Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong  (Read 58911 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2020, 09:01:14 pm »
I really enjoyed Enterprise. But I agree with Howard, it got messed up very near the end, and the finale sucked rotten oranges. Just didnt end right.
And Voyager's ending was even worse. Maybe I just dont like a series I like come to an end?

it started out great.
the wonderment of man exploring space for the first time and getting their arses kicked.
then upgrading, going back and giving what for.

i've watched the last episode of enterprise twice over the yrs and I can't even remember it.
once on netflix once on TV.
it just piddled out.

Same with voyager.
I vaguely remember the last season.
I may try to watch it again.

but i've been working on Deep space 9.
I never watched it all the way through so I don't know how it ended however what I did watch stuck with me like Cisco and last game in the world series.
deep space reminds me a lot of babylon 5.
which is also on my list to rewatch.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2020, 09:11:26 pm »
i can't remember if I posted some of my favorite scens from startrek but here they are no video clips.

kirk vs dragon dude. - it's so over the top ridiculous how he makes a cannon.
OG trek movie - "guess who's coming to dinner" and the assassination scene with the blood in spheres floating in zero gravity. it shocked me back then because i'd never seen anything like that.
think it was the same movie when kirk escaped with the shape shifter who had the cigar that kept you arm and they beamed him off the prison planet just before "she" told him everything.
that movie was more light-hearted than the rest.

og star trek movie "double dumb ass"

startrek next gen when they found Scotty and he told LaForge you have to baby captians and to tell them it will take longer to do something that way they look like a miracle worker when they do it sooner.
the Scotty principle.
I've employed it with great success at work. :)

i'm not a trekie but I still appreciate the

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2020, 10:08:57 pm »
I liked that scene where they played sabotage by the beastie boys and Kurt fought Con

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2020, 11:31:19 pm »
I liked that scene where they played sabotage by the beastie boys and Kurt fought Con

You .... out.... :timebomb:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2020, 03:19:59 pm »
I also like the theme to Enterprise.
lotta people got mad at a song instead instrumental music.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2020, 03:22:35 am »
Now you are over acting

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2020, 11:01:29 am »
Now you are over acting

lol!
Shatner can act like a normal person fairly well.
but he's best when acting like a caricature of himself.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2020, 01:27:09 pm »
So I have 3 episodes left in Season 2 of Discovery and while I'm enjoying the show for its mindless action, it's not good Star Trek, unfortunately.  It's not making any sense and the writers seem to contradict themselves from episode to episode and there is little to no set up of big events.  Also, everyone is indestructible.  Chances are if someone is dead or looks dead they are most certainly not dead.  I mean c'mon.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »
So I have 3 episodes left in Season 2 of Discovery and while I'm enjoying the show for its mindless action, it's not good Star Trek, unfortunately.  It's not making any sense and the writers seem to contradict themselves from episode to episode and there is little to no set up of big events.  Also, everyone is indestructible.  Chances are if someone is dead or looks dead they are most certainly not dead.  I mean c'mon.

lol. 100% agree. BTW, lets also overpower the hell out of Michael and remove the team dynamic completely. Oh, and SCIENCE F'YEAH!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2020, 08:06:23 pm »
My biggest issue with the new Star Trek (Both Discovery and Picard) is my dad loves them. So, when I'm chatting with him about it, I don't want to be a total buzz kill so I focus on the positives.

The visuals are great. I really like some of the tech. The new Klingons are crazy. The Discovery warping around everywhere opens up lots of possibilities.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2020, 12:58:18 am »
What "tech" do you speak of?  See there isn't any tech in the new Star Trek, it's scifi troupe garbage that looks good on screen but doesn't have any real world use.

Holographic translucent screens - stupid and impractical.  It's difficult to read something when you can see through it as all the stuff behind it messes with the contrast.
Pop-up holographic controls - also stupid and impractical.  If they were solid that'd actually be a pretty cool idea, but the ones on the show are translucent and it's obvious that there isn't any tactical feedback, so basically they are playing xbox kinect. 

See Star Trek tech was always fantastical but in a practical, grounded in reality way.  It's supposed to inspire people to go out and build it and guess what?   The stuff on the old shows.... people DID go out and build them.  The padd, the touch screen controls, voice controlled computers, a wireless networked system of interconnected devices, the hypo-spray,  hell even the adjustable hospital bed and the communicator from TOS.... they all frikkin exist now!!!  That's because show runners carefully thought up of tech that was needed but was currently impossible.  The stuff on Picard and discovery isn't needed.  It's just dumb sci-fi.

There are no new Klingons.... only hideous turd monsters.  Turd monsters which are retconned into something mroe closely resembling Klingons by season 2 as they realized the horrible mistake they made.  The Klingon design has evolved slightly over the years but has essentially remained unchanged since the motion picture in 1979... that means my entire life Klingons have looked the same.  The pure hubris of the show runners thinking they knew better than 40 years worth of sfx artists is appalling.   Also if you watch more discovery you'll find that they've already dropped the "travel anywhere in an instant" gimmick, which is good because it worked on magic and that's dumb Doctor Who nonsense not appropriate for Star Trek. 

The only positives are returning cast members on Picard, specifically Sir Patrick himself.  He can read the phone book and it'd be an interesting watch which is fortunate as Picard totally falls off the rails towards the end.  I thought it was building towards something and it just left 14 plot threads on the table instead.  Of course there are some great characters on Discovery as well... just not Bernham... they should kill her off or something. 

CBS all access is no more with the (re)merger and everything will shift to paramount+ in a few months.  Paramount knows how to handle the property, so hopefully a shakeup is coming that'll right the ship.  Both shows have potential.... they just need actual writers that can write actual Star Trek episodes.  You can already see changes as Strange New Worlds (captain Pike spin-off) isn't going to be serialized and will present a more traditional Star Trek format apparently. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: September 18, 2020, 10:57:32 am »
What "tech" do you speak of?  See there isn't any tech in the new Star Trek, it's scifi troupe garbage that looks good on screen but doesn't have any real world use.

The "tech" I was talking about was me finding things to chat about when speaking with my dad about the show. I try not to sound like comic book guy when talking to him because he's a big fan. Nobody likes to hear that much critical over-thinking of a television show they like.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2020, 07:19:46 pm »
You can already see changes as Strange New Worlds (captain Pike spin-off) isn't going to be serialized and will present a more traditional Star Trek format apparently.

Pike is the best "new" character Star Trek has come up with in decades, IMO.  I know he's not original to Discovery but the actor playing him has done a fantastic job.  He commands the room, trusts the crew and knows when to bend (or break) the rules.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:09 am »
Finished Discovery.  It was fine.

We started Picard last night - first 2 episodes.  I like it so far.  I just like Patrick Stewart I guess.  The show seems like a movie with a huge budget.  The sets and costumes are really good so far.  The story is interesting too although it seems like it has been done a million times before (one last mission!  secret societies with unlimited resources!  Starfleet has been infiltrated!).  We shall see.  I'm just glad there is more Star Trek.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:59:25 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2020, 09:50:18 am »

I love Star Trek.

They need to let it die.

It needs to stop.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2020, 09:53:45 am »

I love Star Trek.

They need to let it die.

It needs to stop.

If they can keep the current cast in the movies - I really like all of them.. those I can stick with
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2020, 09:57:15 am »
I liked the reboots and I normally hate reboots.

It could have something to do with Zoe Saldana in the classic Trek uniform.

Beastie Boys. Like the music, hate it in Star Trek.

I would agree with you, but the rumored ideas are all ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Quentin Tarantino doing Star Trek. Stupid idea.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:02:36 am by Mike A »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2020, 03:44:51 pm »
Well it's the same thing I say about reboots/reimagining's/whatever with other properties.  If the franchise as a whole is in a healthy place with films/shows that embody the soul of the franchise active then it's perfectly ok to take a risk with something "out there".  The problem is, Star Trek is on life support right now.  The only reason so many shows have been greenlit is that cbs didn't have anything else to lure people into cbs all access and they were desperately throwing things at the wall hoping something would stick.   Now that they are re-merged with paramount it could spell the end of this endless spin-off train.  Paramount used to be able to handle Star Trek, but that was over 20 years ago, so who knows what will happen.

All of that being said, with the current state of scifi bad star trek is better than no star trek..... at least to a point.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2020, 05:20:10 pm »
Yet they still don't greenlight poor old captain worf. He has been thumping for a show for years. :lol

https://treknews.net/2019/08/27/michael-dorn-captain-worf-star-trek-universe/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #259 on: September 21, 2020, 05:36:15 pm »
They don't want to do Captain Worf now because they'd have to do him in the og Klingon makeup or fans would riot and that would be admitting that the turd monster costumes was a mistake.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #260 on: September 21, 2020, 05:54:47 pm »
They can just make some sorta doctor who style excuse and say that certain Klingons change appearance every few decades because of a...*cough*....space.......matter......time.....particle......distortion....cloud? ;D 

It would at least explain the bronzed TOS klingons.

But I agree, they screwed up the klingons for no reason other than they could.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #261 on: September 21, 2020, 05:56:25 pm »
Worf will never make Captain because he abandoned a critical mission in order to rescue Jadzia instead.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #262 on: September 21, 2020, 09:45:55 pm »
They can just make some sorta doctor who style excuse and say that certain Klingons change appearance every few decades because of a...*cough*....space.......matter......time.....particle......distortion....cloud? ;D 

It would at least explain the bronzed TOS klingons.

But I agree, they screwed up the klingons for no reason other than they could.

That was explained in Enterprise which makes the turd monsters even more infuriating as they should look like TOS Klingons in that point of history. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:44 am »
In Picard they also explained that Romulans look different depending on where they are from - some have pronounced nose ridges and others don't.

So I'm 1/2 way through Picard and it is definitely not Start Trek LOL but it's a pretty decent action movie so far.  I liked seeing Seven of Nine again but they are painting Starfleet and the Federation as something that is basically collapsing.  The Neutral Zone is gone.  Corruption everywhere.  Seven is clearly not in Starfleet any more and she's more like Space Batman without the no killing code.  I'm interested to see where this goes but there are no big moral questions or social commentary in sight. 

Star Trek has turned into generic sci-fi at this point.  I still like it because of my low standards though.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2020, 10:59:21 am »
Rewatching Voyager and it's a lot better than I had remembered. Either that or the bar has just been lowered so far by ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like Picard and JJ Trek.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2020, 04:42:31 pm »
Voyager is in the classic Star Trek ensemble cast format, which is why it has some good episodes despite the notoriously bad writing at the time.  That format allows for any character to shine and for any writer to submit a script because it isn't serialized.  That's why Star Trek worked.  You had the best sci-fi writers of the day along with complete amateurs submitting scripts constantly so all that was needed was a steady had to pick the best scripts and a few staff writers to edit for continuity errors and ect.  Now it's serialized, which means only a few writers can work on it and if they get a bad idea there aren't people above them to nix it. 

Take DS9, which is a profoundly good show, but the more serialized it got, the more bad ideas creeped in which culminated in the final season where Ben learns he's half wormhole alien, aka Bajoran Jesus and in the final episode he walks away from a celebration party, because.... reasons and goes to fight Gul Ducot, who is now the Bajoran Devil.  It was a terrible season with a terrible ending because the Battlestar guys were writing the show pretty much exclusively at that point and they have some kind of weird hard-on for shoe-horning religious b.s. into sci-fi shows for no reason.   Putting religio into a Star Trek show is the anthesis of Roddenberry's vision and a good show runner would have caught that, but they didn't have one. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2020, 07:16:59 pm »
Rewatching Voyager and it's a lot better than I had remembered. Either that or the bar has just been lowered so far by ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like Picard and JJ Trek.

For me, watching Voyager in episode order really elevated it with me as one of the better Treks. They introduced some really cool aliens, and would nerf them a few episodes later.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2020, 08:39:40 pm »
Putting religio into a Star Trek show is the anthesis of Roddenberry's vision and a good show runner would have caught that, but they didn't have one.

I liked the exploration of religion in DS9, particularly with respect to the Bajoran culture. Where it suffered was when they started diving too much into the wormhole aliens and pah wraith stuff. As an exploration of cultural ideas, I thought it an appropriate inclusion since it nicely contrasted the typically areligious Federation.

TNG also dabbled in spiritual/religious themes, just not as heavily as DS9.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:04 pm »
Here's the thing.... on Star Trek the human race is supposed to be evolved.... thus why the crew always gets along, they always take the moral high ground ect....  It's perfectly acceptable to explore an alien religion so long as only the aliens believe in it.... because the humans can't as they have evolved past it.  Early on when Ben was accepting of the Bajoran's belief that he was an emissary was fine.  He was respectful of their more primitive beliefs but he just believed the wormhole aliens to be aliens.  Towards the end when he was believing his own ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- was when it was bad.  Personal belief is also ok for humans.... they just have to accept that it isn't going to be used for a command decision as it's generally accepted that logic and reason are used to tackle problems and not faith.  I understand that what I just said might be offensive to some people, but that was Roddenberry's vision and a progressive agenda is part of the deal with Star Trek.  If you remove that it ceases to be Trek. 

I think the only other real exploration of human religion in Trek was Star Trek V... where the crew goes to find god and find the devil instead.  It was done fairly well by keeping things ambiguous  (could just be interpreted as an alien) but that didn't keep people from hating it.  I have a soft spot for it personally but it's walking a razor's edge with that theme.  The fact that it's TOS cast helps a little bit. 

Lew:  They "nerfed" all those aliens on voyager because nobody liked them and the ratings reflected that.  Things didn't turn around for voyager until 7of9 showed up and their primary antagonists became the borg.  There wasn't a single beloved alien created for voyager and towards the end they had Ferengi and Klingons on the show despite the fact that they were too far away to realistically encounter them.  The Vidions and Herogin  were kind of fan favorites.... kind of...

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: September 24, 2020, 11:26:38 am »
I hated the Bajoran crap in DS9. Especially in the series finale where the showdown between Sisko and Dukat in Mt. Doom was so blatantly tacked-on. What a way to ruin an episode. Dukat was a great character throughout the series as well until season 7 came along with the Pah Wraith horse ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. The Federation is at of near total-war that is reaching it tipping point and the audience's time is wasted with Nurse Ratched trying to read the Necronomicon. Bleh.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #270 on: September 24, 2020, 01:22:57 pm »
So last night's episode of Picard was the one with Will and Deanna.  It was just nice to see them all together again.  It's hard to believe the "new" Star Trek crew are all old men and women now.  Where has the time gone?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:35:09 pm by javeryh »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #271 on: September 24, 2020, 02:50:02 pm »
So last night's episode of Picard was the one with Will and Deanna.  It was just nice to see them all together again.  It's hard to believe the "new" Star Trek crew are all old men and women now.  Where has the time gone?

That was my favorite episode of the season.  Would love to see more Riker in season 2.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #272 on: September 24, 2020, 02:55:26 pm »
To be fair the "new" tng cast looks much better in their press junkets and what have you.  I think they intentionally didn't use the typical hollywood tricks so they would look older on screen.   Frakes is super old though... he just didn't look it for quite a while.  The dude was Ashley Longworth Jr. on the Waltons and that would have been mid 70's. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2020, 03:01:07 pm »
They should just do a series where all of the characters are in a nursing home and their adventures on the Enterprise are just delusions brought on by dementia.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2020, 03:03:48 pm »
Isn't that the plot of TOS movies?  With the reboots being once everyone but Kirk are dead and he remembers looking like Chris Pine?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2020, 03:14:24 pm »
Frakes is super old though... he just didn't look it for quite a while.  The dude was Ashley Longworth Jr. on the Waltons and that would have been mid 70's.

Holy cow!  I didn't realize he had been acting in the 70's.  Even has an episode of Fantasy Island under his belt.  To be fair people (actors anyway) just aren't aging like they used to.

Isn't that the plot of TOS movies?  With the reboots being once everyone but Kirk are dead and he remembers looking like Chris Pine?

The odd-numbered TOS movies are the best of Star Trek far and away IMHO.  I would even throw First Contact into that mix.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2020, 04:50:01 pm »
Frakes is super old though... he just didn't look it for quite a while.  The dude was Ashley Longworth Jr. on the Waltons and that would have been mid 70's.

Holy cow!  I didn't realize he had been acting in the 70's.  Even has an episode of Fantasy Island under his belt.  To be fair people (actors anyway) just aren't aging like they used to.

The odd-numbered TOS movies are the best of Star Trek far and away IMHO.  I would even throw First Contact into that mix.

I haven't seen those TNG movies in over a decade, but didn't they break the enterprise every movie?

Kirk and his team had a better track record in that department.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2020, 12:12:01 pm »

I haven't seen those TNG movies in over a decade, but didn't they break the enterprise every movie?

Kirk and his team had a better track record in that department.

Sheesh.  I meant the even numbered movies are great.  The odd ones (except for III) are pretty bad.   :banghead:

They blew it up in III.  Reportedly the special effects artists at ILM hated the Enterprise model so much they took great joy in destroying it.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #278 on: September 27, 2020, 02:24:56 pm »
IMO only Star Trek V out of the TOS films is bad. TMP is slow paced, yes but I still find it to be a good movie. Definitely niche though. It's a pure science fiction film, not sci-fi action adventure.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2020, 08:12:18 pm »
Dear god no... three is the stinker.  The entire thing is a plot contrivance to get Leonard Nemoy playing spock again.  V just had budgetary problems and two or three weird scenes.