Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do you guys handle volume control?  (Read 5701 times)

skeptic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2018, 10:35:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How do you guys handle volume control?
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:11:18 pm »
I have an X-arcade DIY kit with one unused button connection, running Attract Mode front end and Linux for the OS.  Sound is currently just through the TV speakers.  I have a couple ideas but I thought I'd throw it out there to see how you guys do it. 

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: How do you guys handle volume control?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 10:14:04 pm »
If your using a tv, why not just use the volume controls on the tv?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:22:44 pm »
I set the volume in 2004 and haven't touched it since then.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 11:02:17 pm »
On my MAME cab, the sound amplifier board (ripped from a set of PC speakers) is mounted just inside the cabinet next to the coin door, with the volume dial towards the door. I can just open it up and turn the dial.

On my smaller TMNT cabinet, the sound amplifier board (again, ripped from a set of PC speakers, but this one uses a volume knob) is mounted near the AC power jack. I can just reach back there and turn it pretty easy.

If you still plan on using the TV for sound, depending on the TV type [and your skill level], you could try:

A.) leaving a spot for the IR receiver exposed but maybe hidden / disguised, so the TVs remote control would still work to control volume.

Or B.) [advanced method] open the TV, solder wires to the volume control buttons, and put buttons to modify the volume (in the coin door, or maybe some spare black arcade pushbuttons on the top back of the cabinet.) You might want to put connectors in the wires, to make removing the TV easier for maintenance.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 11:45:17 pm »

Base and sound

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:50:20 am »
If using an I-PAC you can assign a button or shift combination for Vol Up and another for Vol Down.

skeptic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:33:08 am »
If your using a tv, why not just use the volume controls on the tv?
This is exactly what I'm doing right now, I just thought it would be nice to use buttons on the cab itself. 

Before I start getting hassled, I know these are all answers I can figure out on my own.  The point of the thread is to discuss how everyone is handling these types of things, and hopefully provide some feedback on their experiences.  Do you guys find having a dedicated modifier key is handy or a waste of space?  Is per-game volume control the best way to go or does OS level shortcuts work better overall? These types of things.

What I was thinking I'd do is set the TV volume as loud or louder than I'd ever want it then configure hot keys to adjust the PC volume.  I'm actually a bit surprised by the replies, I thought hotkeys would be the normal way.  Unfortunately I only have one unused and uninstalled key/button so my thoughts are:

1)Buy another keyboard or joystick encoder, change existing button connections as needed, install new buttons, program buttons for volume up/down.  Most work, most expense, but no change to logical config, no re-mapping of keys or configuring hotkey shortcuts.  Doesn't seem worth it but I'd have dedicated volume up/down as well as being able to add other dedicated buttons such as p (pause), ESC (quit) and tab (settings). 
2)Install the existing unused button, switch it with one of the existing ctrl or alt buttons, and configure hotkey combinations as well as the updated button config within the games.  For example, "new button" + "p1 joystick up" = volume up. 
3)Not installing new buttons, just setting up hotkey shortcuts.  I'd need the hotkeys to use key combos that are unlikely to be hit during gameplay, say "p2 coin" + "p1 joystick up" or whatever. 
4)Do nothing.  Between the TV remote and the keyboard in the cabinet I have access to everything I need.  It's not as slick or handy as using buttons on the control board, but it's functional.

I don't think I'll do option 1.  The cost and effort just don't see worth it and quite honestly I don't want a bunch of extra buttons on the control board.  I suppose I could hide the buttons on the back side, but at that point I may as well use the TV remote or keyboard from the inside the cabinet.  For option 2 or 3, there are more questions.  First, where is the best place to configure the hotkey - at the OS level, within the Attrace Mode front end or within the emulators (currently just MAME and Daphne)?  Is it even possible to configure hotkey shortcuts for volume control in all 3 or are my options more limited?  Is it better or possibly required to use ctrl (player 1 button 1) or alt (player 1 button 2) as part of they hotkey, in which case I'll need to swap one with a coin button and reconfigure game mappings. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:17 am »
If you're going to do volume control, do it at the amp and not the PC.  I got a headache just trying to parse your post, think about what a pain in the ass it's going to be having multiple emulators work with hot keys.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:12 am »
If using an I-PAC you can assign a button or shift combination for Vol Up and another for Vol Down.
this +1  :applaud:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »
Personally, I adjust it at the hardware level, I have a small hidden breakout control box from multimedia speakers underneath my control panel.  I just reach under to adjust it.

However, for a software solution, simply download this handy dandy free program that BYOAC user ahofle wrote for just that purpose:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=69901.0

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 02:31:55 pm »
I set the volume in 2004 and haven't touched it since then.

2008 and 2011 here, but yeah.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 02:33:04 pm »
If you're going to do volume control, do it at the amp and not the PC.  I got a headache just trying to parse your post, think about what a pain in the ass it's going to be having multiple emulators work with hot keys.

Good point. It's best to just have line-level output to your powered amplifier and let it control the volume.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 02:48:06 pm »
Launchbox has controller automation so you can set it so if you hold one button and press another button it will control windows volume up and down.

Not helpful for Attract mode, just fyi.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 03:58:16 pm »
I usually handle volume control by either turning it up or down depending on the situation....

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 05:57:11 pm »
I use i-pac shifted buttons, so it's an OS volume adjust.  I leave my amp just below max.  It works great, but it does eat up 2 shifted buttons...

I might switch to a volume knob on the top somewhere, but I also have a sub box with a separate internal amp, so I kind of have to go with OS adjustment. 

Plus my shift button has a key lock out so I can prevent sound adjustments if I want to.

I use my cab to play music too, so in game stuff is out for me.  I also do not want to use remotes.

skeptic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 06:21:37 pm »
I intended this to be a general discussion, not just about me and my setup but in my case.... 

*I use Linux not Windows, so windows apps are not going to work.  OS level hotkey shortcuts might.
*I agree with comments that trying to do volume control within emulators or the front end is probably not the best place.  Doing something at the OS level or hardware level sounds better, universal for everything.
*I hadn't thought of an in-line volume control. but for under $20 with a volume knob that may be a great solution.
*I'm using an X-arcade DIY kit not an i-pac board, I believe my programming options are very limited - one button = one key. 

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 08:39:30 am »
I intended this to be a general discussion, not just about me and my setup but in my case.... 

*I use Linux not Windows, so windows apps are not going to work.  OS level hotkey shortcuts might.
*I agree with comments that trying to do volume control within emulators or the front end is probably not the best place.  Doing something at the OS level or hardware level sounds better, universal for everything.
*I hadn't thought of an in-line volume control. but for under $20 with a volume knob that may be a great solution.
*I'm using an X-arcade DIY kit not an i-pac board, I believe my programming options are very limited - one button = one key.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mixer-Potentiometer-10K-20K-50K-100K-ohm-6Pin-Splined-Log-B-Pot-Volume-Control/252687292415
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Potentiometer-Volume-Control-Knob-Rotary-30-17mm-F-F/172901232995

2 dollar!

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 11:27:02 am »
I hacked a mousewheel and use 3rvx. https://3rvx.com/

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 12:34:07 pm »
I use i-pac shifted buttons, so it's an OS volume adjust.  I leave my amp just below max.  It works great, but it does eat up 2 shifted buttons...
You can use Shift + Joystick Up/Down  ::)

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 04:38:20 pm »
You can use Shift + Joystick Up/Down  ::)

Maybe.... I'll have to look into it.  It would be cool if I could.  But I have u360s, which connect over usb, so the sticks are not connected to the ipac.

Daytoooaaaa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2018, 04:57:03 am
  • I am an Ugandan Warrior my brozer!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 09:02:40 am »
Bluetooth remote control ;)
Uganda Knuckles is my Kingz and shiiit

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 09:13:58 am »
Ive always soldered a pot in the wires between PC and amp, then turn amp almost all the way up.
Its works great for me, and if the wire is long enough you can place the pot anywhere on (on in) the cab you want.
plus it works for all OS and computers.
Pot has to be audio taper.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 09:56:15 am »
What are you guys doing that you need to adjust the volume all the time?  ???

Also, if you want the REAL arcade volume control experience then the volume knob should be a tiny white knob on a circuit board, that can only be accessed by pulling the machine off the wall, taking the back door off, getting down on your knees and shining a flashlight!  :lol

Or classic era style, where you might get a knob inside the coin door, you might get a knob on the circuit board or you might get a knob on an audio board. Or super retro style where you have separate volume knobs for separate sounds (some classic era games).

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 12:02:43 pm »
The reason I added it was for changing conditions. If you are having a party you might want it louder, if some game blares louder than others you can adjust for that, etc.

But as is my rule for just about everything, to each his own.  8)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 12:21:44 pm »
I've only got it on one machine, and that's my pedestal hooked up to an amp and subwoofer.  That's a multi-use TV and gets adjusted quite a bit dependent on whether I'm watching a Cowboys game, playing a Genesis game with a nice soundtrack, or everything else.

Otherwise, I'm with Paige.  Set it slightly too high and forget about it forever.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 01:33:59 pm »
Volume knob behind the coin door.
%Bartop

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 02:07:37 pm »
Ah, somehow I have not heard of audio taper POTs before.  Good to know, thanks DaOld Man!