Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong  (Read 58399 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:32:46 pm »
I've seen all the movies and all the shows (except Enterprise, that one stunk)

Starting at 30 seconds in till about 1:20. Best minute of Star Trek ever.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: This is the best scene in all of Star Trek, prove me wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:13:54 pm »
LOL that doesn't even hit the top 500. 

1.  Star Trek II... Spock's death scene.
2.  There are FOUR lights!
3.  DS9, "root beer" monologue by Quark

Plus tons of other ones too numerous to mention like "Hello Computer" or "Double Dumbass on you!" ... "Too many marsh melons" ... "What does god want with a starship?"  ect.

The garbage reboots and ST Discovery are probably at the bottom of any "best scenes" list if you'd ask the average ST fan.  Also Enterprise was awesome towards the end. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:30:15 pm »
I've seen all the movies and all the shows (except Enterprise, that one stunk)

Starting at 30 seconds in till about 1:20. Best minute of Star Trek ever.

Nothing tops this scene in Star Trek II.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 09:05:01 pm »
Not. Even. Close.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:30 am »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:59:31 am »
Yup, all better than the first post. 

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 10:46:06 am »
Star Trek Next Gen is the only real Star Trek. I like at 1:40 hearing the Borge over the intercom and all the Star Trek fleet engaging and getting killed I was like Owwwww shi. If you watched the series they meet the borge because Q was board and wanted to teach Picard a lesson that there were things in space stronger than humans so he sent the Enterprise into the next guadrant over right in front of the Borge. The Borge scanned them, blew up half of their ship and as they are being chased down ready to be destroyed Q sends them back to earth. I think Guinan tells Picard at the end that they now know you exist and they will be heading for earth.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:03 am »
Your clip just made me sad to see Anton Yelchin.  I've driven one of those cars that killed him and it's absolutely the stupidest gear selector I've ever encountered. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 03:38:34 pm »
Star Trek Next Gen is the only real Star Trek. I like at 1:40 hearing the Borge over the intercom and all the Star Trek fleet engaging and getting killed I was like Owwwww shi. If you watched the series they meet the borge because Q was board and wanted to teach Picard a lesson that there were things in space stronger than humans so he sent the Enterprise into the next guadrant over right in front of the Borge. The Borge scanned them, blew up half of their ship and as they are being chased down ready to be destroyed Q sends them back to earth. I think Guinan tells Picard at the end that they now know you exist and they will be heading for earth.

There's no "e" in Borg.  ;)  First Contact was a damn good movie and I think if it weren't for Insurrection Johnathan Frakes would be a big time Hollywood director now.  "The line must be drawn here!" is one of the best scenes in the franchise.  I always thought it was a missed opportunity that Q wasn't in one of the movies.... with him along for the ride it offers a lot of opportunities to get away with stuff that would normally convolute the plot.  They could have had every living cast member from every ST show in one film..... why? .... because Q. 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 04:13:47 pm »
I liked Enterprise.  ::)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 05:23:57 pm »
Yup, all better than the first post.

Still unconvinced.

Trust me, I'm just as sad that it's from the new set of movies too, but that scene is hard to beat.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 07:56:12 pm »
No it's not.  Star Trek isn't about action... it's about character development, philosophy and emotion.  Any action scenes are purely incidental.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »
No it's not.  Star Trek isn't about action... it's about character development, philosophy and emotion.  Any action scenes are purely incidental.

Well, it's the best action scene in all of Star Trek. When compared to the best character development scene, philosophy scene, and emotion scene, the action scene I posted is the best of the best.

In this one scene, there is Spocks greatest realization as he embraces his human side and grows emotionally. Spock realizes that to be the best Vulcan he can be, he needs to allow his human attributes to shine. It grapples with the futility of man against impossible odds and how faith interwoven deeply into ones soul during trying times can overcome.

Not sure how you missed that.

lol

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:38:13 pm »
Any scene is Next Gen when Ryker had the hot visiting chick in his quarters and didn't say "i'm taking a crap" when he was expectedly called to the bridge.

That scene where kirk escaped the prison planet and the women with the cigar was about to tell him the whole plan and he was beamed out.

"guess who's coming to dinner"
"double dumb ass"

When they found the assassin's boots in the locker of the alien with elephant feet.

The whole crew shaking while the bridge didn't move in the first movie.

too many memorable scenes across all star treks.
well except the new one.
although the captain with the messed up eyes banging the admiral then send her to be Klingon food was pretty alpha.

damn now I want to watch the original motion pictures again.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 12:09:53 am »

Well, it's the best action scene in all of Star Trek. When compared to the best character development scene, philosophy scene, and emotion scene, the action scene I posted is the best of the best.

In this one scene, there is Spocks greatest realization as he embraces his human side and grows emotionally. Spock realizes that to be the best Vulcan he can be, he needs to allow his human attributes to shine. It grapples with the futility of man against impossible odds and how faith interwoven deeply into ones soul during trying times can overcome.

lol

But see, that's not Spock..... that's the serial killer from Heroes cosplaying as Spock who dates Uhura like some bad fan fiction.  I'm not sure how you missed that.  Also these are the garbage reboot films which lack emotion or depth at all but the most superficial levels.  Fire up the Wrath of Khan, watch Spock's death and eulogy.  If you don't start tearing up you are some sort of inhuman monster.  It's not only the best scene in all of Star Trek, it could very well be considered the best death scene in the history of cinema. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:16:06 am by Howard_Casto »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 01:28:26 am »

I almost forgot everyone knows that OG Tribble epesode or at least knows of it.

GO to Netflix < go to Deep Space Nine < Season 5  EP 6. It still holds up, you can thank me later for making you watch that  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:30:15 am by fallacy »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 08:19:42 am »
But see, that's not Spock..... that's the serial killer from Heroes cosplaying as Spock who dates Uhura like some bad fan fiction. 

Howard is 100% right.  It is fan fiction.  Entertaining but almost no emotional stakes.

Full Disclosure - I liked the first Star Trek reboot movie.  Particularly Chris Pine's riff on Kirk.  But he also had the benefit of not having to play opposite Shatner. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 11:25:19 am »

lol

But see, that's not Spock..... that's the serial killer from Heroes cosplaying as Spock who dates Uhura like some bad fan fiction.  I'm not sure how you missed that.  Also these are the garbage reboot films which lack emotion or depth at all but the most superficial levels.  Fire up the Wrath of Khan, watch Spock's death and eulogy.  If you don't start tearing up you are some sort of inhuman monster.  It's not only the best scene in all of Star Trek, it could very well be considered the best death scene in the history of cinema.

I love you Howard, so don’t get mad, but the hyperbole bro...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 01:56:23 pm »
"Don't get mad" but anyone that compares me to Trump is a piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Seriously you saw how mad it even made me for you to mention the piece of garbage's name in a thread and now you compare me to that monster.  Go ---fudgesicle--- yourself.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 02:52:27 pm »
Lighten up Francis.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 04:18:12 pm »
"Don't get mad" but anyone that compares me to Trump is a piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Seriously you saw how mad it even made me for you to mention the piece of garbage's name in a thread and now you compare me to that monster.  Go ---fudgesicle--- yourself.

Sigh. I knew you were going to get mad. But I’m just showing you how bad your hyperbole sounds sometimes. I read what you posted, and it’s the first thing I thought of.

Oh well, I’m man enough to own my words. I’ll go rub one out inside the Star Wars cockpit in your honor.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 04:58:16 pm »
But if you knew I was going to get mad then why did you say it?  Why did you intentionally try to hurt me?  I came back into this thread to apologize but now I see that you don't really deserve one.  We were talking about movies and I'm just trying to educate someone on why these films are important and because you don't agree you compare me to Hitler. 

I've mis-judged you, I thought you were a good guy but I was wrong, you are just like all the rest. 

The problem with these forums is I constantly have to be the better man because they aren't moderated anymore and even when they were nobody ever gets a perma-ban for highly inappropriate behavior.  I have people in a thread that in a cowardly passive-aggressive way tell me that they don't want me here and I have to be the better man and ignore it, then in another thread they aggressively me push me, I finally snap and tell them to back off they say things highly inappropriate and do they get banned or even reprimanded?  Nope that post just sits there... and I have to be the better man and let it go.  Then the next guy jumps on me, and then the next and now you of all people.  I'm sick of letting stuff go when I shouldn't have to, I'm sick of feeling like some of you really don't accept me or want me included when I've more than earned my spot and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. 

This place isn't healthy anymore and I'm beginning to wonder if it ever was.  To those that have been nice to me over the years I appreciate it, but I can't keep subjecting myself to this anymore.  So I'm gone, thanks for all the fish.  If Saint would give me a few weeks to make sure I have everything properly backed up from the Dragon King website I would appreciate it. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 05:37:56 pm »
Wow... lol

Too funny... Howard lighten up. He compared you to the President of the United States! I think Congratulations are in order! Howard "Making BYOAC Great Again!!!!"

:laugh2:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 05:44:39 pm »
Howard responds to a joke the same way Trump does.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:48:01 pm by Mike A »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 05:44:59 pm »
But if you knew I was going to get mad then why did you say it?  Why did you intentionally try to hurt me?  I came back into this thread to apologize but now I see that you don't really deserve one.  We were talking about movies and I'm just trying to educate someone on why these films are important and because you don't agree you compare me to Hitler. 

I've mis-judged you, I thought you were a good guy but I was wrong, you are just like all the rest. 

The problem with these forums is I constantly have to be the better man because they aren't moderated anymore and even when they were nobody ever gets a perma-ban for highly inappropriate behavior.  I have people in a thread that in a cowardly passive-aggressive way tell me that they don't want me here and I have to be the better man and ignore it, then in another thread they aggressively me push me, I finally snap and tell them to back off they say things highly inappropriate and do they get banned or even reprimanded?  Nope that post just sits there... and I have to be the better man and let it go.  Then the next guy jumps on me, and then the next and now you of all people.  I'm sick of letting stuff go when I shouldn't have to, I'm sick of feeling like some of you really don't accept me or want me included when I've more than earned my spot and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. 

This place isn't healthy anymore and I'm beginning to wonder if it ever was.  To those that have been nice to me over the years I appreciate it, but I can't keep subjecting myself to this anymore.  So I'm gone, thanks for all the fish.  If Saint would give me a few weeks to make sure I have everything properly backed up from the Dragon King website I would appreciate it.

Howard, if you were here in person, I would have said this to you to your face, with a smile on mine. And I guarantee you would have had one on yours as well.

You need some face to face time, some camaraderie. I like you, I truly do. I wish you were here with us, having dinner, playing games, laughing, the works. After the show last night, we went back the Opt2Not’s AirBNB and played Silk Worm on the NES. I wouldn’t trade that for the world.

So I’m sorry if you didn’t like the fact that I felt your hyperbole was Trumpian. But it was. I tell my friends things like that. And they get where I’m coming from.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 10:10:22 pm »
All the Rules of Acquisition are amongst my favorite.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Rules_of_Acquisition

It's not really resizable to pick one "Best moment" for a show thats been around for 50 years.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 03:33:36 pm »
Wrong, everyone is wrong.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 03:56:15 pm »
I have to say out of all the many versions of Star Trek through the years my heart belongs with TNG.  But I have linked my favorite movie scene below.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 04:16:20 pm »
I have to say out of all the many versions of Star Trek through the years my heart belongs with TNG.  But I have linked my favorite movie scene below.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 05:45:52 pm »
You need some face to face time, some camaraderie. I like you, I truly do. I wish you were here with us, having dinner, playing games, laughing, the works. After the show last night, we went back the Opt2Not’s AirBNB and played Silk Worm on the NES. I wouldn’t trade that for the world.
Man, that Silk Worm game is so much fun with friends!  It's making me consider getting the Arcade board, it's dirt cheap too @ around $50.  Good value for a fun title.

We also played some Dr. Mario, which I'd like to remind the Zapcon bros that I absolutely dominated in  :D ...but Neph fired back at me with his Yoshi dominance (not Yoshi's cookie, the other Yoshi NES puzzle game). AND THEN, harveybirdman destroyed us at Super Dodge Ball... it was great times, good camaraderie, and awesome competition of our skills.

Next year if I go again, I'd like to bring another console set-up like that again for everyone to enjoy after convention hours.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:47:26 pm by opt2not »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 05:58:28 pm »
Maybe you could invite the new guy. :'(

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 07:42:03 pm »
Man, that Silk Worm game is so much fun with friends!  It's making me consider getting the Arcade board, it's dirt cheap too @ around $50.  Good value for a fun title.

We also played some Dr. Mario, which I'd like to remind the Zapcon bros that I absolutely dominated in  :D ...but Neph fired back at me with his Yoshi dominance (not Yoshi's cookie, the other Yoshi NES puzzle game). AND THEN, harveybirdman destroyed us at Super Dodge Ball... it was great times, good camaraderie, and awesome competition of our skills.

Next year if I go again, I'd like to bring another console set-up like that again for everyone to enjoy after convention hours.

I already told the ol’ lady I’m spending one night at the Pac house next year....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 11:18:59 pm »

I already told the ol’ lady I’m spending one night at the Pac house next year....
Sweet, you and H_C can share the bunk bed.  >:D

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 03:57:55 pm »
LOL that doesn't even hit the top 500. 

1.  Star Trek II... Spock's death scene.

Plus tons of other ones too numerous to mention like "Hello Computer" or "Double Dumbass on you!"

The garbage reboots and ST Discovery are probably at the bottom of any "best scenes" list if you'd ask the average ST fan.  Also Enterprise was awesome towards the end. 

I am not a fan, and I approve these.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:59:53 pm by Mr. Peabody »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 04:09:08 pm »
Anyone watching Star Trek: Discovery?  I just watched the first 2 episodes last night and it seems OK I guess.  I was a little sleepy from reading all the subtitled Klingon but I'll probably keep watching it.  Also, what were they thinking?  No way casual fans will sit through characters speaking a made-up language for large chunks of time.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 08:42:05 pm »
I want to say it'll get better, but it really depends on what kind of fan you are. They play fast and loose with cannon. Some of the story falls apart under scrutiny.

All in all, it was a good watch to me.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 11:18:28 pm »
Anyone watching Star Trek: Discovery?  I just watched the first 2 episodes last night and it seems OK I guess.  I was a little sleepy from reading all the subtitled Klingon but I'll probably keep watching it.  Also, what were they thinking?  No way casual fans will sit through characters speaking a made-up language for large chunks of time.
Opinions here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155359.0.html

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 11:28:37 am »
I want to say it'll get better, but it really depends on what kind of fan you are. They play fast and loose with cannon. Some of the story falls apart under scrutiny.

All in all, it was a good watch to me.

I don't really care about canon as long as the story is good.  I've watched all the trek out there (TV and movies) so I'm a fan but I am not obsessed with the lore and everything.  I loved the 3 new movies even though they weren't "true" Star Trek movies to the hardcore fans.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:19 pm »
If everyone could maybe not cuss that'd be swell - thanks :)

The only bad Trek was Voyager. There, I said it. I feel better.

--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com