Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: R-Pi haters and game originalist, get your hat on.  (Read 13186 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
R-Pi haters and game originalist, get your hat on.
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:11:03 pm »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:20:21 pm by Locke141 »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: R-Pi haters and game originalist, get your hat on.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:28:06 pm »
What does "R-Pi hating" (which I really enjoy doing) have to do with any of this?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:09:06 pm »
What does "R-Pi hating" (which I really enjoy doing) have to do with any of this?

I didn’t even look at the link. Thanks for confirming. :-)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:02:07 pm »
Pi's are great, a majority of the user base is obnoxious though.

good day.

drewjbx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2023, 11:49:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:19:53 pm »
Pi's are so easy to work with... N64 still sucks though. I dont do alot of Hyperspin these days, might even switch to attract mode for PC.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:25:55 pm »

good day.

This is true. But when ever they come up people jump on how there not the best option.

The article is interesting, the retro pi guys have cut the lag to from a button press, to the point where it's now faster the it would be on original NES hardware, with out just spending up the game.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:44:57 pm by Locke141 »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:46 pm »
Actually read the article.... isn’t this basically how Mortal Kombat worked?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:08:08 am »
Me too... It says the Pi probably can’t handle the overhead, sooooooo.....

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 07:24:20 am »
ITYM "vocal minority". I don't think anyone has the time to listen to the majority of the 13 million + user base.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:35:04 am by elvis »

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:23 am »
ITYM "vocal minority". I don't think anyone has the time to listen to the majority of the 13 million + user base.

Pis are great, but not for emulation, they're about the worst possible thing you can use for emulation.  The userbase is obnoxious, yes.

The article is basically about some BS per-game hacking they're doing, running emulation ahead for a certain amount of code based on databases of game behavior.  It doesn't scale well at all and is completely the opposite direction to proper emulation, but since they're press whores they've got quite a few tech sites to go nuts over this.

Anything promising 'better than reality' is dangerous territory.

There are people actually looking at proper approaches, see the Blur Busters 'beam racing' stuff.  That actually requires real work on the emulation to improve it to render things in a way closer to the original hardware so that the workload is spread out evenly over scanlines like the original hardware would, and requires real improvements to the emulation rather than lamely hacking away at things.  GroovyMAME actually has an experimental mode for doing things the proper way, but since many of the MAME drivers aren't emulated at that level of accuracy yet, and it needs to be more of a core thing, it doesn't always works.

Unfortunately false approaches like the ones RA are pimping out is only going to detract away from people actually trying to do it properly with proper long-term benefits and real emulation improvements.

It's just another case of how RA and the scene surrounding it are actively problematic for those looking for real solutions and with a desire to see things done properly.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:06:17 am by Haze »

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 09:30:01 am »

The article is basically about some BS per-game hacking they're doing, running emulation ahead for a certain amount of code based on databases of game behavior.  It doesn't scale well at all and is completely the opposite direction to proper emulation, but since they're press whores they've got quite a few tech sites to go nuts over this.

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% with you here, and my desires for where emulation should head match folks like yourself, Byuu, and others patiently striving for accuracy as the primary goal, ahead of other rushed conveniences.

All I'm saying is don't write off the RPi "community" because of a very small, but sadly very vocal and sometimes obnoxious minority. The same goes for Linux, and how the RPi community doesn't necessarily represent what fans of accurate emulation on Linux want. (As much as I do enjoy Linux, the RPi has brought an audience to Linux that isn't always pleasant, not that the previous Linux community was much better at times).

I recently read through the RetroArch/libretro insanity that made it to the comments section of your blog back in 2014, and it's stuff like that that gives the rational, quiet majority a bad name. I salute you and the other members of MAMEDev on managing to maintain civility. I would not have had the same patience.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:37:08 am by elvis »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 10:15:25 am »

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% with you here, and my desires for where emulation should head match folks like yourself, Byuu, and others patiently striving for accuracy as the primary goal, ahead of other rushed conveniences.

All I'm saying is don't write off the RPi "community" because of a very small, but sadly very vocal and sometimes obnoxious minority. The same goes for Linux, and how the RPi community doesn't necessarily represent what fans of accurate emulation on Linux want. (As much as I do enjoy Linux, the RPi has brought an audience to Linux that isn't always pleasant, not that the previous Linux community was much better at times).

I recently read through the RetroArch/libretro insanity that made it to the comments section of your blog back in 2014, and it's stuff like that that gives the rational, quiet majority a bad name. I salute you and the other members of MAMEDev on managing to maintain civility. I would not have had the same patience.

Well said, elvis.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 02:51:22 pm »
The article is interesting, the retro pi guys have cut the lag to from a button press, to the point where it's now faster the it would be on original NES hardware, with out just spending up the game.

This is a RetroArch feature.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 02:57:36 pm »
Hasn't GroovyMAME been doing this for years on a CRT?
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 03:59:05 pm »
I agree with elvis as well.

The R-pi is not the a good platform for emulation, but for many caesural users it's a good enough to play around with.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 09:17:26 pm »
How is it "not a good platform"?  It's a computer, no different than any other computer.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 10:40:17 pm »
How is it "not a good platform"?  It's a computer, no different than any other computer.

#1. It is terribly under-powered compared to the average computer.

#2. They use an ARM processor, which means you can pretty much throw 20+ years of existing x86 emulator development out the window.

#3. When X86 emulator code is ported to ARM it tends to take about 3 times as many clock cycles per frame than the same code on X86.

#4. Unix based operating systems are far from ideal for gaming. All the real gaming and emulator development is done on Windows.

However it is really easy to copy your configuration over and rip people off selling your pi powered emulation systems, and THAT is the main reason why you have all these people defending the things, because they are ripping people off with them.

Man, I want a new car, what should I get? Oh man, you have to get a 1999 Kia, they are the best. The Pi is the 1999 Kia of emulation. Slow, it doesn't work very well, even though it doesn't cost much it still isn't worth it, and everyone will secretly be laughing at you when they see it.

#5. There is nothing worse for emulation that you can buy new today that anyone is actually using.

#6. Any X86 computer built in the 21st century that has at least 1GB of ram is better than a pi.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:43:42 pm by paigeoliver »
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 02:08:42 pm »

#2. They use an ARM processor, which means you can pretty much throw 20+ years of existing x86 emulator development out the window.

#3. When X86 emulator code is ported to ARM it tends to take about 3 times as many clock cycles per frame than the same code on X86.

#4. Unix based operating systems are far from ideal for gaming. All the real gaming and emulator development is done on Windows.

However it is really easy to copy your configuration over and rip people off selling your pi powered emulation systems, and THAT is the main reason why you have all these people defending the things, because they are ripping people off with them.

Man, I want a new car, what should I get? Oh man, you have to get a 1999 Kia, they are the best. The Pi is the 1999 Kia of emulation. Slow, it doesn't work very well, even though it doesn't cost much it still isn't worth it, and everyone will secretly be laughing at you when they see it.

#5. There is nothing worse for emulation that you can buy new today that anyone is actually using.

#6. Any X86 computer built in the 21st century that has at least 1GB of ram is better than a pi.

errr you do know playstation 4 runs on Unix right?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 02:40:34 pm »

Yeah, it is a BSD fork isn't it? Probably has countless professional man hours put into making it good for gaming too, from what I understand it has its own api's that seem to be designed so that developers familiar with DirectX can easily develop for the PS4. Take #4 out if it bothers you that much, it doesn't change anything.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 03:22:53 pm »
Yet again, paigeoliver is right on the money.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 03:41:00 pm »

Except he sounds like a zealot yelling that he is one one true path, no offense paigeoliver.

1: Yes today, out site of power consumption, a full PC is better in almost every way.
2: How cares, there are still use cases for a Pi.
3:And must importantly, you can chary pick particular exemptions, but Unix baste operating systems (BST, LINUX, MacOS) are all generally much better then windows in every way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:43:32 pm by Locke141 »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 04:01:02 pm »

:applaud:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 04:19:13 pm »

Yeah, it is a BSD fork isn't it? Probably has countless professional man hours put into making it good for gaming too, from what I understand it has its own api's that seem to be designed so that developers familiar with DirectX can easily develop for the PS4. Take #4 out if it bothers you that much, it doesn't change anything.

Yes it does.
It means you are only intellectually dishonest with your RPI rant on 4 things.
#1 & #6 are basically the same rant.

want to know how I know you've never actually used a raspberry pi?

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 04:40:53 pm »
Still waiting to hear what OP has to do with Raspberry Pi.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 05:01:40 pm »
Yes it does.

Well I've used and still own a pi, loaded with Nacho's image and I can say from experience and playtesting that paige is still correct in his assessment.
These days my pi just sits collecting dust. I'm planning on using it for my netboot Naomi... it's the only use I can see it being worth it. Emulation is absolutely atrocious on it.

opt2not

• Offline Offline

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 05:53:30 pm »
You Pi haters are the worst. Video games are great with pi. I prefer chocolate to raspberry though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 05:56:10 pm »
Every gamer at Zapcon went running when the Pi truck showed up. It was awesome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 07:07:27 pm »

Indeed. And Nintendo (who know a thing or two about gaming) built their (S)NES Mini units around an ARM based SOC running Linux, which is considerably less powerful than a Pi, but still capable of emulating most games from the 2D era with ease.

Points 2 to 4 of Paige's post are complete nonsense.

Point 6 also sounds highly dubious to me. But it's impossible to prove definitively either way given how many variables are involved, and how few people are actually still running 18 year old PCs.

Paige's comments have actually got me wondering whether a lot of the Pi hatred stems from the fact that it runs Linux, and many people are extremely reluctant to step outside of their Windows comfort zone.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:54:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 07:11:56 pm »
You Pi haters are the worst. Video games are great with pi. I prefer chocolate to raspberry though.

Scott

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 07:24:23 pm »
Yes it does.

Well I've used and still own a pi, loaded with Nacho's image and I can say from experience and playtesting that paige is still correct in his assessment.
These days my pi just sits collecting dust. I'm planning on using it for my netboot Naomi... it's the only use I can see it being worth it. Emulation is absolutely atrocious on it.
Oh, he's 100% right when he says an rpi can't compare to a desktop PC.
As a desktop PC. well no duh.

But it's been proven to be a very capable emulation device so he's spreading misinformation.
there are multiple dedicated forums, blogs, and even video's on youtube showing the rpi emulating most 2d games just fine.
3d games of course wont work but they won't work on any 21st century 1gb pc or a free PC someone has in their basement/closet either so I have no idea what you stand to gain in that category.

The notion that the emulators on the rpi are just compiled versions of the i386 emulators without any optimization for arm is laughable also.

I don't know who nacho is but i've got multiple RPI's running right now playing 2d games without any issues.
RPI2:
NES
SNES rpi3. very few issues.
I've tested sega CD & 32x on an rpi3 and saw no issues playing the games.
I have Mame 4 way classics and trackball games on an rpi2 i'm testing now and not seeing a lot of issues. even golden tee 3d runs good.
the above are using retropie.

Rpi3:which runs 95% of the games in the no friller lists.
that's raspbian and I compiled attract mode and advmame myself plus it's outputting 240p to a crt TV.
of course the 3d games don't work and golden axe the dual due to the only 1gb of ram but it doesn't have me reaching for an old core2duo i have on the shelf gathering dust.

so why in the world would someone use a full PC, even a free PC to emulate something an RPI can emulate?
Less heat
less noise
less power
no moving parts to go bad (cpu fan,hard drive, psu fan).
GPIO for led control and rotating monitors if you are into that.

the rpi isn't going away and the following is just getting bigger when it comes to emulation.
Why?
Because it works.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »
Yes it does.

But it's been proven to be a very capable emulation device so he's spreading misinformation.
there are multiple dedicated forums, blogs, and even video's on youtube showing the rpi emulating most 2d games just fine.
3d games of course wont work but they won't work on any 21st century 1gb pc or a free PC someone has in their basement/closet either so I have no idea what you stand to gain in that category.

The notion that the emulators on the rpi are just compiled versions of the i386 emulators without any optimization for arm is laughable also.

I don't know who nacho is but i've got multiple RPI's running right now playing 2d games without any issues.
RPI2:
NES
I have Mame 4 way classics and trackball games on an rpi2 i'm testing now and not seeing a lot of issues. even golden tee 3d runs good.

that's raspbian and I compiled attract mode and advmame myself plus it's outputting 240p to a crt TV.
of course the 3d games don't work and golden axe the dual due to the only 1gb of ram but it doesn't have me reaching for an old core2duo i have on the shelf gathering dust.

so why in the world would someone use a full PC, even a free PC to emulate something an RPI can emulate?
Less heat
less noise
less power

the rpi isn't going away and the following is just getting bigger when it comes to emulation.
Why?
Because it works.

Bang on.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 07:49:06 pm »
Yes it does.

RPI2:
NES

Less heat
less noise
less power

Why?
Because it works.

Lets add to the list of what the Pi has as well:

- Input lag:  You have to really tweak with the settings to get something somewhat playable, but even then it's not great compare to a PC

- ---smurfy--- bluetooth:  If you want to have anything worth using with a Pi, you have to buy a usb bluetooth and use that instead of the built-in low powered bluetooth. Otherwise you will experience compatibility issues and drop-outs.

- No power switch:  yeah, that sucks. You can buy an add-on I guess, but that's just another thing (yet something so stupidly simple that should have been part of the hardware to begin with), to deal with in setting this up.

- Possibility of corruption: if you power-down while the pi is writing, there is a high chance you will corrupt your microSD file system.

- Higher cost:  At the end of the day, after buying a pi, an controls interface board(s), a microSD, a video adapter (if you're going with a non-widescreen hdmi TV/Monitor), you're costing yourself just as much as a low-end PC that can do emulation better!

- Ridicule for being labeled a filthy casual.  Yes, pi's aren't going anywhere...neither am I. I will still make fun of you trendy casuals for this sham of hardware. 

You don't notice the lag, or aren't bothered by it?  You're a casual. 
You've never corrupted your microSD card?  Maybe because you haven't put up any high scores for it to record...aka, you're a casual.
You play all your retro games on a widescreeen LCD?  You are a casual.
Saying that "it works" is the bare minimum for you to think it's great. You're most definitely a filthy casual.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 08:54:15 pm »
Yes it does.

RPI2:
NES

Less heat
less noise
less power

Why?
Because it works.

Lets add to the list of what the Pi has as well:

- Input lag:  You have to really tweak with the settings to get something somewhat playable, but even then it's not great compare to a PC

- ---smurfy--- bluetooth:  If you want to have anything worth using with a Pi, you have to buy a usb bluetooth and use that instead of the built-in low powered bluetooth. Otherwise you will experience compatibility issues and drop-outs.

- No power switch:  yeah, that sucks. You can buy an add-on I guess, but that's just another thing (yet something so stupidly simple that should have been part of the hardware to begin with), to deal with in setting this up.

- Possibility of corruption: if you power-down while the pi is writing, there is a high chance you will corrupt your microSD file system.

- Higher cost:  At the end of the day, after buying a pi, an controls interface board(s), a microSD, a video adapter (if you're going with a non-widescreen hdmi TV/Monitor), you're costing yourself just as much as a low-end PC that can do emulation better!

- Ridicule for being labeled a filthy casual.  Yes, pi's aren't going anywhere...neither am I. I will still make fun of you trendy casuals for this sham of hardware. 

You don't notice the lag, or aren't bothered by it?  You're a casual. 
You've never corrupted your microSD card?  Maybe because you haven't put up any high scores for it to record...aka, you're a casual.
You play all your retro games on a widescreeen LCD?  You are a casual.
Saying that "it works" is the bare minimum for you to think it's great. You're most definitely a filthy casual.

LOL!
elitism, condensation, and name calling.

White flag accepted.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 09:07:38 pm »
LOL!

White flag accepted.

Don’t know the difference between condescension and condensation? You’re a casual.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:12:33 pm by opt2not »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 09:43:17 pm »
 :laugh2:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 09:52:36 pm »
LOL!

White flag accepted.

Don’t know the difference between condescension and condensation? You’re a casual.

When you have nothing left but to point spealling and grammer mistokes/autokorrect you are basikally dun.
have gud nite.

LOL!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:56:26 pm by nitrogen_widget »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2018, 10:12:41 pm »
I saw opt2not put up obscene scores on multiple arcade games. If he says the lag is an issue, it would be wise to pay attention.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:29 pm »
And you didn’t see me do the jump-shot in Fire Escape. It was awesome. No lag playing that game! :lol

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:44 pm »
Consoles emulate on Pi better because they have written console emulators specifically for the ARM processor on Linux. A functional 2D console emulator is downright trivial compared to something like Mame. Most of those old console emulators we loved 20 years ago were part time projects of a single developer. But why would you want to emulate a console on a Pi when whatever you are accessing this forum from would be better?

Look at me in my Kia, aren't I cool? Best car you can buy, uses the same gas as real cars, but it makes less noise. Fully capable of transporting Taylor Swift, and I don't notice any lag in the steering or brakes.