone unsafe instructions? Was the diagram from the BYOAC Wiki potentially unsafe?
1. The video only gives part of the info available in the Wiki (backup copy here) and assumes that the rocker switch will always be installed in the same orientation.

When the rocker is turned 180 degrees, the lamp leads -- visible on the black and white "Load" tabs -- are on the other side which causes the lamp to be always on since it is before the switch. (one of the YouTube commenters complains about encountering this problem)

2. The YouTube commenter is correct about not switching Neutral for most applications.

https://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/switching-neutral-ok
TL;DR summary.
Grounded and neutral conductors generally must not be switched; doing so can be dangerous.

Electrical best practice is to avoid switching Neutral, but for this application it is not dangerous.

So.... which is the correct way? Is the diagram from the wiki unsafe? Is the instructable version correct? The diagram from the wiki appears to bypass the fuse altogether, which I don't think is safe, but the instructable diagram appears to use the fuse correctly if I am understanding it correctly.
The picture from the Wiki is wired the same as the Instructable diagram.  "Power to cab" (Wiki) = "Load" (Instructable)

The Wiki and Instructable methods are not inherently unsafe.

Electrically it's the same as unplugging the power strip while leaving a ground attached to the computer and monitor.

That said, there is a slightly more safe way to wire the power inlet that might be needed in a very few, very rare, edge cases.

Tab labels:

Original wiring diagram: 

To keep the lamp working and still wire it in the slightly more safe way suggested by the YouTube commenter, daisy-chain from 1 to B to White (Neutral) wire of the power strip in the cab.

Slightly more safe wiring diagram: 

Once wiki access is restored, I'll update it to include this slightly more safe way to wire the 4-tab switches.
(3-tab switches are already wired this way)

Scott

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:47:57 pm »
What is the size of the quick disconnects I need that go on to the blades? I can't find that info anywhere. TIA

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:47:57 am »
What is the size of the quick disconnects I need that go on to the blades?
They should be 0.250" IIRC.

Scott

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 11:41:28 am »
I've wired up a ton of these without issue:

Ultimate Vertical:

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 09:14:40 pm »
First of all I spent 20 min troubleshooting why my switches were not getting any power yesterday and tried different wiring variations. Then finally realized my switches did not come with fuses in them. :-)

Second, can anyone explain the reason for the difference in these two wiring setups:

vs.

Definitely some differences there.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 10:19:26 pm »
can anyone explain the reason for the difference in these two wiring setups:
The difference is that one runs Neutral through tabs A/B and Hot through tabs C/D like the diagram below.

The other runs runs Neutral through tabs C/D and Hot through tabs A/B.

It doesn't matter which pole of the DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) switch is Neutral and which pole is Hot as long as the wire connected to A matches the wire connected to B and the wire connected to C matches the wire connected to D.

Don't worry if the physical layout looks different -- just match the electrical layout and you'll be good to go.   ;D

Scott

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 12:54:00 am »
Got it working tonight. Thanks for your help! I wish the wiki was working :-( Anything we can do to help?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 01:48:29 am »
Got it working tonight. Thanks for your help!
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

I wish the wiki was working :-( Anything we can do to help?
For now, there's the archive.org backup that covers many of the wiki pages.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150928061832/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=Wiring#IEC_Fused_Power_Inlet_with_a_Lighted_Switch

There's nothing you or I can do on the wiki until Saint gives Malenko access to fix the server configuration.

Scott

rave0035

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 09:20:07 pm »
Don't worry if the physical layout looks different -- just match the electrical layout and you'll be good to go.   ;D
Great advice.  It's always tricky to wire something based on a photo... too easy to make a big mistake if your unit has a different layout.

Find a reliable wiring diagram like the one above.  If you're messing with line voltage and you can't read a wiring diagram, take some time to stop and learn before you start stripping wires.  It's not too hard!

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.