Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong  (Read 58396 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2020, 08:32:30 pm »
Watched the 79 motion picture.
honestly hadn't seen it since the mid 80's on cable so i don't think I noticed the first half of the movie was the special effects guys just flexing and going "look what we can do. with Star Trek! and I need a few more dudes in self propelled space suits in the back ground!"

I enjoyed the second half better.
I still laughed at how everyone was jumping in their seats to simulate a shaky enterprise.
I enjoyed it for what it was.
A long episode of OG Star Trek with a budget and bad uniforms.

think i'll work my way through those movies now since I honestly can't remember when I last watched them.

edit:

Wrath of Kahn was a solid movie.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:19:34 am by nitrogen_widget »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2020, 11:11:00 am »
As far as I recall, the motion picture literally took a tv episode script and stretched it out to a full movie. They had a Star Trek reboot series in the works that got scrapped, and just stole a script from it to make the movie. They filled the time with special effects instead of building more into the script. In the movie's defense, that was bleeding edge effects for the time.

Also, I just have to say it.....it is one of the coolest movie posters ever made. Don't know why, but the space rainbow just works.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2020, 11:20:39 am »
As far as I recall, the motion picture literally took a tv episode script and stretched it out to a full movie. They had a Star Trek reboot series in the works that got scrapped, and just stole a script from it to make the movie. They filled the time with special effects instead of building more into the script. In the movie's defense, that was bleeding edge effects for the time.

They used the concept for Phase 2 for TMP. Deckard and Ilia were created for Phase 2. They also repurposed a bunch of Phase 2 scripts for Season 1 of TNG with Riker and Troi essentially being pallette swaps of Deckard and Ilia.

There was also a bunch of stuff written about Ilia's species making men uncontrollably horny, most of which was cut from the film.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #283 on: September 29, 2020, 12:17:39 pm »
There was also a bunch of stuff written about Ilia's species making men uncontrollably horny, most of which was cut from the film.

Well, with that skimpy little space bathrobe she had on, that would just be redundant.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2020, 12:29:54 pm »

They used the concept for Phase 2 for TMP. Deckard and Ilia were created for Phase 2. They also repurposed a bunch of Phase 2 scripts for Season 1 of TNG with Riker and Troi essentially being pallette swaps of Deckard and Ilia.

I did not know this but it makes a some sense.  I can see the similarities with Riker and Troi.

It has been many years since I read it but I seem to recall this being mentioned in the novel.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2020, 04:39:23 pm »

Also, I just have to say it.....it is one of the coolest movie posters ever made. Don't know why, but the space rainbow just works.

[img[/img]

I didn't actually know that.
So makes sense why I thought it was like a long episode with a lot of special effects just for the sake of special effects.
funny.

I've never really payed much attention to movie posters beyond using them to identify movies when scrolling prime for example.
I knew which one was the 79 film down the way because i remembered what it looked like.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2020, 08:12:21 pm »
The film was actually going to be even longer..... they cut out several sfx scenes because they proved to be impossible to film in 79 with the current tech..... for example spock and kirk were to travel to the data bank section of vger and kirk was attacked by what we would essentially call nanites today.... they tried to film the "robots" falling off of him and play it in reverse but no matter how they filmed it the result was goofy looking. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #287 on: September 30, 2020, 10:52:18 am »
The film was actually going to be even longer..... they cut out several sfx scenes because they proved to be impossible to film in 79 with the current tech..... for example spock and kirk were to travel to the data bank section of vger and kirk was attacked by what we would essentially call nanites today.... they tried to film the "robots" falling off of him and play it in reverse but no matter how they filmed it the result was goofy looking.

"Data bank" is an awesome term that is in need of a comeback.  It was everywhere on tv when we were kids.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2020, 03:41:17 pm »
Search for Spock wasn't horrible.
I just kept waiting for the Klingon captain to call for 1.21 gigawatts of energy to the disruptors.

It did set the stage for the Voyage home which was a solid movie.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2020, 05:28:28 pm »

Exactly, that's the problem.  It's the middle of a story and can't stand on it's own.  Nimoy wouldn't come back unless they let him direct so this was the test movie prior to IV, which is fantastic.  They should have called it.... Star Trek III:  Contract Negotiations   

Lloyd's face was too recognizable so it was a distraction and he wasn't believable as a Klingon.  There wasn't much plot to get in the way of all of those action sequences, which is always a bad sign in a Star Trek film.  Also Kirk doesn't really give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about his son.  He practically broke down in tears for Spock in the last film, but at the end of III and part IV his son isn't even mentioned.  It was a forced emotional payoff that didn't go anywhere. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2020, 11:28:29 am »

Exactly, that's the problem.  It's the middle of a story and can't stand on it's own.  Nimoy wouldn't come back unless they let him direct so this was the test movie prior to IV, which is fantastic.  They should have called it.... Star Trek III:  Contract Negotiations   

Lloyd's face was too recognizable so it was a distraction and he wasn't believable as a Klingon.  There wasn't much plot to get in the way of all of those action sequences, which is always a bad sign in a Star Trek film.  Also Kirk doesn't really give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about his son.  He practically broke down in tears for Spock in the last film, but at the end of III and part IV his son isn't even mentioned.  It was a forced emotional payoff that didn't go anywhere.

and ST-V was not that great, however VI was a decent movie. so I see the every other movie thing now.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2020, 12:16:26 pm »
V is awful. Irredeemably awful.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2020, 03:36:36 pm »
Nah man, V has the best interpersonal scenes in the entire TOS films run.  The campfire scenes.... the "I need my pain" scene..... best in the franchise.  Sure the A plot was kind of crap but no trekkies watch Star Trek for the A plot. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #293 on: October 03, 2020, 06:27:11 pm »
I agree with Howard on V.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2020, 08:45:35 pm »
The part with them camping ect. was nice to watch.
spock infuriating bones...
the whole powerful being thing was just silly.

VI - chang talking trash about shakespears works originating with them made you think.

on a side note, Bill and Ted's bogus Journey....they got lured out to the spot where Kirk vs gorn fight was filmed.
I chuckled.

On another side note, saw no choice but to move onto STNG after VI, McCoy calling data "boy" every other sentence was a little cringe.
though the you sound like a vulcan but I don't see no pointy ears" was funny.
did deforest kelly want to redneck up his character for that?

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2020, 09:25:08 am »
Nope. V was indeed irredeemably awful, and that includes the campfire scene that just made me cringe.

One thing I remember from that scene is when Spock says something along the lines of "but life is not a dream". That reply seemed odd when you consider how many Star Trek episodes have featured some sort of simulated reality. You'd think Spock, with his logical and enquiring mind, would at least entertain the possibility that the life we experience is indeed some sort of simulation or "dream".

I did enjoy The Motion Picture though. Definitely the most underrated of all the Star Trek movies.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2020, 12:11:21 pm »
You have no soul.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2020, 01:08:52 pm »
Nope. V was indeed irredeemably awful, and that includes the campfire scene that just made me cringe.

Yeah, those scenes were hamfisted. The overall writing of the film was awful partly because of the writers strike of '88. The same strike that wrecked season 2 of TNG and resulted in the season finale being a ---smurfing--- clip show  :lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2020, 03:01:41 pm »
Yeah there's something wrong with both of you.  It's not about the writing, it's about good actors that have worked together for years getting the opportunity to act off of each other in small intimate scenes.  That being said the writing wasn't ham-fisted, it was Shakespearian... as in other the top on purpose for dramatic effect.  What part of anyone's acting style in any Star Trek film ever reads "subtle" to you guys?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:17 am »
I'm with Mike and Howard. V suffers from a lot of problems, but the Kirk, McCoy & Spock chemistry is top notch. It is the culmination a friendship established over the series and previous movies. For everything the Star Trek franchise has produced, that character chemistry has never been equaled.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #300 on: October 05, 2020, 09:14:53 pm »
found remaster OG Trek on Prime.
re-watching that won out of TNG.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #301 on: October 05, 2020, 11:29:40 pm »
 :dunno

I liked Star Trek V.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: October 06, 2020, 12:03:21 am »

The remaster is quite well done. Maybe I'm a hypocrite for bashing the Star Wars Special Editions but I definitely prefer the remastered TOS.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: October 06, 2020, 12:31:54 pm »

The remaster is quite well done. Maybe I'm a hypocrite for bashing the Star Wars Special Editions but I definitely prefer the remastered TOS.

Agreed.  I'm "binging" TOS right now and am enjoying the updated effects.  They did a great job making the changes blend in with the original aesthetic.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »
At the time Star Trek had about 5 panning shots of the original ship to use for sfx shots and that's about it.  No additional ships (except a couple of enemy ships), no space stations ect.... so the effects were quite bad even though they were groundbreaking at the time.  The remastered versions simply put what they wanted to show on the screen in the original style, so they did a great job. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: October 06, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »
learning every day.
I just thought they re-scanned the original tapes at HD resolution.
didn't know they added stuff.

cool.