Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong  (Read 58411 times)

Cakemeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2018, 03:59:03 pm »
Eh... there is some merit in what dkersten is saying (coming from someone with a fancy home theater in his basement heh).  We watched Jumanji (the new one) a few weeks ago in 4K with the 7.2.4 Atmos firing on all cylinders and the buttkickers shaking the seats and I swear to god that movie is awesome.  I doubt I would feel that way if I had seen it on an airplane or something.  I know it isn't a great movie but watching it was a great experience.  In fact, every single movie I've watched in my theater seems better than it actually is.  The other night we watched Iron Man 2 and the entire family agreed it was WAY better than we all remembered.  Even TV like Stranger Things and A Series of Unfortunate Events seem totally epic. 

:dunno

Hmmm. Watch Battlefield Earth and post back.
Old, but not obsolete.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2018, 04:24:52 pm »
I enjoy watching Wil Wheaton review board games on Tabletop....

Tabletop is awesome. Introduced to me to modern board gaming which turns out is a really fun hobby.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2018, 04:37:48 pm »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2018, 10:26:54 pm »
He wanted to do a Director's Cut in the early 00s but Paramount wouldn't go for it. I don't think there was any salvaging that turd, anyway.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2018, 10:51:35 pm »
Paramount should went for it just so they could title it: Star Trek V: Shatner's cut...More Shatty than ever before."

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2018, 11:39:52 pm »
Eh... there is some merit in what dkersten is saying (coming from someone with a fancy home theater in his basement heh).  We watched Jumanji (the new one) a few weeks ago in 4K with the 7.2.4 Atmos firing on all cylinders and the buttkickers shaking the seats and I swear to god that movie is awesome.  I doubt I would feel that way if I had seen it on an airplane or something.  I know it isn't a great movie but watching it was a great experience.  In fact, every single movie I've watched in my theater seems better than it actually is.  The other night we watched Iron Man 2 and the entire family agreed it was WAY better than we all remembered.  Even TV like Stranger Things and A Series of Unfortunate Events seem totally epic. 

Better than any Star Wars movie any day...
%Bartop

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2018, 02:08:01 pm »
Wait a second... TWO main characters aren't what they seem???  What the hell is going on?  I have 1 episode left and I don't know what to think.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2018, 06:26:45 am »

Thaat's a negatory. I thought it looked dumb when released, and didn't care to see it. Decided to visit it last month and couldn't get past twenty minutes, and that was being gratuitous.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2018, 10:09:06 am »

A great theater won't elevate a complete turd into something fun to watch but it does elevate an OK movie to something better.  Watching a movie (to me) is the entire experience - not just what is on the screen.  It's the size of the screen, the clarity of the audio and video, the comfort of the seats, the darkness of the room, the smell of popcorn, the taste of beer, who you are with, etc.  All of these things add up.  So while the actual movie might be lacking in plot, pacing, acting, effects, etc. the overall experience can still be fun because of all the other stuff.   

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2018, 10:45:55 am »

Thaat's a negatory. I thought it looked dumb when released, and didn't care to see it. Decided to visit it last month and couldn't get past twenty minutes, and that was being gratuitous.
%Bartop

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2018, 11:17:48 am »

I re-read the Battlefield Earth this summer and finally watched the movie.  The book wasn't as good as I remembered from high school but also wasn't as bad as I expected if that makes sense.

The movie was a complete and utter turd.  It really lived down to the hype.

The

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2018, 11:19:07 am »
I'm not saying Battlefield Earth is a good movie. I'm saying the Star Wars franchise is complete ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.
%Bartop

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2018, 12:08:31 am »
@wp34: my dad was reading Battlefield Earth when I was in junior high. The cover and back cover description did not impress me. Dystopian tropes of any sort have not spoken to me.

I'm not saying Battlefield Earth is a good movie. I'm saying the Star Wars franchise is complete ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

The notion of galactic empire is ridiculous, simply because AI....unless having the humor of Harlan Ellison's AC.....won't allow it. But Star Wars and Empire Strikes back are great movies. Franchises, well......  Temple of Doom was a fine idea executed undesirably...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 12:15:14 am by Mr. Peabody »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2018, 04:24:13 pm »
Let's not compare Temple of Doom to the unmitigated garbage that are modern Star Wars films.  TOD was just a mediocre installment in any otherwise stellar trilogy... it wasn't prequel levels of bad. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2018, 01:05:46 am »
Let's not compare Temple of Doom to the unmitigated garbage that are modern Star Wars films.  TOD was just a mediocre installment in any otherwise stellar trilogy... it wasn't prequel levels of bad. 

There was no comparison. That bit was saying franchises can be wonky, but in the case of Indy, Temple of Doom was as you said.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2018, 10:58:21 pm »
El Capitan Kirk - Official Trailer

Mash up of Star Trek V and the Alex Honnold documentary "Free Solo".  This is brilliant.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2018, 03:01:38 pm »
I've been re-watching Voyager lately. I'm about halfway through season 4, and I can still say that the show has a lot of forgettable episodes. It's not as bad as I remember, though, and it's still better than watching that train-wreck they call Discovery.
I'm not sure if I'd rank Voyager higher than Enterprise...maybe they're about the same level of "blah" with Voyager coming ahead a bit.

Regardless, I'll finish out the seasons and reassess. I don't actually remember watching the last couple seasons when they were released, probably because at that point I've moved on from watching this show.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2018, 05:44:25 pm »
I really like Voyager back when it aired, I would be watching it every week. Have not really watched it since. This guy I have been watching on youtube has some interesting thoughts on why Voyager is the worst Star Track, he also blames Voyager for ruining the Borg which I think is funny.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2018, 02:16:14 am »
Borg were ultimate baddies. Then Voyager pasteurized them.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2018, 01:23:34 pm »
It really didn't.  Star Trek First Contact introduced all of the new troupes and weaknesses that were further explored in Voyager but everybody ignores that because it was a really good movie.  Some of the stuff they did with the Q was questionable though. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2018, 02:57:56 pm »
I am still pissed with First Contact when they introduced the queen. The borg were supposed to be like an ant colony, you were really never supposed to fully understand how they work. They put her in because they thought they needed a movie villain that could talk; and she was not even weird or interesting just a person walking around talking about perfection and other nonsense like a normal human nothing about her was borg at all.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2018, 05:39:50 pm »
I am still pissed with First Contact when they introduced the queen. The borg were supposed to be like an ant colony, you were really never supposed to fully understand how they work. They put her in because they thought they needed a movie villain that could talk; and she was not even weird or interesting just a person walking around talking about perfection and other nonsense like a normal human nothing about her was borg at all.

I agree. The initial concept of the borg was cool. First Contact and later Voyager completely ruined it, though.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2018, 05:16:39 pm »
The Borg concept is not realistic. Anything that computes at a decent level realizes the universe is thermodynamic. There is change. Increased capacity comes from incorporating function, not necessarily form. Borg is a manifestation of fear of artifice and augmentation. Again, that inclination for dystopia.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2018, 08:59:49 pm »
The Borg concept is not realistic. Anything that computes at a decent level realizes the universe is thermodynamic. There is change. Increased capacity comes from incorporating function, not necessarily form. Borg is a manifestation of fear of artifice and augmentation. Again, that inclination for dystopia.

It's absolutely realistic.... or as realisitc as a pretend cybernetic race with collective conscinous can be anyway.  They don't just aquire the physical bodies of their victims, but much more importnatly their collective technology, memories and intelligence.  They assimilate to learn and the people that they aqurie in the process are just spare parts that they can toss aside at their leisure or keep as more disposable drones to go out and aquire even more data. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2018, 10:29:14 pm »

It's absolutely realistic.... or as realisitc as a pretend cybernetic race with collective conscinous can be anyway.  They don't just aquire the physical bodies of their victims, but much more importnatly their collective technology, memories and intelligence.  They assimilate to learn and the people that they aqurie in the process are just spare parts that they can toss aside at their leisure or keep as more disposable drones to go out and aquire even more data. 

The Borg remind me of the Jarts in Eon, but nowhere near as interesting. The Jarts had an ethos. The Borg....they just Borg. No fun there. They needed Douglas Adams to have a chat with them.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:54:21 pm by Mr. Peabody »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2018, 12:51:36 pm »
I just watched Galaxy Quest on Amazon Prime last night and it was even better than I remember. Why did they never make a part 2? They successfully created a world were an align race watches old star trek episodes and actually make anything they see into a reality, this Thermians race is is like your dog wagging its tail when you get home and just wants humans or the people they have seen on TV to lead them and follow them around. Do you know how far you can go with that concept!

Some ideas for park 2, Tim Allen says hey let's restart the Galaxy Quest show but now we will do it in actual space on the actual spaceship.(what thats crazy we are actors not space men blah blah) They talk to the Thermains about wanting to create more historical documents, they are of course are in to it; they invent a ball camera that floats around everyone recording everything they do.

Maybe they can even have different factions of the Thermians that like the new generation of Star Trek, they create that and bring up Robot Chicken Versions of Jean Luc Picard.

Ow wait what is this a big bad is coming to earth to destroy it, ques Galaxy quest is the only ones that can stop it. At the end since it was all filmed they can be given interviews, hey those effects were really good but a blue beam almost destroyed the earth? isn't that just not lazy writing!

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2018, 12:51:56 am »
Youtube apparently was listening to this conversation, and offered A History of the Borg at the right the other night. It seems the majority of Borg story is in Voyager, which I have not seen. Still, they seem to be a runaway computer program. They assimilate - we should re-program them. Simple.

@fallacy: write it, option it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2018, 01:26:37 am »
Voyager is a damn fine series, so every Star Trek fan should watch it.  The only problem is it also features some of the worst stand-alone episodes in the history of the franchise, so at more than one point you'll throw your hands up in the air and say "ok, I'm done!"  You just have to power through in those instances. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2018, 01:52:53 am »
^ yes, exactly this.

There are some episodes that are very well written, I especially enjoy the borg humanizing, as well as the Doctor’s sentience episodes.
But there are so many filler episodes that I find myself losing interest, or are just silly enough to break you out of the fantasy. Like, as if they had a mixture of a-team writers, and interns. I am currently near the end of season 6, and it’s been enjoyable for the most part. I found seasons 1-4 were hit or miss.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2018, 10:39:48 am »
Voyager is a damn fine series, so every Star Trek fan should watch it.  The only problem is it also features some of the worst stand-alone episodes in the history of the franchise, so at more than one point you'll throw your hands up in the air and say "ok, I'm done!"  You just have to power through in those instances.

When Janeway and Tom Paris evolved into slugs and then had a slug baby and then they reversed the process to status quo by the end of the episode is when I knew definitively that Voyager is the worst Trek.

I did like the episodes with Species 1234 or whatever they were and how the Borg couldn't assimilate them but the way they handled the Borg overall was poor.  One cube used to make the Enterprise crap themselves but by the end of Voyager they were maneuvering through thousands of cubes with no issues plus teaming up with them!  Ridiculous garbage.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2018, 11:05:31 am »
They neutered the Borg and made every other episode involve time-travel or some other kind of "temporal anomaly" that ends in everything being fixed by a Deus Ex Machina. Voyager is easily the worst Trek.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2018, 07:45:36 pm »
The best scene in Star Trek?

In episode Harbinger on Enterprise.

You will have to watch it to enjoy it.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2018, 05:49:22 pm »
Typically, one must identify with or be stimulated by the characters in a story to continue with it........ Watching TV with the folks last night, between Black Sheep Squadron, TOS, TNG, and DS9, only Black Sheep Squadron interested me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2018, 08:27:28 pm »
Typically, one must identify with or be stimulated by the characters in a story to continue with it........ Watching TV with the folks last night, between Black Sheep Squadron, TOS, TNG, and DS9, only Black Sheep Squadron interested me.

Sorry you have such poor taste in television.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2018, 05:26:22 pm »

Sorry you have such poor taste in television.

TV is typically written for audience of the time. Easy to punch a hole in any of Star Trek, including the character personalities. Science-minded folk tend to dump scientific inquiry when it comes to entertainment.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2018, 05:29:53 pm »
Near the end of Season 7 for Voyager.  Just finished the episode with Seven and her obsession with the holodeck. Very weird, and creepy...

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2018, 05:28:50 pm »
Near the end of Season 7 for Voyager.  Just finished the episode with Seven and her obsession with the holodeck. Very weird, and creepy...

How so?

By the way, warp and hyperspace are different things. Warp is not a factor but a magnitude, hence no need for other propulsion systems, nor inertial dampening as there is no momentum. Further bonuses: a spatial warp is the ultimate shield - everything slides around you - and a great manipulator and constructor, as space can be made to your whim.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:45:14 pm by Mr. Peabody »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2018, 05:45:39 pm »

How so?

Other than the fact that she made a fantasy based around her real life, and is carrying on with romantic encounters with the first officer, or living out scenarios where she's the center of attention?  It doesn't matter if you're a guy or girl, that's some creepy sociopath stuff right there.

I finished Voyager over the weekend, it really was starting to get good near the end.  The episode (S07E21) that had first contact with those sign language aliens was brilliant. I love when star trek writers put a lot of thought into alien languages/communication to really give that sense of a completely different culture. I had the same feeling when watching the TNG episode of the metaphor language aliens, Darmok (S05E02).

It's too bad the series ended so abruptly. I would have liked to see another 10 mins of closure upon returning to Earth. Not the cop-out time altering temporal prime directive stuff they pulled, then get resolved in the end and having the crew just show up to earth's orbit and that's it. It's like, oh hey we made it back, roll credits...No grand welcoming, no peek into the life after returning from their epic journey.  It just felt like they had to rush the finale, which just translated to a hollow experience to close off the series. 

But in any case, re-watching Voyager has given me a lot more appreciation for it, especially after the train-wreck of Discovery.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2018, 07:23:43 pm »
I re-watched the pilot for Voyager over the weekend to remind myself why I didn't like the show.  To be honest I enjoyed it.  Some of the things I thought I remembered not liking were either not present or not as bad as I remembered. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2018, 04:09:02 pm »
When I second-guess the character or find them caricaturish or simply not adult, I can't watch. 60s and 70s TV I rarely have that experience, which is why I may watch it if it's on somewhere I'm at.

@opt2not: Hmm. I see self-exploration.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:10:54 pm by Mr. Peabody »