Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ready Player One  (Read 2966 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Ready Player One
« on: April 21, 2018, 11:56:54 am »
Has anyone watched this movie yet?
My nephew took his kids to see it and they liked it.
Im thinking about going to watch it this weekend.
I dont want any spoilers, just to get general opinion if it's worth the cash.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Ready Player One
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 12:07:28 pm »
It’s worth seeing, but it’s a lot different from the book. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 12:29:00 pm »
Thanks Yots, I havent read the book so I wont recognize the plot differences.
I have found most movies are not as good as the book.
I suppose when you read your mind has time to imagine more, whereas on a movie they try to cram it all in in a couple hours.
Movies based on Stephen King books are mostly disappointing to me, if I have already read the book.
I think about the worst was Dream Catcher. It was almost nothing like the book, although there were a few scenes that did kinda sorta mimic the book.
I liked the book but hated the movie. If I had not read teh book first, I may have a different opinion of the movie.
A couple of movies that held close to King's books were Misery and The Green Mile.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:36:36 pm »
Let’s put it this way, if you didn’t read the book and just go into it with no prior knowledge, you’ll think it’s a pretty good movie. And that’s fine.

I went with a good friend of mine who liked the book and we would have debates about how good the book is. So we went to the movie together. Every 10 minutes, or when something was changed that clearly was different from the book, I’d hear a very loud sigh. It was actually pretty funny to me, and made me laugh a few more times than the movie did. But I enjoyed it. I’d go see it again with friends.

Without being spoilery, I did have one pretty large gripe with the book, and I thought the movie did a way better job of revising that situation to make it more believable to me. So I’ll give it that.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 01:48:33 pm »
As someone who read the book and watched the movie, I enjoyed both,  The movie captures the spirit of the book without ramming the references down your throat. They also massively simplified the quests which is no bad thing or the movie would have had to have had another movie within it :) Not going to make it into my top 10 favourite movies but would probably squeek into a top 100. My number 1 movie of all time is Ferris Beullers day off, with Green mile being quite a way behind in 2nd place :) 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:12:24 am »
Wil Weaton's performance in the the audiobook was superior to both the book and the movie. 

I enjoyed the movie.  Very different than the book, but the endless early 80's references of the book would only appeal to people of a certain age.  I was a bit disappointed that the quarter wasn't obtained through an arcade related challenge.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:46 pm »
Wil Weaton's performance in the the audiobook was superior to both the book and the movie. 

I enjoyed the movie.  Very different than the book, but the endlessly early 80's references of the book would only appeal to people of a certain age.  I was a bit disappointed that the quarter wasn't obtained through an arcade related challenge.

I totally agree. Toning down the 80s stuff saved it In that regard. And I really didn’t feel like the 80s references were simply pandering in the film. After a while, to be honest, it did in the book.

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 10:37:30 am »
I never read the book and really enjoyed the movie.  Movie Story was not bad and visual and sound effects were great.  Worth every penny of watching this on the IMAX screen, even in 3D, but really looking forward to watching this one at home once the new theater is done.  Great sound, great visuals, lots of action... this is what makes watching movies fun for me.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:20 pm »
watched it with my wife. we both enjoyed it. I read about the differences with the book; nothing seemed story breaking to me.  I also read about the licensing issues with some stuff from the book and that's why it was different than the movie (Like the Iron Giant being in it). It was cool to see Ryu and Goro in the same movie :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.