Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong  (Read 58421 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2018, 07:40:26 am »
I liked Voyager. think I have seen all the episodes.
It got kinda slow there for awhile, as they tended to base whole episodes around a certain character, and sometimes they carry that out into other episodes.
Felt more like the chick flicks I was forced to watch in the past.
But I have seen TNG do that a lot too.

Not meaning to change the topic, but  how about Star Trek Enterprise?
I liked it,  but like Voyager, it ended abruptly too. (I havent checked lately, but Enterprise episodes were on Netflix)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2018, 02:06:48 pm »
Enterprise was a refreshingly good series, but Moonves killed it just as it was getting good.  The first season, like most Trek shows kind of sucked because it was doing re-treads of the past shows and trying to find it's direction but as it was getting better, 9/11 happened and they went on that terrible Xindi arc that just sucked balls.  The episodes after that were really great though.  We got a clever explanation of why the Klingons look human in TOS (which Discovery ruined btw), we got an explanation of how Kahn escaped earth's authorities, some time travel... all kinds of good stuff.  But that sexual deviant Moonves didn't like scifi, so as soon he killed it at the earliest opportunity.  I'll remind you that he's also the reason we have 14 CSI spin-offs, so yeah, it's great that he's no longer involved with television. 

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2018, 04:07:42 pm »
Picard series is the only thing I have hope for. I'm done with prequels. Everything Trek since 2002 has just been prequels, and all they do is retcon ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- and screw up existing continuity.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2018, 09:05:23 pm »
Yeah I don't get it and I don't get this direction Hollywood is taking in general.  When you are a kid and somebody is reading you a story do you ask "what happens next?" or "what's the origin of that character?" 

They could have brought back TNG in the 2000's and everybody would have been happy.  Use the new movie ship, go on new adventures, ect. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »
Yeah I don't get it and I don't get this direction Hollywood is taking in general.  When you are a kid and somebody is reading you a story do you ask "what happens next?" or "what's the origin of that character?" 

They could have brought back TNG in the 2000's and everybody would have been happy.  Use the new movie ship, go on new adventures, ect. 

Since the 80s, the youth have been where the money is. Disney has shown those over thirty, especially parents, do not matter. And the youth want their own kind of stories. Soon everything will be youth fiction.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »

Since the 80s, the youth have been where the money is. Disney has shown those over thirty, especially parents, do not matter. And the youth want their own kind of stories. Soon everything will be youth fiction.

Then why do these franchises just keep falling back on the stuff that's familiar to the over thirty parents? Why does Star Trek keep going back to Spock and the original Enterprise? Why does Star Wars, instead of expanding on the universe, just go back and give us ---smurfy--- stories about how Han Solo met Chewbacca and Lando, or how Leia ended up with the Death Star plans?

Both of these franchises have limitless options for storytelling, but all we end up getting is rehashed characters and the same stories told over and over.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2018, 07:50:29 pm »
@Osiris: they killed Han. Most everything else the characters* make the series. In looking up coming MCU and DCU movies the other night, there were some speculations about non-standard character movies. Cloak and Dagger have their own TV show. And that's where things are going. The FX are up there, so why spend hundreds of millions on movies?

*The main Avengers actors are saying they're done. Jackman has said he's done. Black Widow is not a main Avenger, however much some might want to think so, but she and other female characters are becoming main fare, meaning new actors, new characters, new stories.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:52:33 pm by Mr. Peabody »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2018, 08:45:39 pm »
@Osiris: they killed Han.

Boy, did they ever.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2018, 01:39:25 pm »
@Osirus23  LOL.  Btw you can't tell me that the poster doesn't look like something they mocked up for one of the fantasy sequences on Community. 

Actually.... not all of that is true.  The main avengers know that their contracts are about to expire and they are holding out for more money.  Jackman has already said that if they give wolverine something interesting to do (like bring him into the marvel universe proper) he might return.  In Hollywood nobody says what they mean, you have to read between the lines a little. 

It isn't that the under 30 demographic is important, but rather the films released only appeal to those under 30.  Why?  Because they keep rehasing the same damn stories over and over as well as casting lackluster actors to do prequels involving legendary characters and actors. 

You know why the rebooted Star Trek movies are now in a downward spiral?  Because Chris Pine isn't William Shatner.  Sure for the first couple of movies the fact that "it's a new exciting direction" will get people to the seats, but new sfx, curiosity and nostalgia will only take you so far... At some point good actors and stories faithful to the source material are required.  Since you can never go home again, reboots and prequels are doomed to fail from the start.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2018, 06:03:03 pm »
Wait. William Shatner is a good actor??  ROFL GTFO!  :lol

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2018, 07:22:25 pm »
You know why the rebooted Star Trek movies are now in a downward spiral?  Because Chris Pine isn't William Shatner.  Sure for the first couple of movies the fact that "it's a new exciting direction" will get people to the seats, but new sfx, curiosity and nostalgia will only take you so far... At some point good actors and stories faithful to the source material are required.  Since you can never go home again, reboots and prequels are doomed to fail from the start.

While I thought Pine did a fantastic job (particularly in the first movie) he is no Shatner.   Shatner as Kirk is what makes Star Trek for me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2018, 07:27:10 pm »
Say what you want, but you remember every Shatner performance while traditionally "good" actors are often quite forgettable.  Some actors define the role they are put in. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2018, 07:48:47 pm »

While I thought Pine did a fantastic job (particularly in the first movie) he is no Shatner.   Shatner as Kirk is what makes Star Trek for me.

Which is why Pine would have done just fine playing a new character instead of trying to retread everything.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2018, 04:59:06 pm »

Which is why Pine would have done just fine playing a new character instead of trying to retread everything.

There are scads more interesting universes that are plausible, from book authors.

Star Trek 2009 was every modern geek's fantasy: Rebel Without a Cause, cum 22nd century - each character has attitude - hot green chick, with Lara Croft elements - Vulcan is not a Utopia/Spock is the primal geek so he must be bullied - hotrod looking Enterprise......what else?.......

What Howard said about Hollywood could be so. Certainly regarding Jackman, who likes substantive characters. I think Downey is fine with Iron Man (though his Sherlock Holmes was a lot better, more interesting character; those stories are good, too). I think Hemsworth has enjoyed Thor's growth out of innocence. He's the most interesting character in the MCU. I think Chris Evans wants more of that kind of thing in his character, and in the MCU. The MCU could and should be written more like the 60s/70s comics.

On a different note, I wouldn't be surprised if Evans is getting a little worn out. He got big for Captain America, and like Hemsworth and Henry Cavill has gradually gone down in mass. He has no chest, and they've padded his suit the last two or three movies.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2019, 09:59:46 pm »
So Amazon is having a sale this week on some of their associated channels such as Brit Box and CBS All Access.   Is Discovery worth watching?  I was thinking of buying a month or two and then binge watching the three seasons.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2019, 10:34:15 pm »
It's worth pirating....  ;D  Please don't encourage them by paying actual cash money.  Hopefully Picard will be better. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2019, 11:05:15 pm »
It's worth pirating....  ;D  Please don't encourage them by paying actual cash money.  Hopefully Picard will be better.

You are not making it sound enticing.  :)

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2019, 09:20:24 pm »
Is Discovery worth watching?

This should help answer that question.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2019, 02:09:41 am »
I'd say the time suit nonsense was even worse than the parody you posted.  It was kind of like how cookie monster "eats" cookies by flapping his jaw and crumbling them really fast in his hands so they actually just fall to the floor..... but filmed in reverse. 

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2020, 02:56:59 pm »
That's a fantastic summary. I really hate when they over power a character. The actress who plays Michael isn't my favorite, but I don't know if it would even matter because her character is so smart, strong, etc.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2020, 08:17:00 pm »
  :dunno

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:32 am »
I'm sorry but that's nothing new. That's the same insignia the Air Force Space Command has used since the early 80s.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2020, 12:39:21 pm »
Kinda.... The colors, circular banner, star clusters and swooping orbit lines were all changed to be much more similar to the federation badge.

I like it though.  :dunno

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2020, 12:41:30 pm »
For reference:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2020, 03:15:57 pm »
I think it's pretty fitting that he uses a logo from a fictional military organization to represent his fictional military organization.  ;)

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2020, 04:33:41 pm »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2020, 04:39:51 pm »
So asteroids got the space ship shape right at least. Visionaries at Atari in the late 70's.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2020, 03:31:35 pm »
I just finished watching season 2 of The Orville. That show legitimately feels like I am watching Star Trek, in particular if I feel like I am watching  more Voyager. It feels like Voyager if Voyager made a lot more current pop culture references and 2020 CGI. I dont get how a show that is trying to be so careful not to infringe on Star Trek copyright is way more Star Trek than anything else that has come out.

So far the doctor from Voyager was in an episode, Tuvak from Voyager was in an episode. Probably everyone in the Voyager cast will show up eventually.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2020, 03:39:20 pm »
Not anymore.  Prior to Picard they were free to do guest spots but now if they want to guest star or direct on that show they can't do the Orville.  At least that's the rumor.

Btw I stopped chiming in due to personal issues but to sum up Picard it was pretty decent until those last two or three episodes and then all the plot threads they were building were kind of dropped in a big mess of an ending.  Also Data giving a Picard a life lesson about mortality by having Picard kill him only for Picard himself to be resurrected in the next scene is pretty tone deaf.  They have all the beats there but maybe they should go back to episodic tv as they sure as hell aren't talented enough to pull off a serialized storyline. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2020, 04:10:50 pm »
I just started Season 2 of Discovery.  I think I like it better than Season 1 so far?  I'm only 2 episodes in though.  Season 1 was OKish but not really Star Trek.  It was all action and no social commentary or moral questions at all.

I do like most of the crew/characters but I wish they had better writers.  Doug Jones is insane.  Even the way Saru walks is unique.  Really incredible performance.  Tilly seems like an actual human and not a victoria's secret model with glasses (so you know she's a bookworm!).  The main character is a little too smart but it's fine I guess.  No smarter than anyone on the Enterprise who could always pull a solution out of thin air no matter the situation - just reverse the polarity and use some tachions or something!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2020, 04:19:17 pm »
I just finished season two of Discovery and have one episode of Picard left.  Both are much better than I was expecting.  Discovery in particular has been very enjoyable and I'm really looking forward to season three.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2020, 07:15:59 pm »
I just started Season 2 of Discovery.  I think I like it better than Season 1 so far?  I'm only 2 episodes in though.  Season 1 was OKish but not really Star Trek.  It was all action and no social commentary or moral questions at all.

I do like most of the crew/characters but I wish they had better writers.  Doug Jones is insane.  Even the way Saru walks is unique.  Really incredible performance.  Tilly seems like an actual human and not a victoria's secret model with glasses (so you know she's a bookworm!).  The main character is a little too smart but it's fine I guess.  No smarter than anyone on the Enterprise who could always pull a solution out of thin air no matter the situation - just reverse the polarity and use some tachions or something!

So I should choke down the rest of season 1 to get to season 2?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #232 on: August 25, 2020, 10:00:42 pm »
eh...  Captain Pike is pretty cool.  The plot is an even bigger mess than last season though and the finale is so stupid I almost threw something at the screen. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2020, 11:27:53 am »
Captain Pike is the best thing about any of the new Star Trek.  I'm really looking forward to the new series with his Enterprise.

I can't say I cared for the plot in Picard but I really enjoyed the characters.  Riker was fantastic.  The Romulan-Legolas was pretty cool too.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2020, 02:38:36 pm »
Yeah I think that's the problem.  You've got fantastic actors, fx/vfx artists and directors but terrible writers and fx/vfx designers.  They just need new people helming the ship so to speak. 

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #235 on: September 09, 2020, 07:34:37 am »
I normally do not delve into the 'non-arcade' threads.
But this one caught my eye.  :)

The first minute of this is my favorite. (ok - maybe top 3) Especially at "the wife is not home volume" with the bass a little higher than it should be.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:42:14 am by bperkins01 »
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2020, 01:19:39 am »
Best scene in Star Trek?

I don't know why jogs my memory.  8)

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2020, 03:14:07 pm »
I really enjoyed Enterprise. But I agree with Howard, it got messed up very near the end, and the finale sucked rotten oranges. Just didnt end right.
And Voyager's ending was even worse. Maybe I just dont like a series I like come to an end?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2020, 06:04:27 pm »
The problem with Voyager was we didn't get an ending.  I mean are the maquis crew members going to prison?  Will the doctor be treated as a crewmember or as property?  Are the Borg out of commission for good?  They get home which is great but no epilogue after 7 years of trying to get there is pretty lame.   

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2020, 08:53:23 pm »
Best scene in Star Trek?

I don't know why jogs my memory.  8)

is that all it jogs?