Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wall mounted bar arcade challenge.  (Read 3424 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wall mounted bar arcade challenge.
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:17:21 pm »
Hello all,firstly id like to apologize for what might seem like lazy initial research on my behalf but ive come up with an idea and im on a very tight schedule.
I have a bar and after years of wanting to put an arcade cab in it,hunting for one has proved fruitless,and the time effort and cost of making one only for it  to get beat to crap isnt appealing.
I fell upon a post of wall mounted cabs and the idea grew.A free drink for beating the high score.a small 19 inch lcd,a handful of vertical classics.
But to be more appealing i wanted gameplay to be a bit more entertaining to all so...i have an old 42inch plasma.bolted straight to the wall.eye bolts in the back and hooks in the wall.a simple frame around it,nice big marquee,and bezel mounted over it.of course the size of the screen means the cp cant be underneath.so i want to make a sort of simple half coctail high barstool height.to run from the wall to controls.topped with a glass surface to overhang and protect the stick and buttons from spillages.
i have an old stick and some buttons,a pi and all the hardware already.
 straight off to be clear,i have no intention of it being a money making venture before you think it,but my plan maybe does sit in a grey area.i researched custom tokens and they are not in the price i am comfortable with.someone suggested one of the comparative coin mechs.i can get hold of a load of old 25 peseta coins which are a bit original looking.anyone who asks can have one in there change(free) with any purchase and have a pop.i dont want someone just sitting there on free play until they succeed,its a fun thing.
#First question is what games do you think would appeal to young and old.
#Am i being a tight arse by asking is there a way to set the highscore to a challenging level?,as going out of business isnt an option.
#Can the artwork guys on here just design me a marquee and send the files to be printed?
#i plan on starting on the woodwork this weekend,season starts for real this may 1st,power tools are frowned upon then so ive got to get lively.making a full cabinet for the controls seems a bit ott and am thinking maybe just butchering a normal table could be better.But how best to protect the controls from spillages?can you waterproof?
Any advice would be appreciated and i plan on posting pics this weekend.
#also cant decide wether to make multiple images on sd cards which boot into single games and rotate daily,or have a handful of games and have to explain how to exit games and choose another.
#Edit·Butchering a table and bolting a coin mech to the leg would look piss poor,as usual i type faster than i can think.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:34:22 pm by lomoverde »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: Wall mounted bar arcade challenge.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:29:59 pm »
You might be able to modify the hiscore.dat file in the hi folder in MAME.  Not sure - it's been a while.

Also, formatting your post so it is readable will attract more responses.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:43:09 am »
Hello all,firstly id like to apologize for what might seem like lazy initial research on my behalf but ive come up with an idea and im on a very tight schedule.
I have a bar and after years of wanting to put an arcade cab in it,hunting for one has proved fruitless,and the time effort and cost of making one only for it  to get beat to crap isnt appealing.
I fell upon a post of wall mounted cabs and the idea grew.A free drink for beating the high score.a small 19 inch lcd,a handful of vertical classics.
But to be more appealing i wanted gameplay to be a bit more entertaining to all so...i have an old 42inch plasma.bolted straight to the wall.eye bolts in the back and hooks in the wall.a simple frame around it,nice big marquee,and bezel mounted over it.of course the size of the screen means the cp cant be underneath.so i want to make a sort of simple half coctail high barstool height.to run from the wall to controls.topped with a glass surface to overhang and protect the stick and buttons from spillages.
i have an old stick and some buttons,a pi and all the hardware already.
 straight off to be clear,i have no intention of it being a money making venture before you think it,but my plan maybe does sit in a grey area.i researched custom tokens and they are not in the price i am comfortable with.someone suggested one of the comparative coin mechs.i can get hold of a load of old 25 peseta coins which are a bit original looking.anyone who asks can have one in there change(free) with any purchase and have a pop.i dont want someone just sitting there on free play until they succeed,its a fun thing.
#First question is what games do you think would appeal to young and old.
That's a matter of taste. I guess you should get some classics like Pacman, Tetris, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Asteroids, etc.
#Am i being a tight arse by asking is there a way to set the highscore to a challenging level?,as going out of business isnt an option.
So when someone sets a high score you lose a beer. Then the next one has to beat that score, which is a lot harder probably, so in the end you won't lose too many beers.
#Can the artwork guys on here just design me a marquee and send the files to be printed?
If you pay them, yes.
#i plan on starting on the woodwork this weekend,season starts for real this may 1st,power tools are frowned upon then so ive got to get lively
Power tools are frowned upon??
making a full cabinet for the controls seems a bit ott and am thinking maybe just butchering a normal table could be better.
???
But how best to protect the controls from spillages?can you waterproof?
I don't think that's really needed.
Any advice would be appreciated and i plan on posting pics this weekend.
#also cant decide wether to make multiple images on sd cards which boot into single games and rotate daily,or have a handful of games and have to explain how to exit games and choose another.
Just make a dedicated exit button.
#Edit·Butchering a table and bolting a coin mech to the leg would look piss poor,as usual i type faster than i can think.
If you have the room, just make a full cabinet.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 01:46:30 pm »
If it's in a commercial establishment, you're going to want something legit.

Some logistical issues.  For a screen that big, your players are going to need to be that much further from the screen, so it is going to take up more space overall. 

Tokens - passing out and retrieving tokens all night is going to be labor intensive for something that generates you no direct income.  I would cut this down as much as possible.  Make it free and figure out how to deal with abuses later.

Same with the explanation of how to exit, etc.  That is going to get old real fast.  Keep it simple.

Yes. Scores will quickly become unbeatable.  Esp in a drinking environment.

Can't wait for some pics.  No power tools?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:58:11 pm »
Also be sure to check with local codes enforcement and verify if any type of licensing - tax certificate - permit fees apply in your area for such things -- would be a bummer to get several thousand dollars in fines and/or your business license pulled for having a gambling device being used on the premises ( Most arcade machines can be considered gambling devices if there are some sort of payout for high score etc. in some locations - so you may be required to have special licensing or it may not even be allowed depending on the local laws. )  :dunno

For example in some states it is illegal to give away liquor - so you might need to change the prize up and give away a gift certificate worth the value of a beer/wine instead of directly giving the beer as a prize or face being charged with a crime. SO be sure to check your local laws regarding this type of thing or talk with an attorney before running the contest to ensure you are protected.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:05:21 pm by JDFan »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:30:18 pm »
Have you looked at craigslist or facebook marketplace?

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 03:30:42 pm »
Firstly apologies for the badly laid out original post,after reading it the next day it is a bit jumbled i admit.

The legal issue is the first point id not really put any thought into,im in spain and hadent even considered problems further down the road,ive seen a couple of cabs in a bowling alley in palma running 60 in 1 boards for 1 euro a credit and had at 1 time considered contacting the company who supply them.

I think i could live with handing out tokens all night as i have a small bar mostly families visiting in the summer season,not overly hectic.

The idea for the large screen was to involve other customers in the viewing and hopefully stimulate interest.I can lose a bit of space for the extended cp,as once the summer kicks in everyone is sat outside.

As of may 1st in tourist areas using power tools can attract complaints and quite easily the police.As the work would be done on my bar terrace before i open i was a bit eager to get it done this weekend before the nearby hotel and other businesses open,that may have to change now.

Lastly ive scoured the local second hand sites,and all searches just turn up custom multy game cabs.Things do seem to take quite a beating over a sumer season in the bar so didnt want to make anything that was to nice and got trashed.my pool table is set to free play and its great for the business as it brings people in,but unless you want to be the grumpy schoolteacher telling kids off,the cues and cloth need replacing regular.

Ive got to give this a bit more thought me thinks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:37:40 pm by lomoverde »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 02:20:04 pm »
   I think what your missing is a "beat up turd" not only can be cleaned up, but its old world OH WOW JILL, YOU GOTTA COME SEE THIS!.... An old game has a way of melting hearts, Pac Man was always a contender. But keep in mind most who know it will probably be quite good at it and will play it for quite some time. Asmall crane game with drink coupons or dollars of varying denominations strapped to naughty movies is quite profitable also, and would move money faster.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 03:14:48 pm »
You can also just get an actual gaming console (classic? with arcade ports?) with legit games and go the tournament route or get one of the classics discs that a lot of the consoles have.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 07:04:18 pm »
Console route could actually be a very good idea,and something to think about. I have an XBOX ONE in the bar for the kids already.This august will be the 5th annual Fifa tournament.you wouldnt believe the tantrums and tears that causes.

Ive also fired an email to the company whose website was on the pandora box cab i saw in a bowling alley.I cant imagine the owner is buying the cabs,air hockey,futbolin and basket ball machines.if they are leasing i may be able to find out the legal situation.

im going to knock up some mdf side panels,marquee box and look at the bezel situation monday.im really wishing i came up with this a couple months ago.