Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Retro has no sound and front control pad not working  (Read 5351 times)

Fattdirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 11:22:23 pm
JVL Retro has no sound and front control pad not working
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:13:56 pm »
I just picked up a JVL Retro and it has two issues that I'm trying to resolve. The sound is completely dead. I pulled the CPU box and the sound amp chip looked completely fried with a nice little hole burned into it. I ended up replacing it as well as the 4 electrolytic caps on the IO board and still have no sound. Also the 1000uF cap on the main board looked pretty crappy so I replaced that. I did have one improvement in the red light on the front control pad is now on but it still doesn't work and there is no calibration option for it in test mode.

Without schematics I'm unsure how this machine works to identify if the piggyback board is bad or if it is something on the main board. Any help with be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fattdirk

• Offline Offline
Re: JVL Retro has no sound and front control pad not working
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:13:25 am »
Ok well I figured out the sound. It turned out I had plugged the ribbon cable into the wrong connector on the motherboard. Turns out you plug it into the one that says 'sound'. The joystick controls still do not work so I'm still looking for advice on those.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:20 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 12:51:01 am »
typically the joystick board has crap spilled on it... shorting out the encoder IC on the board. you MAY be able to remove and clean the board, but i've never had more than 50% chance of it working properly.

the joy board is simply a USB device to the computer.

Fattdirk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 03:34:14 pm »
typically the joystick board has crap spilled on it... shorting out the encoder IC on the board. you MAY be able to remove and clean the board, but i've never had more than 50% chance of it working properly.

the joy board is simply a USB device to the computer.
Is it a readily available chip? Just a standard usb chip?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 05:07:54 pm »
I don't recall. I think it's an atmel microcontroller with built in USB. been a while since i've bothered to fix a joy board. if you replaced it you'd have to program it. I think you can still buy the boards though.

peel it open and take a look... if it's nasty dirty (which it probably is since it's kinda badly designed to keep stuff like dirt and liquids out)  get yourself a toothbrush and some 99% isopropyl alcohol and give it a scrub. it may come back to life.

Fattdirk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:26:24 am »
I don't recall. I think it's an atmel microcontroller with built in USB. been a while since i've bothered to fix a joy board. if you replaced it you'd have to program it. I think you can still buy the boards though.

peel it open and take a look... if it's nasty dirty (which it probably is since it's kinda badly designed to keep stuff like dirt and liquids out)  get yourself a toothbrush and some 99% isopropyl alcohol and give it a scrub. it may come back to life.
Thanks. I'll try this tonight. It is completely dead so I'm thinking this might work. I assume the menu doesn't show up in test mode because the game isn't detecting it at all. Fingers crossed this fixed it.

Fattdirk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:07:17 pm »

Thanks. I'll try this tonight. It is completely dead so I'm thinking this might work. I assume the menu doesn't show up in test mode because the game isn't detecting it at all. Fingers crossed this fixed it.

Houston we have a problem

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:34:11 pm »
yeah that's pretty corroded... and yes, that's typical. the machine joypad isn't really designed to take drinks being spilled on them... which is why they only used them on a couple machines...then stopped using them.

I usually find some pretty gnarly crustys around the IC, but your's looks good. it looks like just the power wire had corroded itself off... it's probably still good.

at this point... you can either

-find a scrap board somewhere with the same connector and replace it.

or do what I'd do...

-just chop off the wires and solder it directly to the board.

(but i'm crazy and can do stuff like that. your mileage may vary)

Fattdirk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:31:06 pm »
I soldered the wires directly to the board because this is a beater anyway and it didn't work. The picture didn't show all the corrosion but it's pretty bad. Without a schematic I might try and buzz out some of the traces but I'm not sure if I even care that muce because the joypad doesn't seem to add much to the game.

gatorjukeboxes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2022, 08:31:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 08:31:34 am »
Do you want to sell that board that you have there?